Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 30 Apr 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3900797)   #1
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Roland Ratzenberger-25 years

This is the 25th Anniversary of the death of Roland Ratzenberger at Imola. A terrible component to a weekend that became even worse the following day with Senna's death.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3900811)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
25 years. Unbelievable.....
Old 30 Apr 2019, 23:23 (Ref:3900878)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I know, it’s a long time ago. How quickly tragedies like that can be easily forgotten
Old 1 May 2019, 01:36 (Ref:3900894)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Wonderful person, talented driver and so tragic the way it ended. Astonishing that it has been 25 years - RIP Roland.
Old 1 May 2019, 08:56 (Ref:3900927)   #5
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roland Ratzenberger is part of probably my earliest identifiable racing memory, of him winning the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch. I remember the finals day was running behind schedule because of various accidents and it was getting dark and gloomy - and my dad was only going to be able to keep me out so late too! We watched the last race from the banking outside of Clearways (where the Foulston centre - is it still called that? - is now) so that we could make a quick getaway to what was then the muddy field full of cars.

I don't remember too much of the race, but I remember the commentator saying he'd won as he crossed the line (couldn't see from where we were). In those days, if you won the festival you were pretty much certainly destined for great things - and he was, but they were taken away from him tragically. 25 years... (and rather more since that childhood Sunday). Drive well, Roland.
Old 1 May 2019, 11:57 (Ref:3900971)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I know, it’s a long time ago. How quickly tragedies like that can be easily forgotten
I suspect that very few of us who were watching motor racing at that time will ever forget that weekend. I certainly won't.
Old 1 May 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3900976)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
25 years ago.

RIP
Old 1 May 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3901027)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If there's one good thing, it has helped make F1 even safer today. RIP Roland
Old 1 May 2019, 23:20 (Ref:3901097)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I suspect that very few of us who were watching motor racing at that time will ever forget that weekend. I certainly won't.
Ditto.

It was like we were waiting for the next accident.

Awful awful weekend of motorsport.

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 May 2019, 09:37 (Ref:3901157)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

I see what you mean. That was not a good time. What happened that weekend, it just all seemed to happen at once for some reason
Old 2 May 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3901171)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

It was a weekend that just seemed to go wrong from the beginning. No wonder so many rule changes for safety were bought in after
Old 2 May 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3901282)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Ditto.

It was like we were waiting for the next accident.

Awful awful weekend of motorsport.

That year, 1994, started badly with two deaths during Daytona Speedweeks. My boss had been at the Speedway both days, and had been a longtime friend of one of the drivers. I did not realize how much she was following Motor Racing until that Monday morning after San Marino when she came to my desk and hugged me with tears in her eyes, knowing that I was a road racing fan and that I had had a bad weekend of following my world of racing. It was not long after the San Marino weekend then we were stunned by the Wendlinger crash at Monaco. Fortunatly Wendlinger recovered, but his accident and initial condition further took the oxygen away from the room.
Old 2 May 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3901334)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

Well it was a bad time. Motor racing hadn’t quite reached the right level of safety, although it was probably a bit more enjoyable at the time. Certainly more accessible. That weekend, as I said everything went wrong. And Wendlinger did have a lucky escape. Although it did pretty much end his F1 career. Thankfully F1 got progressively safer after that
Old 2 May 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3901345)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

It was a wake up call though. Suddenly more work needed to be done. Ok so there were a few knee jerk reactions, but safety changed for the better
Old 5 May 2019, 00:23 (Ref:3901901)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motor Racing is Dangerous! End of story...

I'm sure that the current crop of drivers are well aware of that...and don't drive with abandon thinking they are immune from injury in their "safety cocoons"...
Old 5 May 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3901941)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

You're right there. It's safer, but not 100% safe

The unexpected can still happen and as long as cars are still being pushed to the limit, it will always be dangerous