Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 1 May 2001, 12:50 (Ref:87515)   #1
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long does a aka license last for?

hey just about ready to join my local club but i would like to know a couple of things. how long does a aka license last for? How do u get one? when i class weight means 130 kg can u weigh under the 130 kg or do u need weights to even it up.

ok thats all for now if i need more ill just post another message.

Thanks
Old 1 May 2001, 16:17 (Ref:87569)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ok an AKA licence last for just one year..you need to renew it every year..when you start you will need to do 4 meetings ..one as a flag marshall while being observed by the stewards at an Open meeting and then 3 as a P plater ..you need to display a P plate at the front and rear of your kart (some clubs will let you off without the front one but the AKA likes to see 2 on the kart) this also means you have to start last in every heat you take part in..might sound unfair .but it is a great idea..you soon learn alot watching other people at the start and what lines they are taking..you need to finish a certain % of your P plate races as well..if you run 4 races then 3 will be sufficent to obtain a signature from the clerk of course..once you have all 4 signatures (3 racing 1 flagging) you are then allowed to remove your p plates and are on a full AKA licence..this also means with a computer grid you could start your next race from pole..as happened to me.,.first race off p plates and i was on pole...for all of 5 metres anyway

also if you stop racing for any reason as I have..your licence still stays valid (allthough you still have to renew it) for 3 years ..if you dont race for 3 years and then decide to get back into it you will be reqiured to re take your P plate test again.

to obtain a licence you will have to contact your local club president and he will help you out with the paper work required.

ok next point.
whatever your weight limit is in whatever class you have to be that weight...135kg is the limit for my class clubman Light and with myself in full gear and the kart i come in at about 125kg..so 10kg of weight needs to be added...I use a full tank of fuel and lead weights wich are bolted to my seat...i believe the rules state that all weights have to be bolted to seats ..a few years ago you could place it just about anywhere on your kart but i think this has changed now and has to be on your seat..of course you can be over the weight limit..but never under this will result in disqualification from the race you just competed in..usually only the top 3 get weighed but sometimes more are asked to weigh up.
now adding weights to your seat might sound fairly easy ..but it is a bit of a science in getting it right...if you are going to use them then try different postions on the seat for the weights..either up high or down low..this can have an effect on the handling of the kart ..especially in the wet...try to be as close to your weight limit as possible..i suggest you get right to your limit and then go and simulate a race and see how much weight is lost ..say 3kg ..and then add 3 or 4 kg to your kart and then after a race you should come in half to 1 kg over ..which is perfect.

also beware at different tracks..what at your local track may be the right weight maybe 4 kg under at another track..this can catch you out if your not carefull...but the rules state that you must go to the scales of the day so be carefull of this one.

hope this helps you in your racing ...and remember to tell us how your going.

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 2 May 2001, 00:41 (Ref:87802)   #3
Kartracer
Rookie

Kartracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi HRT kid
did you findout what kind of motor you have? I am just curious!
Good luck with your racing
Old 2 May 2001, 06:25 (Ref:87863)   #4
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah i did actually its a j motor which will mean i will be racing in national.

Thanks for ya help again and yes i will say how **** i am going. Im only doing it to have fun and not be too serious about it.