Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Feb 2003, 11:47 (Ref:518185)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audi says no to F1

Just to back up the FIA's position and contradict Willam's and McLaren's recent comments, Audi says it has no plans to enter F1 due to the costs involved.

www.grandprix.com/ns/ns08696.html
Old 26 Feb 2003, 11:49 (Ref:518189)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Stick in the muds
Old 26 Feb 2003, 12:29 (Ref:518218)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or maybe shrewd, reported to have spent less than £50M winning sports car races all over the world, inc the major US races and Le Mans.

What 'sells' your brands image of build quality and reliability more, a 1-2-3 in a 24 hour race, or having your cutting edge F1 machine belching smoke, for at least 6 times the cost?
Old 26 Feb 2003, 12:48 (Ref:518245)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think the amount of audis that pass you on the motorway is testament to their nous...
Old 26 Feb 2003, 12:59 (Ref:518260)   #5
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

When you look at it this way, then all the companies in F1 are fools! Maybe in 2008 the break away series won't be "F1" but...
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:14 (Ref:518277)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at it this way - Peugeot leave F1 after a torrid time and spend just £30 million to win the WRC...
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:49 (Ref:518326)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by slicktoast
When you look at it this way, then all the companies in F1 are fools! Maybe in 2008 the break away series won't be "F1" but...
On the button, matey!
Old 26 Feb 2003, 15:37 (Ref:518401)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audio are defiantely right not to enter, as it would cost a fortuen to be competitive, especially in a few years when Toyota have really reaped the results of their spending.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 16:23 (Ref:518431)   #9
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope VW build an engine for CART in 2005.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 03:13 (Ref:518864)   #10
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi is not sending a factory team to Le Mans from what i have heard
Old 27 Feb 2003, 03:27 (Ref:518872)   #11
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
What 'sells' your brands image of build quality and reliability more, a 1-2-3 in a 24 hour race, or having your cutting edge F1 machine belching smoke, for at least 6 times the cost?
Were you referring to Jaguar, or car makers in general?
Old 27 Feb 2003, 03:31 (Ref:518876)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
"We Couldn't Beat Ferrari Either" would hardly be a great advertising slogan for Audi,no ones going to rush in to F1 when theres no hope of winning anything.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 03:41 (Ref:518883)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Look at it this way: if Audi enterred F1, just how long do you think it will take before they could win the WCC? and if they did not win the WCC or WDC, what benefit would it reap from enterring F1? And what harm would occur if they came last in races or on the grid?
Being an F1 enthusiast I would dearly like to see many more teams in F1, but I cannot see the wisdom of any car manufacturer enterring the sport, no matter how much the expenditure, if they could not reap positive benefits like improved sales.
On the same tack, I can see Ford pulling Jaguar out of F1 if either Jordan or Minardi started to beat them.
On the other hand, non car manufacturers entering the sport would not have the same problems. I mean Sorbent or Kleenex toilet rolls would really benefit - we come last and clean up the rear could be their slogan.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 27 Feb 2003 at 03:45.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 03:56 (Ref:518891)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would anyone go into F1 when it costs in excess of $300,000,000 to challenge for the championship? I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari even reconsiders it in the near future....they're not doing so well financially.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Feb 2003, 04:12 (Ref:518902)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Jay, please don't do that. Things are gloomy enough as it is.
If Ferrari has to pull out of F1, I would not be surprised if several other manufacturers follow.
Remember Mercedes pulled out when they were at the top? I also remember Lancia pulling out.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 27 Feb 2003 at 04:13.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 05:04 (Ref:518922)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, F1 has to do something about it. Reduce costs, that's the only answer I can see... make it more appealing for companies that might not be as large as Honda, Toyota and Ford to enter teams in F1. Perhaps add a bit of 'spec' to the series to ensure the competition isn't determined so much by dollars and cents. Perhaps change F1 from 'What you can do with half a billion dollars(if you have it)' to 'What you can do with 50 million dollars'.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Feb 2003, 08:19 (Ref:519007)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Jay, you are preaching to the converted
Old 27 Feb 2003, 08:55 (Ref:519036)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not surprised Audi will not enter F1. They've just won Le Mans 3-4 years in a row, last year with a 1-2-3. Why ruin their reputation by spending five years in F1, worth a billion dollars, and not win?

Wise decision makers I say.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 13:09 (Ref:519271)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Yeah!! and Le Mans has a bigger following among the general motor racing fans than F1, and costs a helluva lot less to run a team. They win 1 race, they get to advertise it all year.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 09:53 (Ref:520245)   #20
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is Audi taking a backstep from motorsport,
less interest in Le Mans (private teams entering the R8)
No F1,
are they going to quit everything.

Although...The Audi group seens to still have an interest (Le Mans Bently) it could be that tghey just dont want Audi to have the motorsport money.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 10:21 (Ref:520268)   #21
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
From what I've read the focus is on Bentley this year, but Audi importers are still backing privateer cars.

Next year I believe there will be a new Audi sports car..certainly no interest in F1 though due to the horrific costs, which is potentially bad news for Sauber who have been courting VW/Audi for years and invested big money into their factory in order to become a big player (hopefully in partnership with a car maker).

This is why I cannot understand Ron and Franks argument that dumbing down will put manufacturers off. Two teams have gone broke, and there wasn't exactly a stampede from car makers to pick up their entry, even for peanuts.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 11:11 (Ref:520300)   #22
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Rumours about VWAG entering F1 have been on-and-off for at least 12 months. I don't really see this as a surprise, and we'll probably hear another rumour mid-season that they're considering entering F1 again!