Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Aug 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2739406)   #101
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks, Fogel and SK. That clears it up.....somewhat.

I am for anything that has cool cars and close competition. It does sound promising with some potential, but "potential" can be a dangerous thing.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2739440)   #102
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Essentially GT500 and DTM cars have been prototypes. It wouldn't take much to have all of them share a similar chassis rules set, allowing for different silhouette skins. They are afterall just a silhouette formula.

Making any assumption where it is a shared chassis platform (GT500, DTM and Grand AM), with performance at or above FIA GT1/DP levels, which is really where GT500 is, you can see the possibilities for branding. Forget the DP body, these things are going to be the IMSA silhouettes of the late 70's... just as DTM and SuperGT are currently.

So, the actual branding will be much stronger moving forward.

So, you will have a high performance silhouette formula GT as the lead class, and then FIA GT3 performance levels as the secondary class. Just my speculation, but if it becomes reality, I have to say I like it.
That's what I though until recently as well, but there are a few arguments against that theory:

1) The recent statements from TWK and Marshall Pruett about souped up DPs with smaller greenhouses

2) Hans-Werner Aufrecht's intention to ultimately create a DTM-rules sprint series in the US

3) The following statement from Tom Bledsoe:
Quote:
Change is always a constant in motorsports and we always consider the long-term effects of any potential changes. Many more changes will be forthcoming as we continue to grow our series and work to improve on the product.

One thing, though, is not going to change. GRAND-AM’s commitment to making sports car racing inclusive will remain steadfast and that inclusion will start with the DP class.

We want to build on the long-standing appeal of prototypes, by making sure that sort of unique racing can survive – and thrive – over the long haul.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2739475)   #103
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Perhaps this is the covert way of bringing in a new hi tech NASCAR sprint cup car?
Old 4 Aug 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2739477)   #104
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Perhaps this is the covert way of bringing in a new hi tech NASCAR sprint cup car?
As another Bill would say--AcK-pFFt-hACk-tthht-PFft....
Old 4 Aug 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2739479)   #105
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About this whole thing: My Grandmother had a saying, wish in one hand and sh_t in the other, then see which one gets full first!!!

L.P.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2739493)   #106
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
About this whole thing: My Grandmother had a saying, wish in one hand and sh_t in the other, then see which one gets full first!!!
L.P.
HA, do you know the original author of that verse; I found it while taking a Lit. class in college, but forgot who it was, and have not been able to find the author.
I remember it was a literary notable.

The original was: Put love in one hand and shi-e in the other and see which first fills.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2739607)   #107
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Not hardly, seeing as they've spent the last few years getting the new COT implemented and ironed out. I can see the 5.0 litre stock block powerplants making their way to the cup cars, but the chassis isn't going to change.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2740368)   #108
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Looks like Grand Am will indeed get a DTM-class:

Here:
- DTM-cars to be allowed to run in Grand Am races
- mid term goal is the creation of a DTM-only sprint series
- the goal is that teams from NASCAR and Grand Am run the cars in the sprint series

Very elegant, all of that, actually:
- Grand Am gives the DTM-manufacturers a platform in the US
- the DTM-manufacturers support Grand Am with GT3-cars and probably DP-engines (there was an Audi rumor a few months ago and BMW is already there).
- NASCAR appeaces the American manufacturers who are (according to autoextremist.com) clamoring for more road races and more relevant technology
- Opel is talking to Williams and others about a DTM-campaign with the Insignia... add a new grill and you can race it as a Buick Regal in the US.
That makes a lot of sense.

Have ALMS as an endurance sportscar series, and Grand-Am as a sprint silhouette series.

Having the GA/DTM rules cars running 3.4l 2011 P1 engines would make more sense than 4.0l NA V8s though.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 6 Aug 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2740371)   #109
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
That makes a lot of sense.

Have ALMS as an endurance sportscar series, and Grand-Am as a sprint silhouette series.
Perhaps I should have made my point a little clearer: Grand Am would run the DTM/sprint series in addition to their current endurance series.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2740391)   #110
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'd keep the 24 Hours of Daytona and the 6 Hours at the Glen as special races, then make the rest sprint races (sub-120min).