Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 5 Apr 2008, 18:39 (Ref:2170542)   #1
pete m
Rookie

pete m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
scrubbing in tyres?

hi everyone.
im looking at putting some new dunlop tyres on a historic formula junior single seater racing car.
The tyres are 13" CR65 tread dunlop wet compound compound and the car weighs 500kg inc driver.

Should i be scrubbing them in before race use and what should this involve?

thank you
Pete
Old 5 Apr 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2170657)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Pete Welcome to the forum

Yes scrubbing them in or one heat cycle.

One heat cycle will remove the mold inhibiter on the rubber, and help set the tire. Getting the tire up to opperating temp ~180* F , a few short quick laps, Not too many. Then put the tires away for 24 hours before you race on them. This helps with tire grip.

Good Luck
Old 5 Apr 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2170727)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Scrubbing in, it is well worth it! I have felt the benefits, albeit in a totally different application. I find the benefit is with how long the tyres last, rather than ultimate lap time. With anything other than quallies that is probably what you are looking for.

For the reasons our precious bird mentions
Old 6 Apr 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2170922)   #4
pete m
Rookie

pete m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks guys. sounds worth it i just need to find a way of getting a few laps in before the race
Old 6 Apr 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2171063)   #5
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Scrubbing in, it is well worth it! I have felt the benefits, albeit in a totally different application. I find the benefit is with how long the tyres last, rather than ultimate lap time. With anything other than quallies that is probably what you are looking for.

For the reasons our precious bird mentions
This info is Gold, be aware though that different tyres have different requirements
Case in point
my class has a control tyre use to be an A032R and now A048 (post Yokohama, if you didn't know) With the 32 you use to bring it to 75-80% of max temp, while with the 48 it could only get to 50%. Just part of the nuance of the different tyres.

Now the difference.
I do not think (personal opinion) that the ultimate speed is any different, but, and this is the big thing, the consistancy is, the other thing is how the tyre bounces back after a heat cycle.

The 48 is a shocker, if you do not scrub them then they die, 2nd use and they are gone, by a huge margin, a fast flowing track like Phillip island with a couple of real balls and all corners (where the Moto GP and Superbikes run in Australia) it is 2 seconds in a 1.55 lap. The 32 was less than a 1 second.
Scrub them right and you measure it in tenths!

Also, when you rest them the best results are from stripping them from the rim, but that is not essential, in fact, it is not really worth it. because I have not got any definite data, just a subjective feeling

Can't tell you about your tyre, but I hope my experiance helps.

Last edited by Notso Swift; 6 Apr 2008 at 11:36.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2171121)   #6
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest thing I found for scubbing new tires, was to get the mold inhibitor off the new rubber. That chemical tend to be a bit slick if you just go out and race on a new tire.

Scrubbing also sets of the chemical bonds with in each tire to that stress load of that particular corner. ie dont change the tires from fron to rear or left to right. Scrub the tire in for that corner.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2171311)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Notso, I will be movign to the A048s. That is a useful tip, thanks.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 16:31 (Ref:2171442)   #8
inamo
Rookie

inamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you give the tyre companies a call they'll usually be able to give you accurate advice on how best to scrub in that tyre and care for it generally.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 04:16 (Ref:2172862)   #9
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are welcome Adam

Inamo, absolutely agree, but remember a couple of things
1/ The field guys we talk to are often learning themselves... from the experiance of competitors
2/ The Factory will never admit that a newer tyre is in anyway worse than the older one!
3/ The tyre guys want you to buy more tyres. If someone buys a new set for every race to get the best performance then fine, they guy running on older tyres is never at the front anyway so who cares? I do because I am am the one running on older tyres, I say make the most out of the same thing by just being careful on your run in and get many more laps out of them. Back to the A032r/A048 example, the tyre out of the box will produce the same lap time, it is how it repeats that is the big thing.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 12:49 (Ref:2173829)   #10
Goran Malmberg
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm Sweden
Goran Malmberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One might just run a couple laps to scrub away the moulding layer, then use them direct as qualifyng tires. The heat comes in differnt then but they dont last to long.
Goran