Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Sep 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3576137)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2015 Petit Le Mans

Well, this will be the second time in 3 years that a series will be having its final race at Petit. In 2013 it was the ALMS and now we bid farewell to the Tudor United Sportscar Championship. Guess which one will be missed more?

This is going to be a great event again this year - especially if you are at the track. There aren't going to be any surprises on the entry list, but last year the DW managed to put in a decent showing. Wondering if they can repeat that.

Schedule

Entry List

Weather

Spotter Guides

Trackside

FRC

Last edited by joeb; 24 Sep 2015 at 13:17.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3576174)   #2
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
There aren't going to be any surprises on the entry list
Hmmm

Quote:
Though Pruett and Hand are now fourth in the points, expect an all-out effort from the team at the last race of the season, Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta October 1-3.
from http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/pr...omment-1845383

That almost sounds like Ganassi might enter his second car to take away points from the other contenders. Or can it not score points because it's not a seasonal entry?
Old 22 Sep 2015, 21:53 (Ref:3576200)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well, this will be the second time in 3 years that a series will be having its final race at Petit. In 2013 it was the ALMS and now we bid farewell to the Tudor United Sportscar Championship. Guess which one will be missed more?

This is going to be a great event again this year - especially if you are at the track. There aren't going to be any surprises on the entry list, but last year the DW managed to put in a decent showing. Wondering if they can repeat that.
Hooray! Race thread with all the proper links in a nice and neat, color coordinated format.

The time is near! Thanks joeb.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 22:21 (Ref:3576208)   #4
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's just too bad that the only thing changing this time is the title sponsor.
I'm thankful that I was able to make the trip down there in 2013.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 01:18 (Ref:3576225)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
It's just too bad that the only thing changing this time is the title sponsor.
I'm thankful that I was able to make the trip down there in 2013.
That was fun in 2013. Just got my ice chest out prepping for next week and I saw one of those "I was there" bumper stickers they were handing out plastered on the side.

Actually a few things change for 2016. New GTE and new GT3 cars!
Old 23 Sep 2015, 14:01 (Ref:3576367)   #6
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/w...fort-for-2016/

In the S365 article about the Taylors rumor to the WEC. I was thinking from the picture that it would be awesome if at the Petit Le mans the #10 Konica Minolta Corvette DP came to the race in yellow trim. Not black.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3576388)   #7
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/w...fort-for-2016/

In the S365 article about the Taylors rumor to the WEC. I was thinking from the picture that it would be awesome if at the Petit Le mans the #10 Konica Minolta Corvette DP came to the race in yellow trim. Not black.
That would be cool!

(tbh, also the Action Express #5 DP would profit massively from a better color scheme, I liked the red/silver livery they ran on the #9 before).

Taling about the #9, will we see it back to help the other 2 AX cars?
Old 23 Sep 2015, 20:36 (Ref:3576458)   #8
Coach Ep
Veteran

Lizards will attend with a rather serious driver line up:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/fl...e-mans-lineup/

should be a contender for a podium finish.

Also looks like a rehearsal for next season.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 22:21 (Ref:3576483)   #9
Coach Ep
Veteran

Joeb, entry list is out: http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...tryList_v1.pdf

feel free to delete this post once uploaded to your initial one.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 22:27 (Ref:3576484)   #10
Coach Ep
Veteran

Entry list 'remarkables':

- Lizards return to GTD with Pro line up
- no second or third car from Ganassi and Action Express (both long shots anyway)
- no ESM Patron cars (as announced). Still weird as the Petit is also the last round of the Patron enduro cup (which coincidentally - and to rub extra salt into wounds - is continued next year...)
- Skip that Starworks DP car, it'll be a no-show once again!
-one of the PC cars damaged at CotA is not repaired on time it seems, number in class is down to 8.
- lots of high caliber 3rd driver additions (as we're used to)!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 00:20 (Ref:3576505)   #11
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting to see Guy Cosmo back with the Lizards.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 02:16 (Ref:3576526)   #12
Coach Ep
Veteran

Did I mention already that I'm very glad Road Atlanta has no tarmac run off (the motorcycle chicane at T3 not counting as such)? Well, I am!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 11:48 (Ref:3576623)   #13
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Did I mention already that I'm very glad Road Atlanta has no tarmac run off (the motorcycle chicane at T3 not counting as such)? Well, I am!
Not sure if you did or not but I'm glad too, even though some of the old timers think there's a slight runoff at T5, with one of the short track courses on the outside. In the past, if you got off in the grass there, it was bad news where you'd find an embankment pretty easily.

Chicanes in the esses, at least the bottom one, should be removed.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 13:19 (Ref:3576636)   #14
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
It will be a big difference to the spectacle at COTA last week. I have never been to VIR, but one of the things I like there is the grass all around the track. Looks great on tv, and you have no advantage by extending track limits.

Also, thanks for the entry list update!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 13:19 (Ref:3576638)   #15
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Has Pat Long run with Falken previously? of is this a first?
Old 24 Sep 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3576639)   #16
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Has Pat Long run with Falken previously? of is this a first?
He did Daytona and Sebring with them. I don't remember if he drove at Watkins Glen.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 14:47 (Ref:3576656)   #17
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Not sure if you did or not but I'm glad too, even though some of the old timers think there's a slight runoff at T5, with one of the short track courses on the outside. In the past, if you got off in the grass there, it was bad news where you'd find an embankment pretty easily.

Chicanes in the esses, at least the bottom one, should be removed.
Agreed although in this day and age I'm just glad they don't use it!

And the cut through at T5 provides no advantage whatsoever in terms of improved lap times (and the exit between 8-9 is now blocked off, preventing a staggering new lap record anyway! ) but it's convenient for cars with mechanical issues and such (and during the Petit the rescue + recovery crews are staged there). Besides, compared to the loss of the dip (which I unfortunately never got to witness ) that piece hardly exists.

Quote:
It will be a big difference to the spectacle at COTA last week. I have never been to VIR, but one of the things I like there is the grass all around the track. Looks great on tv, and you have no advantage by extending track limits.
Go, just go there!

After flying in to ATL early Sat. morning, we'll be driving up to VIR for the Trans Am race on Sun. TA has 56 cars listed which will all race together, it'll be awesome, especially in the uphill esses (T8-9)!

I'm also confident TA will have VIR on it's schedule next year so you'll better start planning early! (TA schedule expected to come out in november, either around the penultimate round at CotA or the Daytona finale the week after.)

Quote:
Has Pat Long run with Falken previously? or is this a first?
Edit: already answered! I believe so but not sure either, it was Nick Tandy in previous years so that almost feels like a (tiny) step back for them!
A stellar line up nevertheless and with possibly some precipitation during the race they should be among the favorites for the win once again!

Let's hope Walker Racing will be back next year (I don't really care in which class, either GTLM or GTD works for me), it's a top notch operation!

Last edited by Coach Ep; 24 Sep 2015 at 14:53. Reason: what? is there a page 2 to this topic already? I should give it a look before replying...
Old 24 Sep 2015, 14:58 (Ref:3576658)   #18
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/12186...-petit-le-mans
Old 24 Sep 2015, 17:16 (Ref:3576695)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Agreed although in this day and age I'm just glad they don't use it!

And the cut through at T5 provides no advantage whatsoever in terms of improved lap times (and the exit between 8-9 is now blocked off, preventing a staggering new lap record anyway! ) but it's convenient for cars with mechanical issues and such (and during the Petit the rescue + recovery crews are staged there). Besides, compared to the loss of the dip (which I unfortunately never got to witness ) that piece hardly exists.
But it provides no disadvantage to lap times now If your were out there before it was paved, you'd be in the grass/clay and likely spinning or in the guardrail/embankment as that is off camber out there. It's fun stand next to the fence there and watch them "hop" the rumble strips.

However, as you say both the cut throughs there provide a safe pull off just past one of the tightest parts of the circuit.

And I seen the dip!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 18:12 (Ref:3576715)   #20
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
But it provides no disadvantage to lap times now If your were out there before it was paved, you'd be in the grass/clay and likely spinning or in the guardrail/embankment as that is off camber out there. It's fun stand next to the fence there and watch them "hop" the rumble strips.

However, as you say both the cut throughs there provide a safe pull off just past one of the tightest parts of the circuit.

And I seen the dip!
I think I didn't fully understand you at first but by now I'm taken it you're talking about the extra strip of tarmac coming from the back straight that merges back with the original track at the exit of 5 (5A in corner workers language) on drivers right. Initially was looking at the 'escape' route coming outta the esses and shortcutting the entire 6-8 complex. Both pieces of tarmac are separated at the base by a (sort of) triangular shaped gravel trap. I'm aware you know what the place looks like, just trying to describe the pic I have in my head right here.

All good in other words and yes, you're correct, using that extra bit of run off on driver's right gives many drivers a little advantage there. The little dip right at the end of the marble strips is certainly entertaining, often you seen cars move a feet or two (and sometimes more than that!) towards the tire wall! I always hope the drivers just keep their steering wheel fixed and straight but every now and then one adjusts his steering, giving us the opportunity to wave a yellow and make a call!

Great stuff. That's what racing is supposed to be like!

Last edited by Coach Ep; 24 Sep 2015 at 18:25.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3576779)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I think I didn't fully understand you at first but by now I'm taken it you're talking about the extra strip of tarmac coming from the back straight that merges back with the original track at the exit of 5 (5A in corner workers language) on drivers right. Initially was looking at the 'escape' route coming outta the esses and shortcutting the entire 6-8 complex. Both pieces of tarmac are separated at the base by a (sort of) triangular shaped gravel trap. I'm aware you know what the place looks like, just trying to describe the pic I have in my head right here.

All good in other words and yes, you're correct, using that extra bit of run off on driver's right gives many drivers a little advantage there. The little dip right at the end of the marble strips is certainly entertaining, often you seen cars move a feet or two (and sometimes more than that!) towards the tire wall! I always hope the drivers just keep their steering wheel fixed and straight but every now and then one adjusts his steering, giving us the opportunity to wave a yellow and make a call!

Great stuff. That's what racing is supposed to be like!
You got it! Great stuff indeed.

T5, like the rest of the track, is great viewing from several angles. Just wish I could see it from the "outside" where one of the marshall stands used to be.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 24 Sep 2015 at 21:20. Reason: 8
Old 28 Sep 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3577767)   #22
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petit Pick 'Em http://nasportscar.com/2014-tusc-pick-em/
Old 29 Sep 2015, 15:52 (Ref:3578046)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Weather has been the hot button issue in the trackside thread and it will surely play a factor in Thursday's proceedings. Hopefully, we'll get some dry time for night practice, if nothing else.

Shame the lack of banter and noise in this thread as it used to bring so much interest, just like the race. I'll enjoy not working and being trackside with friends and hope to meet some new ones.

I've just now run through the entry and see that the #4 has only Oli and Tommy with no TBA. Will be a long weekend for them!

And as much as I'd like to see a Bowtie take the win, I'll be pulling for Falken to go out on top!
Old 29 Sep 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3578065)   #24
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Weather has been the hot button issue in the trackside thread and it will surely play a factor in Thursday's proceedings. Hopefully, we'll get some dry time for night practice, if nothing else.

Shame the lack of banter and noise in this thread as it used to bring so much interest, just like the race. I'll enjoy not working and being trackside with friends and hope to meet some new ones.

I've just now run through the entry and see that the #4 has only Oli and Tommy with no TBA. Will be a long weekend for them!

And as much as I'd like to see a Bowtie take the win, I'll be pulling for Falken to go out on top!

I am always curious to see the dynamic of the race if it rains because the GTLM cars with those custom tires can probably match the speeds of the DP cars on spec contis (or come pretty darn close). That happened at Watkins Glen

My pick is a Corvette sweep of prototype and GTLM for this race
Old 29 Sep 2015, 17:23 (Ref:3578073)   #25
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I am always curious to see the dynamic of the race if it rains because the GTLM cars with those custom tires can probably match the speeds of the DP cars on spec contis (or come pretty darn close). That happened at Watkins Glen
While the Michelin rain options are very good, you might be confusing those who started on rains VS those that started on slicks... at least as far as Watkins Glen was concerned. :-)

-mike