Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Mar 2019, 01:46 (Ref:3890282)   #1
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Vale Charlie Whiting

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/03/14...-whiting-dies/

Formula 1 Race Director Charlie Whiting has died at the age of 66 just days ahead of the 2019 season opener.

Whiting passed away in Melbourne, his death the result of a pulmonary embolism.

“It is with immense sadness that I learned of Charlie’s sudden passing,” said FIA President Jean Todt.

“I have known Charlie Whiting for many years and he has been a great Race Director, a central and inimitable figure in Formula One who embodied the ethics and spirit of this fantastic sport.

“Formula 1 has lost a faithful friend and a charismatic ambassador in Charlie.

“All my thoughts, those of the FIA and entire motor sport community go out to his family, friends, and all Formula One lovers.”

Whiting began his career in F1 with Hesketh during the 1970s before joining the then-Bernie Ecclestone owned Brabham team.

He joined the FIA in the late 1980s before being appointed race director in 1997.

Last edited by bella; 14 Mar 2019 at 08:23.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 01:52 (Ref:3890284)   #2
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
meant to give it crying face not angry face
Old 14 Mar 2019, 02:12 (Ref:3890289)   #3
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
“I have known Charlie for all of my racing life. We worked as mechanics together, became friends and spent so much time together at race tracks across the world,” said Formula 1’s Managing Director of Motorsport, Ross Brawn.

“I was filled with immense sadness when I heard the tragic news. I’m devastated.

“It is a great loss not only for me personally but also the entire Formula 1 family, the FIA and motorsport as a whole. All our thoughts go out to his family.”

Brawn was just one of those sharing messages of condolence following Whiting’s death, with the F1 paddock and others across the motorsport community taking to social media to express their loss.

@WilliamsRacing
We are terribly saddened to hear of Charlie Whiting's passing. Charlie was a true legend of the sport and will be greatly missed. Everyone's thoughts at Williams are with his family and friends at this difficult time.

@McLarenF1
All at McLaren are shocked and deeply saddened at the news of Charlie Whiting's passing. Charlie will be remembered as one of the giants of our sport, as well as a great colleague. Our deepest sympathies and thoughts are with all of his loved ones.

@HaasF1Team
We are deeply saddened to hear of our friend Charlie Whiting’s passing.

We send our condolences to his family at this difficult time. The entire motorsport community is in mourning.

@fia
FIA Statement - Charlie Whitinghttps://www.fia.com/news/fia-statement-charlie-whiting …

@LandoNorris
I think everyone is the paddock is gonna miss Charlie. Very sad news to all of us. Thoughts to his family and friends. Thanks for all you’ve done for our sport... #RestInPeace

@McLarenF1
All at McLaren are shocked and deeply saddened at the news of Charlie Whiting's passing. Charlie will be remembered as one of the giants of our sport, as well as a great colleague. Our deepest sympathies and thoughts are with all of his loved ones.

@ToroRosso
Scuderia Toro Rosso is deeply saddened to hear the news Charlie Whiting, FIA Director of Formula One, has passed away.

The team sends its condolences to his family and friends at this difficult time. Charlie will be sorely missed by many in the Motorsport community

@dariofranchitti
So sad to hear the Charlie Whiting has died. A lovely man who was an integral part of F1, he’ll be greatly missed by the sport and especially by his many friends.

@ValtteriBottas
Very sad and surreal news ahead the Australian GP. Can’t believe it..
My thoughts are with the family and friends.
He’s done so much for the sport we love.

Rest in peace Charlie#VB77

@fia
FIA Statement - Charlie Whitinghttps://www.fia.com/news/fia-statement-charlie-whiting …

Statement from Renault

Renault Sport Racing was shocked and saddened to hear of the sudden passing of Charlie Whiting. Charlie was one of the pillars and leaders of the sport. His drive to ensure exciting, safe and fair racing was unparalleled and his passion will be sorely missed. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time. The sport will unite to continue his legacy, not just this weekend, but well into the future.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 02:16 (Ref:3890291)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sudden and sad news.

RIP Charlie Whiting.

(I opened a thread in the tribute forum prior to seeing this posted here.)
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...wpost&t=153876
Old 14 Mar 2019, 02:19 (Ref:3890292)   #5
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
RIP Charlie.

jimclark
Old 14 Mar 2019, 02:23 (Ref:3890294)   #6
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not seeing Charlie Whiting in the start box will be like not hearing Murray Walker on the commentary. I am deeply saddened by the news. Prayers are with his family.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 05:12 (Ref:3890307)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
An extraordinary shock to wake up to this morning. A great loss to F1, and to all his family and friends.

RIP Charlie.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3890322)   #8
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!

So shocked to hear about Charlie today.

A lovely person - someone who became your friend from the time that you first met him - genuine and very talented, he'll be missed at many levels.

Vale Charles - you'll be missed by the thousands whose lives have been enriched by knowing you.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3890337)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[Mod]We have opened a thread for Charlie in Tributes. I'll move posts from here after the GP. Or please feel free to post in the tributes thread.[/Mod]
Old 14 Mar 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3890391)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just saw it in the BBC News website; very sudden. R.I.P. Charlie.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3890392)   #11
ArcticRacing
Rookie

France
France
ArcticRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a really shocking new Was the pulmonary embolism caused by the long travel in plane ?
Old 14 Mar 2019, 11:39 (Ref:3890409)   #12
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRacing View Post
It's a really shocking new Was the pulmonary embolism caused by the long travel in plane ?
The long flight was my first thought as well.

Shocking news regardless of how it came about.

Richard
Old 14 Mar 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3890413)   #13
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very nice tribute from the “Fake Charlie Whiting” twitter account. Apparently Charlie was a fan...

https://twitter.com/charlie_whiting/...163851264?s=21

With Charlie’s passing, the account will not long post new content.

Richard
Old 14 Mar 2019, 12:57 (Ref:3890419)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
R.I.P.

Someone I have never met but nevertheless a constant presence for me as far back as my racing memory goes. Irreplaceable.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 14:55 (Ref:3890457)   #15
smithhehehaha
Racer

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charlie, why are you leave us so suddenly ahead of F1's 1000th race? I cannot accept the news, even the world break apart...