Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Aug 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2520380)   #126
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
What is that race series in the states that took most cars with History including stuff like my Penske IROC and ex-NASCAR cars, something along those lines looked really interesting and why is the entry so expensive at £700?
Old 12 Aug 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2520467)   #127
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, the Historic Transam series in the US is a sort of club/race series/demonstration of the golden era of Transam racing (late '60's - early '70's)

At most of the US historic meetings I've been to they often mix up the cars in the races based on lap times. So you get a cross section of cars in one race such as IROC cars, NASCARS, '80's Transam, early IMSA all together. Similarly Porsche 356's mixing it with spridgets, '50's specials etc.

Getting a suitable race for your IROC would be a piece of cake in the US

However, to bring this back onto topic a lot of these other cars are quite cheap to buy and so are run by Mr Average who is unlikely to be willing to ship to the UK.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 13 Aug 2009, 07:11 (Ref:2520632)   #128
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
And in the States there are few spectators.If you want V8's run a mid 60's race based on BSCC,why Trans Am where they made cheating into a fine art and killed it in about 70/71.Where does money come from to transport all the US based cars and for a race in the middle of their domestic season.Mid Ohio/Road Atlanta or Silverstone,not a hard decision
I would think the Festival basis needs to be a showcase for British historic racing not imported stuff?
700 Pounds plus,That is the going rate and upwards for internation flagship meetings .Grids are full so presume it is acceptable.Monaco is four times that and the LMC about 3300 Pounds per grid slot.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2520648)   #129
Moosehead
Veteran

Why should it be British based? How can it be an International flagship meeting if its showcasing British historic racing? I thought we were trying to attract more people - Why would they want to spend all the extra money to only see cars that they can see every other week at far cheaper clubbie meetings. From a promoters point of view surely its easier to promote something that is different for people to see?

As for money to transport the cars, well, as a humble manual worker if I can gather enough to get mine across the pond when an opportunity arose I'm sure most of those guys could though obviously they would need something to tempt them.

BTW, whats cheating got to do with it, mind you, considering the current App K situation I reckon the TransAm cars would feel right at home over here
Old 13 Aug 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2520651)   #130
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did someone mention Sports 2000 earlier - there's a Historic category for the early cars in this now.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2520701)   #131
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Yanks don't travel well and there is no way you would get a grid and it's in the middle of their season.Look how many do Le Mans Classic despite the organisers making a push for them.
As far as spectators ,I don't see that that many people want to look at the racing .Goodwood is a social thing and racing is a sideshow.
I was at Daytona when you were there and Sebring later.Not many punters.
I understand your point but the bottom line is that if the organisers can fill the grids with local cars that will do the job.These can vary year to year.
It would be great to have a IMSA race,5000 race,Porsche Pre 65,Ferrari Pre 60's but I can't see it happening.Ten years ago Shell Ferrari Challenge used to be part of meeting but that as a series seems to be fading away.
Main object now is to guarantee the Festival 's future and probably the best way is to get more people to the concerts at 40 Quid a throw rather than the racing and let the racing hang on to the shirt tales of the other events.Festival Weekend.
Junior Glastonbury with a few cars ambling round a track added.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2520766)   #132
Moosehead
Veteran

I get your point John.................maybe move it to Donington and tag onto the Download festival then
Old 13 Aug 2009, 16:25 (Ref:2520883)   #133
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
As a contrast perhaps next year they can have a race for Anglias? No, I didn't think that would be a good idea.

Au contraire -I think that's the best idea put forward so far. I'm sure Simon D would fulfill his dream of buying an Anglia and our Spanish/Kentish man would postpone his retirement.[/QUOTE]

dont tempt me!! I think the problem with the smaller engined "slower" cars is that on a large track like the Silverstone GP circuit they will be boring to watch however mix them up and have a pre 63 saloon race (i.e. Jaguars and Zephers etc at the front with A40's and Anglias and mini's dicing it at the rear with their European counterparts and of ocurse Wilmot Cortina GT's) and you really have something worth watching.... I hope Joe, Ben and Carol are tempted to run this in parallel with their other great Pre 63 GT race....
Old 13 Aug 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2520904)   #134
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Did someone mention Sports 2000 earlier - there's a Historic category for the early cars in this now.

Sounds like a good option.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2521219)   #135
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I would like to encourage the F5000 guys out, so what about a 60s/70s Libre race, as we used to have in the UK , with F1 and F5000 and even odd F2 cars? It might just catch a decent grid!

I like the Pre 63 Saloons idea, to match the Pre 63 GTs.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2521221)   #136
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tim, there is already a series for F5000/F2 called the Derek Bell series; their grids have suffered quite badly this year, but if we could get a grid of say over 35 cars at the Classic that would make a fine spectacle.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2521227)   #137
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
And leaven the mix with one or two early 3 litre F1 types, it would be fun to see, indeed. Aurora Series, was it?
Maybe earlier. I remember a Chevron B34 winning one such at Brands, on TV. There were several F1 teams present, but their charges fell off or broke.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2521260)   #138
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

You are tinkering with your own pet ideas.None put an extra person through the turnstiles.
How do you make the meeting profitable and it needs an idea outside the box.An open wheeler race inc F2,I would think it great,but how many more tickets sold,none, and I question getting a full grid.
Its backsides on seats
Old 14 Aug 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2521282)   #139
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To get more backsides on seats it will take a change in advertising strategy to appeal to a new cliental 'newbies'. What about a poster competition for under 16's, could be for the meeting or green issues in racing or design a racing car or anything applicable. Invitations could be sent to schools and a pair of weekend tickets and VIP treatment for the outright winner plus pairs of tickets for the best in each school. Just an idea but I'm sure there are other things that can be done to attract first timers.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2521290)   #140
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
...........and going backwards (pre 63) in time isn't going to help either. There needs to be a recognition that the 70's and 80's provided racing cars too. Not many people say "My dad had one of those" whilst point to a Rochdale Olympic (for example). They do say it about later model BMWs, TVRs, Alfas etc.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2521294)   #141
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think most people are in agreement that the racing is pretty much spot on, with just a few tweeks/guest races needed. So how about this - instead of using the GP circuit, how about using the international circuit with a couple of temporary footbridges over the section between Beckets & Abbey? Then the concert stage could be put down the bottom of the circuit, freeing up a load more space infield. Bring back Scarf & Goggles plus the rally stage (that was rammed with spectators last year). Set up a drag strip down the Hangar Straight-that would be a real crowd puller.

With the shorter track you could have slower cars (the Anglias plus my suggestion for classic 2cvs?) and still satisfy spectators. There are never many fans past Abbey and Beckets anyway so it would be no great loss to lose the full GP circuit (I know drivers like it but aren't we trying to please the paying public?).

When I first started coming to the classic I could never get to see/do everything in a day as there was always so much going on. I don't think that was the case this year. I think people need to leave at the end of the day wanting to come back for more-that way, they are much more likely to return the following year.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2521302)   #142
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good stuff there. But really, the Anglia thing was a joke!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2521314)   #143
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Good stuff there. But really, the Anglia thing was a joke!
Doh!!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2521328)   #144
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at this event from a potential spectator's perspective, all the suggestions so far revolve around the cars, but what about the personalities? Forget the cars (although these are important to us the precise mix is only really of interest to enthusiasts) - introduce a few celeb drivers, household names, that the non-motorsporting public will recognize. Current F1 drivers seem to find time in their schedule for FoS, what can be done to make SC attractive to them & other top names? 2-driver owner/celeb races could appeal to someone undecided about what to do with the kids at the weekend.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2521346)   #145
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Again a good idea, why not?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2521356)   #146
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think one of the main'driver' attractions is being allowed on the GP circuit,take that away and entry levels will drop. The Drag Strip idea has been tried elsewhere and obviously hasn't worked,interest in that disiplin has wained over the last few years.I think that for Bums on seats the racing has to be quick enough,the attempted revival of Can-Am as we will see at Donington,should be one of the biggest crowd pullers.Up to 2ltr Sports Racers.Perhaps two grids for Saloons,limit of 2ltr and 7ltr for either grid.As for the prewar stuff,we know how hard the drivers have to drive these things,but what do the paying public see?
There has to be enough on view in the paddock that the public can get close to.Maybe even some kind of competition that the public can get involved in,ie,g 'Guess the Capacity' of an E-Type or Cobra?

I wonder what Goose actually promotes?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2521384)   #147
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting more paying spectators is a critical consideration, especially if it helps offset increasing charges to entrants/competitors. I agree that the promotional marketing strategy for the event needs to be given further consideration. There is more than one 'public' for what is a multi-facetted event. But in catering for different interest groups there has be sufficient 'content' within each element to actually engage the respective groups. Avoid superficial pandering. And each element has to resonate with the overarching ethos of 'classic motorsport'. How does a modern Harley Davidson 'village' relate to this for example? Much beter to see rows of Velocettes and their like alongside the Austin Healeys, MGs, Ferarris etc. However, I am falling in to the trap of what appeals to the forty plus year old. How to bring in a younger audience, beyond the sons and daughters of those already engaged in or interested in historic motorsport? The Pussy Cat Dolls might be the answer but probably drew as much interest from frustrated middled aged men. However, the ladies are harldly 'classic', unlike the excellent Santana. Discounted tickets to all Formula Student participants might be an idea. There are other ways of reaching the 'Youth' but they probably are too wedded to their social networking sites to venture outdoors.

Besides all of the above yes the stars and their cars do add to the gate but at what cost to the organiser?

Historic rally sprint...is it still a part of the event?

Bring back the race bikes? Remember Moto GP is coming to Silverstone. How about getting a grid of 70s/80s GP bikes?

Improve the TV coverage, post the event, to showcase it for future years.

Oh and for next year put ballast in that Alta driven by Declan Burnett.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2521389)   #148
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
OK, 'outside the box' gets Red Arrows, and Vulcan, overhead.

Classic Car Run both days, to the likes of Northampton and Stratford on Avon. Get folks wondering what's on?

Reduce prices if folk just want to see racing or concert. Arrange one gig Southern end, something jazzier in the Paddock, Scarf n Goggles idea, again?

Offer free entry to cars Pre 19??

School involvement could include electric/pedal/economy petrol cars, 20 minutes one lunchtime, or in the gap before WSM Saturday night? Should pull in families...

Now, I am NOT having a go at Paul, he knows his stuff, but the programme you buy should be a lot closer to what's running. I did actually have a quick word on the bank, about this, and I suspect he wasn't over pleased about it! After all, we don't all know our Rileys from our MGs...SRO had to completely reprint the FIAGT programmes, after the Lambo race was cancelled, so it can be done at short notice.

Get giant screens up, and USE THE LEADER POLE in the infield? Especially in driver change races, and for the WSM!

Shuttle buses round the perimiter roads for anyone to use. Like the 'roadtrain' things at the seaside, and LM. Well marked stops, all the way round.

If you are charging a tenner for a programme, chuck in a free radio, for commentary. Include this with a weekend ticket bought in advance.

TV ads worked last year? Were there any this time?

Autograph sessions, on a dedicated stand, race, by race. Gets kids interested.

More Security bods, to keep an eye on things, and have all the cars there for the whole weekend.

Some may fly, some won't...

Last edited by Tim the Grey; 14 Aug 2009 at 14:29. Reason: To avoid accidentaly slandering Paul Lawrence!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 14:28 (Ref:2521390)   #149
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm...I play that game at most race meetings.....and not just with E-Types or Cobras....

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Maybe even some kind of competition that the public can get involved in,ie,g 'Guess the Capacity' of an E-Type or Cobra?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2521427)   #150
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
old hat I know but what about a Concours d'elegance and the car clubs to put more than just a collection of cars - create more of a feature of the marque leaning on the history of it... I liked the Jaguar courtesy cars, a nice touch and seemingly open for all.
Bit left field but why not have a races during the night and the fun fair and bars going all through the night like Le Mans... combined with the concerts it would keep people on sight