Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Jan 2003, 02:38 (Ref:490138)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mystery man: Stefan Johansson's CART team is shaping up, but who's paying the bills?

Johansson said he is spending some of his own money, and “obviously, I have some very, very good partners behind me.” Those partners, whom he didn’t identify, must be well-heeled, because Johansson doesn’t seem terribly worried about landing sponsors.

“We’re talking to a number of sponsors, but really our objective this year, my mandate when we started this, is we’re funded to run the season and we want to basically spend this year on building very strong relationships,” Johansson said. “We’re here for the long haul.”

AutoWeek
Old 30 Jan 2003, 02:54 (Ref:490143)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Stefan's partners are Chris James and Dan Benton. Chris and Dan are co-founders of Andor Capital Management (www.andorcap.com)"
Old 30 Jan 2003, 03:15 (Ref:490152)   #3
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting, there must be some pookfare involved however. I can't imagine these guys would risk a bunch of cash on an auto racing team with no sponsors. Sounds like a recipe for losing millions. Unless they really like the sport and are really rich.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 03:42 (Ref:490165)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, there is likely some support from Cart for this team, so what? In F1, Jordan and Minardi also have some support from Bernie... It's tough times, and these things are necessary.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Jan 2003, 06:13 (Ref:490212)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*Concurs with Jay's post*
Old 30 Jan 2003, 06:46 (Ref:490239)   #6
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Working from memory so there are bound to be holes, but...

Didn't Parker Johnstone run a car without sponsership for a while untill he landed the ride with Kool? As I recall, he mortgaged everything he had to get into the car because he loved racing that much. Now he wasn't the greatest pilot to run open wheel, but that's determination.

Didn't Hogan run his team out of pocket for a while before he hooked up with Rahal?

I'm sure there have been many others that don't come to mind that have run in just the last ten years.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 07:08 (Ref:490253)   #7
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Hogan ran 1999 entirely out of his own pocket with Helio Castroneves.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 07:52 (Ref:490266)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, Snout, I believe you're right there. Carl Hogan is a man who has earned my respect, to be sure. But I can't seem to remember Parker's pre-KOOL ride.

Now there's a driver I really miss having around. True, he wasn't the "greatest pilot", but he wasn't all that bad either. Remember his pole at MIS? But because my "favourite" drivers are generally those who have striken me the right way when I've met them, Parker makes that list.

Back to the topic, something I realized but didn't realize is that the only two Americans on the grid will be Stefan's.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 08:19 (Ref:490278)   #9
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lightbulb. Was Parker's pre Kool ride that #49 Motorola Car with some purple paint on it ?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 09:12 (Ref:490294)   #10
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Parker's pre Kool ride was indeed the #49 Motorola car. That was run by Comptech who I believe he also drove for in IMSA before that. I think they won a bunch of championship in that. And then they went on to be a Honda test team for CART before running full time. This is all from memory but I believe it's correct.

Parker was one of those guys who would get really excited for finishing a mere 2nd. That's why he was one of my favourites. Hey, if we can't get him back in the cockpit, put him in the booth. He was good there too...

What's he doing now?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 09:22 (Ref:490299)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He used to commentate, I know that much.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 10:03 (Ref:490344)   #12
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Snout
I think Hogan ran 1999 entirely out of his own pocket with Helio Castroneves.
Same with Dario in '97 wasn't it?

I read in an article when Stefan announced his drivers that he had sponsership, and will announce them later.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 30 Jan 2003, 13:15 (Ref:490533)   #13
Russfeld
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Yes, there is likely some support from Cart for this team, so what? In F1, Jordan and Minardi also have some support from Bernie... It's tough times, and these things are necessary.
Bernie isnt spending any extra money. He jus ttook the money that would have normally gone to Arrows and redistributed it. Its not 'new' money.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 13:58 (Ref:490572)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Patrick ran Vasser out of his own pocket for most of 2001. These guys love their racing, and are willing to risk the kind of money it'd take eyars to earn from anything else. It's such a shame the financial troubles of Hogan Racing ultimately killed Carl off.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 14:55 (Ref:490630)   #15
Russfeld
Veteran

In more ways than one

Rahal's been dumping his own money into the team for a while. For the last several years Shell kept reducing their budget.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 15:07 (Ref:490645)   #16
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Pook is helping you wonder how much the $ he is putting in. Maybe a million or so till the team can get on its feet would be fine but if CART has to spend millions on a sponsorless team that is no good. Once those cash reserves are gone the party is over.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 15:16 (Ref:490656)   #17
Russfeld
Veteran

Yeah, and id rather see a third Newman-Haas car than a 2nd Coyne car.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 15:17 (Ref:490658)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not if Andor are providing a significant amount of cash for their involvement. Anyway, tehre's no word as to the team being unsponsored, probably Hunter-Reay can bring something, or the team can get some Swedish companies interested.

Wealthy motor-racing fans have been putting their own money in for years, David Letterman and Paul Newman for a start.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 17:09 (Ref:490796)   #19
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Much work to be done
By Robin Miller
ESPN.com
Old 30 Jan 2003, 17:11 (Ref:490798)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't figure out why no teams are mentioning sponsors! If I was signing the cheques, I would want as much exposure as possible. Shouldn't the contracts have been signed already? What are your ideas about this?

Possibilities I can think of:
1. Each teams is waiting for all of their sponsors to come in before they announce their sponsors.
2. CART has asked them not to announce sponsorship because substantial sponsorship has yet to be confirmed for some/many teams and races. These teams and CART would be embarrased.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 17:26 (Ref:490815)   #21
Russfeld
Veteran

apparently Nick Hunter-Rheay is one of the team investors *cough*
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:33 (Ref:493375)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So why not? It's the money that is important, not where they get it.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 01:12 (Ref:493391)   #23
Russfeld
Veteran

Well it really makes Ryan Huner Rheay not much more than a ridebuyer
Old 2 Feb 2003, 01:25 (Ref:493395)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You get money from where you can. Whether that be family members, corporate sponsors, the RAC, whatever...what's the difference if you have the talent? And I'm confident Ryan does have the talent, he just needs the chance and some time to adapt (which he's had none at all so far).
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Feb 2003, 01:37 (Ref:493397)   #25
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Like you wouldn't do it if you had the chance and the money.