Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Nov 2004, 15:28 (Ref:1151672)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where to race?

I have just started the rebuild of an Irish post war special, the S.A.M. This stands for Self Assembled Motorcar or more politely Special Austin Mercury.

It is a sort of home made Allard, ie a special based around an Austin Devon Chassis and a Mercury Flathead. Even its creator would never have called it beautiful, the most flattering description that I can come up with is purposeful.

It was suprisingly effective in its heyday (1952) in Ireland and entered some International races and hence is eligible for FIA papers and International Historic events today.

Where should/could I exercise it?

So far I have considered;

(1) The Pom. (It won't be ready in time but should be a little later in 2005).
(2) The VSCC invitation race at Donington next September.
(3) HGPCA Drum braked series.

I would like a chance to feel my way around what is a new area of racing for me as hitherto I have always stuck to pre-war stuff and I think this Historic racing is a whole new ballgame. I feel a little intimidated.

Any other suggestions?

Steve McQueen.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1151689)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like the sort of machine that invitation events might appreciate eg Goodwood and especially Angouleme
Old 12 Nov 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1151705)   #3
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did it race in sportscar events in period?
Old 12 Nov 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1151724)   #4
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep an eye on the English Tour Auto thread started by John Ruston. More news after the 26th......
Old 12 Nov 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1151911)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As you know I've sort of followed this over the months. I was waiting for you to bring it up again.

The fact is that you appear to be trying to pigeonhole the car whereas the invited classes at many events would be ideal for you.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 00:33 (Ref:1152095)   #6
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Sports car racing? Yes, for example it raced at the Curragh with the Hwm's and C types.

Angouleme is my nearest event so I will see if I can play there, invitation events sound good but I need to keep my eyes and ears open to see where it might be most fun.

It weighs a bit over 17 cwt, and the 4,250cc motor should mean a good power to weight.....

Steve McQueen.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 07:18 (Ref:1152225)   #7
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by eclectic
Sports car racing? Yes, for example it raced at the Curragh with the Hwm's and C types.
My recollection of the SAM is that it only ever contested libre events - as did the HWMs and C-types at, for example, the Curragh
Old 13 Nov 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1152595)   #8
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally posted by David McKinney
My recollection of the SAM is that it only ever contested libre events - as did the HWMs and C-types at, for example, the Curragh
Yes, in my ignorance I was confusing sports cars racing in libre events with Sports Car Racing I suppose there is a distinction and it is relevant in so far as what I can use it for today? All very confusing to a VSCC man where if a car is eligible I can use it in anything the Club organises.

However here is a the list of events it was entered for I believe he started in them all;

16 May '53 Ulster International Trophy Handicap Race, Dundrod.
Retired

30 May '53 Syonfin Hill Climb

6 June '53 Phoenix Park

11 July '53 Leinster Trophy.
Quote from Autocar, "Joe Quinn..... with a lap allowance on handicap kept his V8 engined S.A.M. among the faster cars for a suprising lenght of time....."
(nb It was wet and so he was probably leading on handicap, not bad for a home built special playing with the works C types.)

10? Aug '53, Craigantlet Hillclimb
Third place after Ken Wharton in his Cooper and J D Titterington in his Allard J2.

12 Sept '53 Curragh

11 June '54 Syonfin Hillclimb
Ist Equal FTD with Syd Durbridge (Maserati Griffen)

10 July '54 Leinster Trophy International Car Race,

28 Aug '54 Curragh,
Fatal Crash killing himself, a marshal another spectator and injuring others.

I am going to be in GB for the next ten days and may be off line until I get back, but your advice and especially encouragement, is most appreciated.

Last edited by eclectic; 13 Nov 2004 at 18:45.

Steve McQueen.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 23:30 (Ref:1152771)   #9
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about competing in a VSCC hillclimb?
Old 15 Nov 2004, 07:42 (Ref:1153702)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You could try BRDC Historic Sportscars but I fear you will be running very much at the back, in which case HGPA is probably better suited. You could run it in Julius' Cloth Cap and do the French rounds (this year that would have been Chimay, dijon and Monthlery)
Do you have it up and running? It sounds liek something that is quick in a straightline with super tanker cornering ability!

Last edited by simon drabble; 15 Nov 2004 at 07:43.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 09:53 (Ref:1157853)   #11
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
It should be up and running in about six months, in time to try it out here and there next season, it is a bit ugly, brutal and unsubtle, but I hope it will be a lot of fun.

Loads of torque to accelerate out of corners, but perhaps cornering will be entertaining(?).

It has Austin Devon ifs assisted by coils shocks at the front and cart spring type semi eliptics at the rear.

Steve McQueen.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 10:05 (Ref:1157868)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[Off Topic]I recall you were looking at a Fiat 124 Coupe as an alternative car. It happens that in the November "Ding Dong" (Top Hat Magazine) they quote the entry list for a touring car race at Chimay in 1973. Lo and behold there was a Fiat 124 (it doesn't specify coupe or saloon). I saw it and thought of you. Sad git aren't I? [/Off Topic].
Old 26 Nov 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1164757)   #13
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
[Off Topic]I recall you were looking at a Fiat 124 Coupe as an alternative car. It happens that in the November "Ding Dong" (Top Hat Magazine) they quote the entry list for a touring car race at Chimay in 1973. Lo and behold there was a Fiat 124 (it doesn't specify coupe or saloon). I saw it and thought of you. Sad git aren't I? [/Off Topic].
I decided to follow the S.A.M. route insted for much the same money! At least it is a genuine Historic Racer.

I managed to shoehorn myself into it this week, it is a fairly tight fit for a 6'3" fattie like me, maybe we can alter the pedals 'cos if I make the cockpit any bigger my elbow will be ground away by the tyre!

I also had a DVD of it in action in 1953, sent to me, a bit blurred, but quite recognisable.

There is a 6 litre Allard that competes in the same class in the HGPCA series, it will run away from me no doubt along with the Jaguars, but it should be fun trying.

Steve McQueen.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1166992)   #14
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See thread 'New Event in Ireland'
Old 29 Nov 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1167010)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
This one?

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=62612
Old 29 Nov 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1167055)   #16
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
See thread 'New Event in Ireland'
Many thanks.