Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 27 Jun 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3098986)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Valencia-style street circuit

So we've all heard the comments about Valencia, mainly all negative.

I had a go of doing my own Valencia style 'street' circuit. Check it out!

It's about 70% complete.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsV3i...ature=youtu.be

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
valenc.jpg  
Old 27 Jun 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3099020)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What you've done so far looks really good ... so much so What I'm about to say is really nit picking, but at the same time of you re going that detailed, the details matter.

Pit lane Exit - from the final corner the racing line will be down the pitwall side - there is no easy option here, but how it is at the moment is an accident waiting to happen.

Concrete wall overlaps, in several places, the overlaps are the wrong way around. Where a wall stops, the new wall should begin from outside of it and then merge back to the line of the previous wall (so you don't head on into the end of the new wall). Take a look at 1:19/1:20 where this is very obvious because you can see the base of the camera tower, and would drive straight into it. Also at 2:01 on the run off area there is a direct line to the truck so this is an unprotected area.

Similarly at 0:29 1:43 and 2:14 there are openings in the wall that resume on the same line... a head on into the end of the wall is possible.
At 2:28 you get the overlap correct on the left side of the track but leave a head possibility on to the right hand

Final quibble, the pit Entry, I'd bring the pit wall, around the final corner/Kink, as anyone running wide would go over onto the pit entry lane. maybe start the pitwall at 2:48/2:59 rather than 2:54

But as you say it's not finished so you may already have sorted some of these.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3099273)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks alot, mate! Really appreciate the detail, there. I had some of the same hunches as you, just needed a bit of direction. I can fairly easily re-adjust these walls, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I also want a few more bits and bobs in the way of trackside objects, but not too many as it'll slow the framerate right down!

I'll do a legit onboard tonight, too. It gives you a much better perspective of this fast street circuit.

Thanks again, would love to hear more comments.

Selby
Old 28 Jun 2012, 08:27 (Ref:3099297)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
One thing I will say about the pit exit, is that I tried to make it extremely long, so by the time the cars are rejoining the track, they're going at about 150mph, so it's not such a difference in speed.

Also, it gives the drive alot of time to see cars coming behind them down the straight, as it slowly merges with the main track.

Selby
Old 28 Jun 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3099599)   #5
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Nice track!
Old 2 Jul 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3100762)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Any more feedback, guys? Have to cash in on this opportunity for feedback, as it's quite busy here recently!

Selby
Old 2 Jul 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3101047)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Here's a legit on-board this time, which gives you a bit of a better feel for the track. It is driven by AI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO3MqUE1CX4

Selby
Old 4 Jul 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3101839)   #8
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All in all this track has a really pleasant flow - a rare treat for street circuits. There are some points that could be argued maybe, for permanent courses, but you can't be chhosy with street tracks.

What I'd welcome here is at least one more genuine overtaking spot. Also, that double-hairpin there, in the middle of the upper scetion, seems a bit too harsh (nicely executed with Schumacher's Ferrari though ).

So, this is one I'd definitely like to try. Another good one, like we've got used to with you here

bio
Old 12 Jul 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3105730)   #9
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
1) As near as I can tell, the track is absolutely flat. I personally hate flat. Even if elevation changes don't affect the racing, they at least look nicer than a table top, and I more enjoy undulating circuits.

2) It looks like a permanent facility, but there are highrises in the infield, and with no evident way of reaching them.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3105935)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It's completely flat because like I said, it's a take of the Valencia street circuit, which has no elevation changes.

And yeh, this is a problem I often have. Building streets/paths is an utter pain in Bob's Track Builder. I appreciate your criticism, but it's an extremely fiddly process, unfortunately, and to be quite honest, not really one worth my time studying for what it's worth.

Thank you for your feedback!

Selby
Old 14 Jul 2012, 00:21 (Ref:3106208)   #11
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
It's completely flat because like I said, it's a take of the Valencia street circuit, which has no elevation changes.

And yeh, this is a problem I often have. Building streets/paths is an utter pain in Bob's Track Builder. I appreciate your criticism, but it's an extremely fiddly process, unfortunately, and to be quite honest, not really one worth my time studying for what it's worth.

Thank you for your feedback!

Selby
Yeah, my fist ever BTB-track was a street circuit (Dan, you still might have an early version of it) - the biggest pain was creating the city scene around the track - too few different buildings available

bio
Old 14 Jul 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3106269)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Although, I think I may have found a decent way of creating your own Xpacks, Gabor... Could be a game-changer, this!

Selby
Old 14 Jul 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3106413)   #13
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Although, I think I may have found a decent way of creating your own Xpacks, Gabor... Could be a game-changer, this!

Selby
I treid several methids, but none worked for me...

The biggest blow, anyway, was when racedepartment.com redesigned their website and removed the download section - by far the best collection of BTB stuff...

bio