Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Aug 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2744957)   #201
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It was better than I expected. Yes, I would've prefered to see the race live, and would prefer that the lifestyle/technical pieces that Speed does be reserved for a pre-race show. But with NASCAR and F1 creating a sponsor and marketing vacuum, we should be thankful for what we get, unless it's something really assinine, like PLM 2007 where NASCAR qualifying at Talledega ate up 2.5 hours that could've been used for PLM (one of ABC/ESPN's channels could've carried NASCAR Q'ing). At least IMSA had the courtesy to stream the stuff in '08 that was pre-empted by NASCAR coverage and Speed and IMSA had the courtesy to show the ending of the race tape delayed by about an hour in a half or so.

Until IMSA gets a huge sponsor and sportscar racing attains a NASCAR like fan following, were' stuck with this.

Besides, it's a highlights show more or less, and it's made by the same guys who teamed with Audi to make Truth in 24. Best highlights show ever in my book, and they didn't miss much of the more important action. My only compliant was that they had as many commercials as a regular ALMS race, inspite of what IMSA/CBS/Porsche said.

Or if that's not good enough, use the ALMS' stream at their site if you want live, commercial free viewing.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2744988)   #202
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Just watched the cbs coverage, and I think they did another fine job with the docu style. The extra pit chatter that you don't get during a live broadcast was great. It made me wonder if some of the guys fogot they were mic'ed up - Bobby Rahal had some good comments.
I thought it was great! Bobby's comments were priceless. "Copy that... Terrible".
Old 16 Aug 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2744989)   #203
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Besides, it's a highlights show more or less, and it's made by the same guys who teamed with Audi to make Truth in 24. Best highlights show ever in my book, and they didn't miss much of the more important action. My only compliant was that they had as many commercials as a regular ALMS race, inspite of what IMSA/CBS/Porsche said.

Or if that's not good enough, use the ALMS' stream at their site if you want live, commercial free viewing.
The NFL Films guys were busting their asses on Saturday, literally running all over the place.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 00:56 (Ref:2745006)   #204
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I thought it was great! Bobby's comments were priceless. "Copy that... Terrible".
I forget which driver he was talking to at one point, but the driver was saying something about the car and Bobby says "just drive"
Old 16 Aug 2010, 05:47 (Ref:2745037)   #205
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I forget which driver he was talking to at one point, but the driver was saying something about the car and Bobby says "just drive"
I'm pretty sure that was Dirk Mueller, who didn't look very happy when he spoke to Bobby Rahal on the pit box after his shift.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2745111)   #206
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I watched the Motors coverage of the race last night and it looked to me as if the video was the circuit stream and the commentary sounded to be exactly what JH said during the race as I listened to him and watched live timing. I really did miss the positions band and tables that Speed coverage gives. I assume that what we get is the cheapest option for Motors and the ALMS organisers

The CBS show that you guys describe sounds great, I hope we get to see that over here
Old 16 Aug 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2745180)   #207
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
I'm pretty sure that was Dirk Mueller, who didn't look very happy when he spoke to Bobby Rahal on the pit box after his shift.
I forgot about that part when Dirk thought he wasn't going to get any points and he was questioning Bobby about it. It reminded me of a kid asking a parent the same question over and over and over and the parent (Bobby) finally getting fed up and answering "Yes, you are going to score points"
Old 16 Aug 2010, 12:54 (Ref:2745200)   #208
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Got to agree, Bobby was the star!

Chris
Old 16 Aug 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2745236)   #209
dangerman
Rookie

United States
Lakewood, Ohio, USA
dangerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else notice on the CBS broadcast that the Intersport crew were conferring with a Dyson mechanic about retiring their car?
Old 16 Aug 2010, 14:34 (Ref:2745240)   #210
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerman View Post
Did anyone else notice on the CBS broadcast that the Intersport crew were conferring with a Dyson mechanic about retiring their car?
It wasn't a Dyson mechanic, but rather an AER engine guy who primarily works with Dyson. Remember, Dyson's Mazda engine is developed by AER.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2745253)   #211
dangerman
Rookie

United States
Lakewood, Ohio, USA
dangerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19dodge View Post
It wasn't a Dyson mechanic, but rather an AER engine guy who primarily works with Dyson. Remember, Dyson's Mazda engine is developed by AER.
I assumed it was something like that, but it looked like a Dyson shirt. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2745333)   #212
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Any one know what exactly went on with the Intersport Lola? I know from here that they changed electronics to try and fix a misfire because the car was either down a cylinder or running flat. If it's not electronics, it was probably mechanical-valvetrain?

Dyson's Mazda fourbanger sucked a valve at Lime Rock, and I wonder if the 4.0 V8 and the Mazda fourpot share any parts or design commonalities, as it seems that both engines have had similar issues. But then again, I've heard that the 4.0 was two P07/Rover K/N series 2.0 fours mated on a common crank with the block and heads modified/redesigned to allow for a stressed mounting.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 01:41 (Ref:2745624)   #213
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Any one know what exactly went on with the Intersport Lola? I know from here that they changed electronics to try and fix a misfire because the car was either down a cylinder or running flat. If it's not electronics, it was probably mechanical-valvetrain?

Dyson's Mazda fourbanger sucked a valve at Lime Rock, and I wonder if the 4.0 V8 and the Mazda fourpot share any parts or design commonalities, as it seems that both engines have had similar issues. But then again, I've heard that the 4.0 was two P07/Rover K/N series 2.0 fours mated on a common crank with the block and heads modified/redesigned to allow for a stressed mounting.
The Intersport V8 is most likely a P32 Twin Turbo V8. With rather LARGE air intakes. The Mazda MZR-R is a fourbanger single turbo that was a complete rethinking of the P07 line of AER turbos. The concept of the Mazda was light and small. The trouble was, they built it so light it allowed flex of the block and that caused failure after failure. The current 2010 version of the engine was beefed up with more internal structural strengthening to resist the torquing of the block.

The V8 is a 2005ish design and, short of common suppliers, probably shared nothing with the Mazda. It was first built as a 3.6L and upgraded after it's first year to 4.0L. Any reliability issues with the V8 are most likely due to Intersport pushing used engines to the max.

The Dyson team reportedly helped Autocon rebuild their tranny and I think this was one of the few races where the tranny did not fail(see Le Mans) Autocon's pace was solid til near the end when....apparently....and embarrassingly.... the LMPc of Bouchet just plain out-ran them.

dh