Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2018, 07:19 (Ref:3809802)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Australian Grand Prix 2018: Grand Prix Weekend Thread

Welcome back. New year. New chapter in F1.

1st stop Melbourne. ((Go the mighty storm!))

Home race for Dan. So let’s win it for once.

Let the drama begin.

Last edited by Born Racer; 23 Mar 2018 at 01:35.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 07:36 (Ref:3809807)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post

1st stop Melbourne. ((Go the mighty storm!))

Let the drama begin.
Talking of Melbourne Storm the forecast for Saturday suggests 90% chance of rain with a possible thunderstorm in the afternoon... about qualy time!

Sunday forecast is 70% chance of rain in the late afternoon /evening.

Friday is Sunny and 29C
From the Bureau of Met:
Quote:
Saturday 24 March
Summary: Min 19 Max 24 Showers.Possible rainfall: 4 to 10 mm. Chance of any rain: 90%
Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers, most likely in the late morning and afternoon. Slight risk of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and early evening. Winds northerly 25 to 40 km/h becoming light in the late afternoon then becoming northerly 15 to 25 km/h in the late evening.

Sunday 25 March
Summary: Min 18 Max 23 Shower or two. Windy . Possible rainfall: 2 to 8 mm. Chance of any rain: 70%

Cloudy. A slight (30%) chance of a shower, increasing to a high (70%) chance of showers during the evening. Winds northerly 30 to 45 km/h turning northwesterly 25 to 30 km/h during the morning then increasing to 25 to 40 km/h during the day.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3809809)   #3
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gosh 1 day away from the start of a new season, and we finally have 1 post regarding the Aussie GP. This forum is really on the decline isn't it?

I watched replays of the 94 and 98 Australian GPs today being played between Supercars. Good stuff, brings back memories of watching it the first time. I wondered, did Benetton ever confirm if Schumacher did break his suspension on the wall just prior to hitting Damon? It would be interesting to know. Otherwise I think he pretty much had the race under control and was keeping him at bay until the incident. It's exciting how close the cars used to be able to run to one another.

98 race; I bet DC regrets gifting Hakkinen another win.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3809810)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Gosh 1 day away from the start of a new season, and we finally have 1 post regarding the Aussie GP. This forum is really on the decline isn't it?
I think because of the post below, most were waiting for the Born Racer thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I just heard back from Born Racer. He is working on content for a thread and it should be posted in the near future. I had typed up something this morning to create my own, but I am sure his would be much better.

Until that thread shows up, it's probably good to continue discussing here! I am looking forward to the race this weekend. I will have to plan out my viewing to make sure I am all set for the switch to ESPN here in the US.

Richard
Old 22 Mar 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3809816)   #5
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Can't wait...V8 Supercars with those boring F1 things as support races...
Old 22 Mar 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3809836)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it's about time it's back. Finally we'll see who's got a chance for the season ahead.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3809839)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think because of the post below, most were waiting for the Born Racer thread?
I had suggested to Born Racer that if his content wasn’t ready yet that he should create the thread and then fill in details after the fact. That someone would eventually create a thread if he waited too long.

So, to be fair, it is Thursday and weekend events start today. It’s sort of fair game at this point IMHO. Maybe Born Racer will be back for the next race.

Richard
Old 22 Mar 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3809847)   #8
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Not a single question on if the drivers like the Halo during the drivers press conference. Strange.

It was almost like that question was not allowed to be asked.

Old 22 Mar 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3809853)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I had suggested to Born Racer that if his content wasn’t ready yet that he should create the thread and then fill in details after the fact. That someone would eventually create a thread if he waited too long.

So, to be fair, it is Thursday and weekend events start today. It’s sort of fair game at this point IMHO. Maybe Born Racer will be back for the next race.

Richard
Yeah - agreed. I was just speculating if the suspense waiting for the Born Racer thread was the reason that it was perceived as quiet?

Looking forward to seeing the Born Racer thread(s) again, but in the meantime I guess we've got FAS33's starter to work with.

Although I suspect that FAS33 is getting a bit excited so far, given that his beloved Dan will probably come in sixth or lower, having been beaten by silver cars, red cars and his teammate.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3809855)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Not a single question on if the drivers like the Halo during the drivers press conference. Strange.
While no-one asked if they liked the halo, Gaetan Vigneron asked if they were happy about one the halo's effects.

Old 22 Mar 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3809860)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I wondered, did Benetton ever confirm if Schumacher did break his suspension on the wall just prior to hitting Damon? It would be interesting to know. Otherwise I think he pretty much had the race under control and was keeping him at bay until the incident. It's exciting how close the cars used to be able to run to one another.
Yeah, Schumachers car was borked. I think Hill mentioned this in his Biography - if he had not attempted the move, he would have been WDC that year. I am not sure if Benetton ever confirmed or denied the damage. It's one of those moments that goes into F1 folklore like Mansells exploding tyre, and the 2 Senna / Prost collisions etc.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3809907)   #12
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yeah - agreed. I was just speculating if the suspense waiting for the Born Racer thread was the reason that it was perceived as quiet?
Yes, I agree. I had been relatively quiet as I was waiting on the race thread.

Here is a list of things I am interested in seeing. Some specific to this race, some just 2018 in general...

* Ferrari has been relatively stable from a staff perspective. They seem to have done well in winter testing. What will they look like in 2018?

* Second year for Bottas at Mercedes. He should be settled in. No excuses now. How will things go between him and Hamilton?

* RBR was able to make Renault power work for them at times. McLaren has blamed Honda for all of their issues. So no excuses for McLaren now. Will they prove themselves right and be at the front, or will this potentially show that some of McLaren's prior issues are... McLaren issues.

* What will happen with TR. New drivers should be settled in. Things seem positive with the Honda power unit. Might be exciting to watch! I sure hope so.

* Haas seems to maybe have started work on 2018 car earlier and if I remember correctly they did decently well in winter testing. Will they step up this year?

* It will be interesting to watch the Sirotkin vs. Stroll situation at Williams. Regardless of what happens, it will generate plenty to talk about.

* Not much to say about Sauber other than can they keep themselves off the back of the grid?

* Force India... will I ever grow to love their livery?

* RBR, Ricciardo vs. Verstappen battle will be interesting. I would think that Verstappen should only get better at this point as he matures???

Richard
Old 22 Mar 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3809908)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

* RBR, Ricciardo vs. Verstappen battle will be interesting. I would think that Verstappen should only get better at this point as he matures???
Definitely an interesting battle should be seen here.

I wonder though - does maturity come with a tempered approach and we'll see a less risk-taking approach?
Old 22 Mar 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3809925)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Definitely an interesting battle should be seen here.

I wonder though - does maturity come with a tempered approach and we'll see a less risk-taking approach?
There has to be a right balance. I think gaps always exists, but the answer is not always "go for it" as sometimes the odds are that it will not work. I would hope with maturity that he still goes for it, but mostly for those that are likely to work!

Time will tell!

Richard
Old 23 Mar 2018, 01:33 (Ref:3810020)   #15
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Formula 1 touches down again in Australia, as the country once again hosts the season opener. Australia was always a popular location for the season finale when it was held in Adelaide and when switching to the first race of the campaign in 1996, Melbourne’s Albert Park has become a favourite venue for many, with an atmosphere that captivates the city in a similar way to Montréal’s city race.

Although world championship racing did not take place until 1985, the Australian Grand Prix has an extensive history.

The first Grand Prix in the country is thought to have been in 1927 in Sydney, although information is sparse, while the following year saw the 100 Miles Road Race on Phillip Island, won by Arthur Waite in an Austin. The race was named the Australian Grand Prix in 1929 and was won by a Bugatti until 1932. 1935 was the last such race on Phillip Island, after which Victor Harbor hosted a South Australian Grand Prix in 1936, before Mount Panorama near Bathurst held the 1938 Australian Grand Prix and the town of Lobethal organised the 1939 event.

Post-war, the Grand Prix alternated between various states, including races on airfield tracks and street circuits. They included no less than Bathurst, Point Cook, Leyburn, Nuriootpa, Narrogin, South Port, Port Wakefield, Caversham, Longford, Mallala, Warwick Farm, Sandown, Lakeside, Surfers Paradise, Oran Park, Wanneroo, Calder and, Albert Park itself, in 1953 and 1956.

In the first race in Adelaide in 1985, Niki Lauda led on his final race until retiring with brake failure, while Keke Rosberg won in his McLaren from the Ligiers of Jacques Laffite and Philippe Streiff, the latter completing the podium despite having just three wheels properly attached to his car, with his front axle damaged after touching his team-mate.

1986 was the scene of Nigel Mansell’s dramatic failure to take his first championship. He headed into the race battling team-mate Nelson Piquet and McLaren’s Alain Prost for the title, and was set to take it when in a comfortable 3rd position on lap 64, his left-rear tyre exploded and Nigel struggled to control it, the blow out ending in a minor touch with the barrier at the end of a straight. Williams made a precautionary stop for Piquet and Prost took his first championship win.

1987 saw a Ferrari 1-2 with Gerhard Berger leading home Michele Alboreto and Thierry Boutsen completing the podium for Benetton. Prost beat his new team-mate and world champion Ayrton Senna in 1988, while 1989 was a wet one, stopped after 70 laps with 11 scheduled laps not run. Boutsen won for Williams. Pierluigi Martini, having qualified an excellent 3rd in his Minardi came home for the final point in 6th.

Piquet won in his Benetton from the Ferraris of Nigel Mansell and Alain Prost, while 1991 saw the shortest ever Grand Prix. Held in atrociously wet conditions, Senna won from Mansell and Berger after just 14 laps. The following year, Gerhard Berger took the win for McLaren, with the Benettons of Michael Schumacher and Martin Brundle filling the other steps on the podium. World championship-winning team Williams saw both their cars go out, Patrese due to an engine failure and Mansell retiring following an overtaking move from Senna, which also saw the Brazilian have a DNF.

In 1993, Ayrton Senna took his final Grand Prix win, with Alain Prost and Damon Hill following him home in their Williams cars, while 1994 saw the dramatic denouement of the championship battle as Schumacher drove into Damon Hill in a desperate last-moment bid to save his season after he had gone off and brushed the wall. Hill, having not seen the incident, did not hang back in his attempts to pass and was soon brought into the pits handing the German the first of his record-breaking seven titles. Meanwhile, Nigel Mansell, like Senna a year earlier, took his final Grand Prix win.

1995 saw a race of attrition, with just eight finishers and a dominant Damon Hill sealing the win by 2 laps. Olivier Panis somehow made it home 2nd in his Ligier despite a messy oil leak, while Gianni Morbidelli got Arrows’s penultimate podium and last for a year and a half before Hill took his runner-up slot in Hungary. It was in practice that Mika Hakkinen suffered a big impact, but he managed to return by the next race the following season.

That next one was the return of Albert Park. Jacques Villeneuve had something of a sensational debut, with pole position and almost the win, before an oil leak caused by an off-track excursion handed it to eventual world champion Hill. Martin Brundle had a dramatic barrel roll on the opening lap.

Other races of note include 1998, where McLaren dominated the first race of the new regulations with the narrower cars and grooved tyres, although there was controversy when David Coulthard was forced to move over for Mika Hakkinen, following a pre-race agreement about whoever got into the first corner first being given the right to win.

Last year, Sebastian Vettel got Ferrari’s season off on the right footing with victory from eventual world champ Lewis Hamilton. Valtteri Bottas completed the podium for Mercedes.

Circuit length: 5.303km
Number of laps: 58
Race distance: 307.574km
Dry weather tyre compounds: Ultrasoft, Supersoft and Soft
DRS Detection Zone 1: Before Turn 11
DRS Activation Zone 1: Between Turns 12 and 13
DRS Detection Zone 2: Just before Turn 14
DRS Activation Zone 2: On start-finish straight
Speed trap: At end of start-finish straight

Lap Record: 1:24.125 (2004 – Michael Schumacher – Ferrari)
First Grand Prix: 1927
First World Championship Grand Prix: 1985
First World Championship Grand Prix on current layout: 1996

You can join in the predictions contest until up until just before qualifying: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152550
Old 23 Mar 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3810023)   #16
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Nice work Born Racer!
Showers forecast for both Saturday and Sunday in Melbourne - could make it quite a lottery.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 02:19 (Ref:3810024)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Mercedes 1-2 so far......I had to knock off work at lunch time to do some paperwork at home and just happened to turn the TV on..F1 and England getting smashed at the cricket...

Last edited by Armco Bender; 23 Mar 2018 at 02:26.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 04:14 (Ref:3810034)   #18
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Note that a new DRS zone has been added after turn 12, which adds to the previous two zones on the front straight and after turn 2.

The McLarens were very late in getting on track for FP1 today.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 04:37 (Ref:3810035)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great to see the thread has started and that Born Racer has included all that info.

I'm looking forward to the first race of the season but I just hope 2018 doesn't turn into another Mercedes whitewash. Hopefully Melbourne will throw up some surprises.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 04:41 (Ref:3810036)   #20
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Been waiting for this weekend for ages!
Old 23 Mar 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3810055)   #21
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
So the Australian boy has been done again! 3 place grid penalty. For slowing down too much??

Meanwhile, Raikkonen's block that caused Bottas to swerve out on the gravel in FP2 is deemed to be ok. No penalty. Which one of those was the more dangerous move?
Old 23 Mar 2018, 09:52 (Ref:3810057)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
So the Australian boy has been done again! 3 place grid penalty. For slowing down too much??
No - for not slowing down enough. He failed to stay above the minimum time.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3810058)   #23
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously

"Car 3 did not stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU under the red flag."

Old 23 Mar 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3810059)   #24
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

"Car 3 did not stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU under the red flag."

Exactly - failed to slow down enough - but they were lenient on the penalty issued. (Note the use of the phrase ' lesser penalty than usual')

Last edited by crmalcolm; 23 Mar 2018 at 10:11.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3810066)   #25
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
For not slowing enough I think you will find. (Although he did slow significantly it was not for long enough and he was under the minim time delta)

Quote:
“The Stewards reviewed the data and video and found that Ricciardo did in fact fail to stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU in the penultimate and final mini marshalling sectors,” read the report.

“The Stewards also found that Ricciardo slowed by as much as 175km/h from his fast times at Turn 12 and was consistently and significantly slower in the final three turns, indicating that he was fully complying with the requirements of Appendix H of the International Sporting Code.“

However, he admitted an error in reading his dash and was slightly below the minimum time.

“As the regulation states, Art. 31.6 was added this year to ensure that drivers reduce speed sufficiently during a red flag. Breach of this regulation is seen to be an extremely serious matter."