Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

View Poll Results: Who will be the 2016 PWC GT Drivers Champion?
Alvaro Parente (#9 K-Pax Racing/Flying Lizard Mclaren 650s GT3) 4 30.77%
Patrick Long (#58 Wright Motorsports/#31 EFFORT Racing Porsche 911 GT3-R) 6 46.15%
Johnny O'Connell (#3 Cadillac Racing Cadillac ATS-V.R) 3 23.08%
Michael Cooper (#8 Cadillac Racing Cadillac ATS-V.R) 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Oct 2016, 21:16 (Ref:3678749)   #51
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
That was a really unfortunate finale from top to bottom, with the comedy of finally realizing they'd mis-allocated points 2 hours before the start to the parade of safety cars, to the lack of clarity over a safety car finish, to the unnecessary contact that decided the championship.

I thought either of the main protagonists would be worthy champions but it was a bad way to end things, especially after last year's ridiculous finale. PWC has the ingredients of a great series but the races I have watched this year have been mixed at best.
And then technical problems make the champ's interview crap out and they end the stream with nothing.
Old 9 Oct 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3678750)   #52
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Yes, it was completed to the extent that you don't punt off the championship leader after you made a mistake and he had to pass you. No doubt Long would have been happy with second but wasn't going to hang about after O'Connell went off.

After he's made a mistake like that, he's got no right to punt off someone passing him IMO.

Real lack of respect in the commentary team not calling as it was either. That's not 'hard racing' and 'super exciting', it's a mess.

Meh, I'm off to bed.
It was sarcastic if you didn't catch it.
Old 9 Oct 2016, 21:19 (Ref:3678751)   #53
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, sorry, was in reply to O'Connell's presumptive reply rather than you
Old 9 Oct 2016, 21:19 (Ref:3678754)   #54
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
A yellow flag finish would have been bad, but actually ... this is even worse.
Old 9 Oct 2016, 21:45 (Ref:3678757)   #55
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well. That was interesting.

Really awesome to see Parente, KPAX Racing, Flying Lizard and McLaren take it all! One heck of a season!
Old 9 Oct 2016, 21:56 (Ref:3678762)   #56
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
And then technical problems make the champ's interview crap out and they end the stream with nothing.
Haha they never got it back? I had pretty much stopped paying attention after the checkers but saw that happen and shut it off. What a joke.
Old 9 Oct 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3678763)   #57
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Yes, it was completed to the extent that you don't punt off the championship leader after you made a mistake and he had to pass you. No doubt Long would have been happy with second but wasn't going to hang about after O'Connell went off.

After he's made a mistake like that, he's got no right to punt off someone passing him IMO.

Real lack of respect in the commentary team not calling as it was either. That's not 'hard racing' and 'super exciting', it's a mess.

Meh, I'm off to bed.
From Twitter:
Quote:
Andrew Barca ‏@HurricaneBarca 46m46 minutes ago Wow! Contact for the lead between Long & OConnell hands @alvaroparente the championship on the last lap! #PWCMRLS

Old 9 Oct 2016, 22:34 (Ref:3678772)   #58
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Haha they never got it back? I had pretty much stopped paying attention after the checkers but saw that happen and shut it off. What a joke.
Nope, just said, "sorry about that, goodbye!"

I was hoping they'd interview Pat Long.
Old 9 Oct 2016, 23:38 (Ref:3678782)   #59
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Here you go:
http://sportscar365.com/gt/world-cha...-lap-incident/

Some hurt feelings after this one.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 00:12 (Ref:3678790)   #60
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd like to see the race replay. How long sure it usually take the series to post a race on YouTube?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 01:17 (Ref:3678795)   #61
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I'd like to see the race replay. How long sure it usually take the series to post a race on YouTube?
They haven't been posting them on YouTube this year, which sucks. However, they do usually upload them to https://www.motortrendondemand.com/ shortly after the broadcast airs on CBS Sports. There's a 'Join free for 30 days' option.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 01:37 (Ref:3678800)   #62
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
They haven't been posting them on YouTube this year, which sucks. However, they do usually upload them to https://www.motortrendondemand.com/ shortly after the broadcast airs on CBS Sports. There's a 'Join free for 30 days' option.
Thanks, I'll check the cbssports listings in the next couple weeks.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 01:55 (Ref:3678802)   #63
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
They don't anymore, you have to buy MotorTrend's "On Demand" service or find someone who uploads the race unofficially. Apparently they decided that the series wasn't hard enough to watch on their terrible streaming site or (usually greatly) delayed uploads to YouTube, so they went and dumped it behind a paywall because that is sure to gain them more fans.

There is a clip of the last few laps that someone uploaded though, if you just want to see the contact:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1XkUN7K7Q

It was a bit of a touring car move from O'Connell, and I'm not saying he should have done it but he's not paid to care about the championship races of other people and the door was kinda open still. Long had a gap to Parente too so he didn't really have to press the issue, and unfortunately it didn't look like he made it ahead enough to move in front to close the door. I get the feeling that O'Connell probably thought Long would go for the cautious route and leave a lane on the inside in case, and likewise that Long probably didn't think Johnny would be too aggressive with him since he was fighting for the championship.

I'd put the blame more on O'Connell of course, and obviously it's easy to say with hindsight but it was a bit unnecessary for both of them. With the way people love to hate GM I can't help but feel if the roles were reversed it would be met with laughs instead.

Seems kinda N24-esque to me, one car sticks it up the inside to the surprise of the other when a small door is left open, contact is made and bumps the car on the outside wide. Shame that it had championship implications this time.

I like Pat Long but maybe all the negative karma that other Porsche factory guys earned by crashing into other people this season fell on him for this race?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 02:06 (Ref:3678803)   #64
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
They don't anymore, you have to buy MotorTrend's "On Demand" service or find someone who uploads the race unofficially. Apparently they decided that the series wasn't hard enough to watch on their terrible streaming site or (usually greatly) delayed uploads to YouTube, so they went and dumped it behind a paywall because that is sure to gain them more fans.

There is a clip of the last few laps that someone uploaded though, if you just want to see the contact:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1XkUN7K7Q

It was a bit of a touring car move from O'Connell, and I'm not saying he should have done it but he's not paid to care about the championship races of other people and the door was kinda open still. Long had a gap to Parente too so he didn't really have to press the issue, and unfortunately it didn't look like he made it ahead enough to move in front to close the door. I get the feeling that O'Connell probably thought Long would go for the cautious route and leave a lane on the inside in case, and likewise that Long probably didn't think Johnny would be too aggressive with him since he was fighting for the championship.

I'd put the blame more on O'Connell of course, and obviously it's easy to say with hindsight but it was a bit unnecessary for both of them. With the way people love to hate GM I can't help but feel if the roles were reversed it would be met with laughs instead.

Seems kinda N24-esque to me, one car sticks it up the inside to the surprise of the other when a small door is left open, contact is made and bumps the car on the outside wide. Shame that it had championship implications this time.

I like Pat Long but maybe all the negative karma that other Porsche factory guys earned by crashing into other people this season fell on him for this race?
Thanks for posting this. The contract was less dramatic than I was expecting having read the thread, but would be super interested to see onboard from both cars. Whoever was at fault, it isn't the ideal way to end the season.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 02:51 (Ref:3678816)   #65
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks for posting this. The contract was less dramatic than I was expecting having read the thread, but would be super interested to see onboard from both cars. Whoever was at fault, it isn't the ideal way to end the season.
I'm sure Parente didn't mind the way it ended
Old 10 Oct 2016, 03:03 (Ref:3678821)   #66
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I'm sure Parente didn't mind the way it ended
True enough!
Old 10 Oct 2016, 04:06 (Ref:3678832)   #67
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some really exciting finishes this weekend. I like Johnny o, but that was not cool today, pat had him, he should have conceded the corner rather than hitting him in the door. And the quote about wanting it more was crap. Long handled the situation with class imo..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 10 Oct 2016, 05:29 (Ref:3678838)   #68
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Johnny O has been penalized 2.1 seconds, or basically moved to just behind Long.
http://files.world-challenge.com/eve...-GTC_FINAL.pdf
Old 10 Oct 2016, 05:30 (Ref:3678839)   #69
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little consolation really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 10 Oct 2016, 05:35 (Ref:3678840)   #70
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
My first thought (after "Omigosh, KPAX wins it all") was that Johnny and Pat were the co-drivers of the guys that tangled in another rather messy sports car season-ender at Laguna Seca seven years ago...

https://youtu.be/DuA79kJ0EGM?t=2h38m38s

I don't think it was retaliation or anything though.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 06:57 (Ref:3678846)   #71
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I think that Long left the door open a bit but O Connell shouldn't have hit him regardless. I'd say both were at fault in one way or another.

Great to see Parente grab the title
Old 10 Oct 2016, 07:12 (Ref:3678848)   #72
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see how Long could've closed the door since he was overtaking, not defending?

Anyway, the impression I've always had with PWC was it was a Caddy playground that let other cars in. That seemed to continue with this race. They also need to look at how much of the race is run under yellow. Every time I've tried to watch PWC, I seem to spend more time watching safety cars than racing. A pretty disgraceful accident, with a penalty applied that doesn't really change anything. It's all very touring car like.

On a side note, PWC live streaming for international viewers is nice. The fact they use an outdated flash system which doesn't work on some devices is not. With other series (ELMS, VLN, Blancpain, SuperGT, etc) using YouTube, it might be wise to move into the modern world and make it easier to access content.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 09:31 (Ref:3678872)   #73
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me IMSA beats the PWC because they put entire races on YouTube.

Even trans-am beat them...
Old 10 Oct 2016, 10:00 (Ref:3678875)   #74
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
For me IMSA beats the PWC because they put entire races on YouTube.

Even trans-am beat them...
I can't speak for domestic viewing as I don't know what is Geoblocked and what isn't, but the International coverage of IMSA through IMSA Radio/RLM is absolutely perfect. I'd change *nothing* about the IMSA coverage. Easy to get to, works on every device I've tried, no commercials, and the best commentary set there is available. PWC could learn a lot from this.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3678943)   #75
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So let's see: right before the final Sprint race, the points changed to reflect a 5 month old math error and both the Sprint and SprintX winners didn't actually win because they were penalized post-race.

Maybe it's a good thing this series isn't easy to watch domestically.