Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Apr 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3396322)   #51
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm confused too - the regs clearly state that you can use the kerbs.
P
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3396345)   #52
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not wishing to stray off subject but Simon and BVE you are correct.

Page 7
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3396372)   #53
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, back on topic ! What happens when it is so wet you cannot even see the edge of the track ?
I was driving the Chev Camaro in Historic Road Sports. Practise was great and, unexpectedly, in the dry. The only slight downer was a 7-hour wait from the Practise at 0900 until the race at 1600 hrs. Still, that's the wacky world of racing for you.

Came the race and the rain started. On the green flag lap the skies opened up and a monsoon came our way. Formed up and then the Start ... by now there was standing/running water an inch deep the whole width and length of the track. Couldn't see the track-edge or track position or the cars ahead of me and beside me.

The first lap was slower than the parade lap. Nil visibility and gawd knows what the guys in the open cars could see... About two-thirds round the first lap, the thought crossed my mind that this was a lottery and one way or another cars were going to start contacting each other.

So, I make no apologies, I pulled into the Paddock at the end of the first lap and abandoned the race. First time I've done that. Rain was still coming down full-strength out of the celestial bucket. The race was red-flagged on lap 2 or 3. After 20 mins or so, no change to the weather, so I packed up, getting thoroughly drenched, and drove the Chev home. Apparently the HRS were held on the grid and the restarted race seems to have got away about 60 minutes after the original start.

Hats off to the HRS drivers who patiently waited for the re-start, and double hats off to the Marshalls who deserve a medal for sticking it out.
Nick
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3396374)   #54
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'm hugely disappointed … I'd wanted to race the TR5 at Thruxton ever since I started racing it 10 years ago, finally we got there …

After some fettling by Delta and colleagues the car is much better, albeit still some way off full fitness (as is the driver!), but a dry qualifying lived up to my expectations for this fast circuit, even though I couldn't make a single decent effort of the chicane I was chuffed to bits to be 8th on the grid.

Race time was mid-afternoon … In the assembly area watching my brother out in Historic Touring cars, as he and his chums started to dry the racing line, at least in my sight. Slight smattering of rain starting as we strap-in, heavier by the time we head round to the grid … heavier still by the time lights go out, even up on the fourth row of the grid the amount of spray raised by the start was horrendous, by the end of the first lap it was really chucking it down, survived a close encounter with an Elan at the start of lap two, and then managed to spot a flag waving in the murk round the back, it wasn't yellow … it must have been red, oh sh*t … yes it was, and those lights fast hoving into view are doing 20mph and I'm still doing something more … avoided them all and they'll never know how close I was!

We stop on the grid for over 45 mins … during which time there is a proper river running past the car and a proper waterfall pouring into the car from just about everywhere!

Eventually the rain eases off, they sweep some puddles away and send us off for another green flag lap … by which time my wipers have stopped working (that waterfall was running down behind the dash, presumably got the switch, as they worked again later when driving home), the Rain-X has been washed off, the inside has steamed up despite having the windows largely open, so I'm reduced to looking out the open side windows and to top it off the car will barely run at the lower revs we're now using … I gave it up, pulled in at the end of the formation lap … drove to our encampment, loaded the kit in the car, and was nearly ready to drive out of the circuit by the time the guys had finished their race. Well done to all who coped, I'm hugely disappointed, and feel a bit of a wimp, especially after going so well in quail, but it feels like it was the right decision for me …

Bl..dy sun was out by the time we got home …

Next year…?
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:57 (Ref:3396378)   #55
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Quite agree, especialy as its the only shot out of six showing the correct line.Did the other five cars get a black and white?
HAha! You should have seen him on the next lap, what you could call an 'optimistic' move round the outside resulting in what was most definitely an infringement of track limits (not that I'm an expert on the subject...)
Old 21 Apr 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3396400)   #56
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalled at the chicane for both days. Great racing and nice mix of cars. Just a shame about the Sunday weather from 4pm onwards.. but think we were lucky that it didn't arrive earlier. Boots and kit dried out overnight before being used again at Combe today!
Old 22 Apr 2014, 10:06 (Ref:3396594)   #57
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
James - you and me both. What a way to start the season !

Dan, thanks to you and your colleagues for sticking it out ... hope it doesn't put you off Thruxton in Easter 2015 !
Nick
Old 22 Apr 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3396602)   #58
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
OK, back on topic ! What happens when it is so wet you cannot even see the edge of the track ?

So, I make no apologies, I pulled into the Paddock at the end of the first lap and abandoned the race. First time I've done that. Rain was still coming down full-strength out of the celestial bucket. The race was red-flagged on lap 2 or 3. After 20 mins or so, no change to the weather, so I packed up, getting thoroughly drenched, and drove the Chev home. Apparently the HRS were held on the grid and the restarted race seems to have got away about 60 minutes after the original start.

Hats off to the HRS drivers who patiently waited for the re-start, and double hats off to the Marshalls who deserve a medal for sticking it out.
Nick
Nick, I was fortunately in the stands keeping dry and when I saw you pull in I said to my wife that by the time it restarted you would be at Popham on the way back home! Little did I realize how long the wait would be - even Marcus Pye ran out of things to say!!!

It is pretty admirable that there are still competitors like you that drive to the circuit. It must put a very different slant on your track "risk appetite"!
Old 22 Apr 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3396633)   #59
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
Marshalled at the chicane for both days. Great racing and nice mix of cars. Just a shame about the Sunday weather from 4pm onwards.. but think we were lucky that it didn't arrive earlier. Boots and kit dried out overnight before being used again at Combe today!
Make sure you come to Silverstone Classic Dan, Extra sausage for you dear boy..
Good old Fay ,I knew that half bottle of champagne would work,she was waving at me to come to my qualy start position after ariving rather late,I thought I would of had to start at the back of the grid. Not that my grid slot was much fuirther up.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3396672)   #60
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
HAha! You should have seen him on the next lap, what you could call an 'optimistic' move round the outside resulting in what was most definitely an infringement of track limits (not that I'm an expert on the subject...)

Well done Collin-the only one not to have been"whooshed".
Problem with TIC.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3397788)   #61
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Alfa & I had a reasonable run on Saturday, unfortunately the taller tyres didn't seem to make a massive difference, I still ran out of revs from Church round to Club. Never the less, a good race was had with Ian in his Imp & Bill in the Guilia Super Ti

Sunday, never made it passed lap 2. The engine went down to 3 cyls so by the time everyone had passed me I thought it was time to bale out. Think it's only a failed spark plug so no big drama.

Felt really sorry for the HRS guys, I've never seen rain like that outside of a monsoon season in the far east.

Lastly, if proof is needed of Nick's bravery, a photo from the M25 sunday evening. Must catch up for that beer Nick?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nick Savage.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	42441
Old 24 Apr 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3397797)   #62
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Luckily, the M25 thinned out after that - 105 and I had been drifting past each other for about 20 minutes while we toiled round the Egham - Heathrow sector on Sunday evening. Aaargh ! Great photo !

Thanks to 105 and the HRSR heroes who gave me space under the Cope mini-marquee when I pulled in after Lap 1, and a very welcome cup of tea.
Salute the Cheshamites ! And, yes, will organise a pint soon.
Nick
Old 24 Apr 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3397835)   #63
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always good to see Thruxton being used properly

Here's my gallery from the Saturday - nice weather ;-)

http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albu...ruxton-photos/
Old 27 Apr 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3398881)   #64
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more photos from the friend of an Imp Club member who usually takes wildlife photographs can be found at:

www.PCH-photography.co.uk

Just FF and HTC at the moment, more to follow in the next few days.
Old 1 May 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3400445)   #65
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great photos Simon, did your friend have a media pass or are the photos taken from the banking?
Old 1 May 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3400518)   #66
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No media pass - just a spectator, so on the banking. I was looking at some of his wildlife photos too - they are also very good.
Old 2 May 2014, 16:15 (Ref:3400815)   #67
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Been very stressfull day here at nurburgin . Hung around all day doing nothing but wander round into everyone's hospitality tent eating cake ,then waiting for qualy at 5.30 . Fog came back down and I'm now off for a pizza .
Old 2 May 2014, 16:29 (Ref:3400819)   #68
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be very foggy Iain - looks like you picked the wrong thread!
Old 2 May 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3400824)   #69
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Must be very foggy Iain - looks like you picked the wrong thread!

Lol, Typical Ring weather today ( heros aplenty, doing thier best to close proceedings)
Much better weather for tomorrow though, Iain might even be able to see which thread hes posting in.
Old 3 May 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3401567)   #70
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb87 View Post
Some more photos from the friend of an Imp Club member who usually takes wildlife photographs can be found at:

www.PCH-photography.co.uk

Just FF and HTC at the moment, more to follow in the next few days.

Some nice pics of the E Simon, please say thank you to your friend. That last one made me think back to tuition days..."FFS!!! Don't look AT the corner, look THROUGH the corner !!!"