Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3864978)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Verstappen: Combo of Senna and Schumacher?

The more I see of Max in and out of the car, the more he becomes a combination of Ayrton and Michael!

The guy appears to have many traits of both drivers.

Anyone else agree?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3864980)   #2
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well he certainly has the "I'm going to punch the other driver in the face" attitude of both.

I'd say he has traits of both, but he hasn't managed to round off the corners of those traits just yet. It's all fine and well being ruthless, but you have to know when you can be and when to cut your loses. Max is still getting there with that, but I'm sure he will get there.

Brundle had a great interview about Senna in the early days. About how Senna would throw the car down the inside in an insane move, and if you moved out of the way then he knew you'd do it every time. If you didn't move, you had an accident and Senna wouldn't try it on you again.

Senna did those tactics in his pre-F1 days. Max hasn't had enough pre-F1 days to really flesh that out. So he's doing it in F1 now. So I've doubt he will get there, and he certainly has traits of these drivers, but he has to them mould these traits into something more productive.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3865050)   #3
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Brundle had a great interview about Senna in the early days. About how Senna would throw the car down the inside in an insane move, and if you moved out of the way then he knew you'd do it every time. If you didn't move, you had an accident and Senna wouldn't try it on you again.
Sounds like Ricciardo to me!
Old 22 Nov 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3864997)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He definitely is a big threat for the future. He needs to smooth out some of the rough edges, because he is definitely Lewis' big threat for the future. He definitely has that edgy side that Senna and Schumi had. It remains to be seen if that will always be the case or if he'll do less of it now
Old 22 Nov 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3865031)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
still early in his journey but first thought for me is that it remains to be seen if he has the work ethic of Schumi. Senna, i believe, had a similar approach of pouring over every detail to see where advantages could be found.

to be honest though, im not sure what Max is like in the garage or with his mechanics.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 22:02 (Ref:3865103)   #6
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
still early in his journey but first thought for me is that it remains to be seen if he has the work ethic of Schumi. Senna, i believe, had a similar approach of pouring over every detail to see where advantages could be found.

to be honest though, im not sure what Max is like in the garage or with his mechanics.
A DC story. Early 1994 senna had an accident during testing and hurt his back and had to sit out s few days. DC completed the testing in his place. Senna stuck around in every single brief to see what was said and work out his own thoughts from DCs feedback. Compared with Nigel who would “bu**er off to the golf course”.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3866009)   #7
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
He definitely is a big threat for the future. He needs to smooth out some of the rough edges, because he is definitely Lewis' big threat for the future. He definitely has that edgy side that Senna and Schumi had. It remains to be seen if that will always be the case or if he'll do less of it now
I disagree. Unless Redbull really hit the nail on the head and create a dominant car.

Lewis is on another level in terms of all round performance, consistency and professionalism at that level. At the moment, all of the other drivers dip into his domain for a race or two at a time but nobody is there with him for the whole season. It's going to take a lot of work/luck for Max to get there, and by the time he does I think Lewis might be sitting on a yacht with Rhianna.

no, I'm not a Lewis fanboy before you start.

Last edited by GingerPixel; 26 Nov 2018 at 10:34.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3866163)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
I disagree. Unless Redbull really hit the nail on the head and create a dominant car.

Lewis is on another level in terms of all round performance, consistency and professionalism at that level. At the moment, all of the other drivers dip into his domain for a race or two at a time but nobody is there with him for the whole season. It's going to take a lot of work/luck for Max to get there, and by the time he does I think Lewis might be sitting on a yacht with Rhianna.

no, I'm not a Lewis fanboy before you start.
Lewis is a top class driver and he does have a significant car advantage and a pants team mate, both of which are bound to make him look very good.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3865110)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Senna was the ultimate pro to the end
Old 23 Nov 2018, 01:23 (Ref:3865137)   #10
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both world champions, whereas max only has a few wins just like such and such and whosit....

MS and AS won with their ferocious competitiveness helping. For Max it only seems to hinder him, like he doesn't actually need to drive that way to win
Old 23 Nov 2018, 03:59 (Ref:3865172)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I find it amusing that anyone can compare Max to the likes of Senna and Schumacher at this stage of his career.

Max has already competed in over half of Senna's career total of races, and has yet to show anything more than a lot of potential. A handful of wins.

At the stage in his career Max is at Senna had had just one season at McLaren but had already notched up more wins than Max has podiums, and had prior to joining McLren already notched up more wins than Max has currently. Prior to joining McLaren Ayrton had already notched more podiums than Max currently has amassed. Four years into his career, whilst still at Lotus, despite those four years consisting of far fewer races than Max has had in his 4 years, Ayrton had more wins and more podiums than Max has in total.

Max has potential to be compared to the greats, but at this stage of his career he is a long way off of being compared to legends.
Old 23 Nov 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3865228)   #12
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I find it amusing that anyone can compare Max to the likes of Senna and Schumacher at this stage of his career.

Max has already competed in over half of Senna's career total of races, and has yet to show anything more than a lot of potential. A handful of wins.
... in an era with extreme domination never seen before in F1. If you want to compare you have make it an honest comparison. If you compare this way Alonso is nowhere near as good as Hamilton while we all know that's unfair.
Old 23 Nov 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3865200)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

Give Max time, he's clearly on the up and next season, if the Honda engine is up to it, he could really shine
Old 23 Nov 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3865206)   #14
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Ferrari and Mercedes would surely sign him up in an instant if they could, and he would then be in a battle for the WDC. Instead he has signed up with Red Bull Honda until 2020. More wins are of course inevitable, but will this car and engine combination give him a realistic WDC shot?

Senna was not only ruthless in the car, he was a ruthless negotiator out of the car, hence managed to land himself drives in McLaren and Williams (which were the class of the field at the time), instead of loyally sticking with his first team.
Old 23 Nov 2018, 15:31 (Ref:3865250)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not sure Max can be compared to either, yes he is a young man with talent and desire to win but lets see where he is in 4 or 5 years before making comparisons with other people, these sort of things have been done to other drivers and then another new darling comes along and they sink back into the also ran ranks.
Old 23 Nov 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3865253)   #16
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We only have one season to accurately compare them, 2007, Hamiltons rookie year where he matched Alonso for wins and points. Hamilton is a far more complete package now.
Max is fast and has attitude but needs to use his brain, then we might get a clearer idea.
Old 23 Nov 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3865258)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

As I said get rid of some of those rough edges and he’ll be there
Old 23 Nov 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3865313)   #18
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=S griffin;3865258]As I said get rid of some of those rough edges and he’ll be there[/
sure he can drive fast but he might just be as thick as a brick and never improve
Old 24 Nov 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3865358)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=loon;3865313]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
As I said get rid of some of those rough edges and he’ll be there[/
sure he can drive fast but he might just be as thick as a brick and never improve
Max seems to have taken the message from Jos about over driving the car at the beginning of the season, so hopefully Jos, Helmut and Lewis will have driven the point home about who has the most to lose in this type of situation.
If he can't then he is as "thick as a brick".

Last edited by wnut; 24 Nov 2018 at 01:50.
Old 24 Nov 2018, 04:46 (Ref:3865379)   #20
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would love to see a list of traits for Senna and Schumacher first (could we even agree on that list?) so we can pick which ones we think apply to Max... or anyone else. Do they have to be positive traits, or can we pick from the entire list?

Richard
Old 24 Nov 2018, 06:50 (Ref:3865393)   #21
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed. 'Respected their abilities but not so much them....

jimclark
Old 24 Nov 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3865397)   #22
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Agreed. 'Respected their abilities but not so much them....
Well said. I agree.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3865696)   #23
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
talented bratty kid who can put together a serious hot lap and has a fanbase of rabid morons (not his fault).

has the confidence of senna and schumacher and could win some championships but for now his team mate is the money.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3865842)   #24
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon9 View Post
but for now his team mate is the money.
What does this mean?
Old 26 Nov 2018, 00:04 (Ref:3865898)   #25
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
What does this mean?
Not much since he's gone....

jimclark