Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Apr 2003, 21:12 (Ref:575141)   #1
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Attendance

It was a low attendance at Imola this weekend, drawing some stick from Max Mosely (on ITV on Saturday), and commentators alike, this from John Legard on 5Live today:
Quote:
The crowd rises as one... as it is

So, why? and what can be done about it? According to John and Morris Hamilton on the wireless, there's a few reasons:
* Ferrari are too successful - attendance has been dropping since the double in 2000
* Easter weekend - Italians are very religous, of course
* Costs - apparantly tickets were very expensive

Interesting theories - but not good for the survival of teh race!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 21:55 (Ref:575165)   #2
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think having it at Easter in Italy was a mistake with it being one of the most religious countries in the world.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 02:06 (Ref:575271)   #3
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the last decade there were races at Brazil and Argentina during Easter Sunday; it also affected the attendance of those races (for example in Argentinan GP 1998).
Old 21 Apr 2003, 06:58 (Ref:575342)   #4
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised they have a race at Easter, even on the basis of all the teams families who are 'off' for those days.

Regarding your points Asp:

1. What does that say about many so-called Ferrari fans?
2. Could do with changing.
3. Yup - when this begins to happen at other sporting events they do things like letting the kids in free (to attract a new generation) I'd reckon they'd make more money by selling more cheaper seats than a few expensive one's.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 08:24 (Ref:575389)   #5
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Attendance at Imola?

It should come as no surprise to the questions about attendance at the race in Imola.I think a more pressing question should be asked...why?

I think that the race organizers and the FIA have to get over the deaths of Ratzenberger(yes,he also died that weekend)and Senna, and restore the circuit to it's former glory.The circuit as it stands today, has no rhythum and I hope that changes soon.Bring back the Tamburello and Villeneuve corners and we may see the fans fill the stands again.I saw an awful lot of green today!

Tye
Old 21 Apr 2003, 09:50 (Ref:575421)   #6
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
I think having it at Easter in Italy was a mistake with it being one of the most religious countries in the world.
Definitelly.
So, they should have taken our Easter for the race (27th(
Old 21 Apr 2003, 17:17 (Ref:575764)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holding the race on Easter Sunday is the best reason given here for the bad attendance. Being its very much a day for family get-togethers, I'll bet TV ratings were pretty high.

As for Ferrari being to succesful, come-on, your kidding, right!? We all know Italians could never get enough of all things Ferrari, especially winning!

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Apr 2003, 18:04 (Ref:575792)   #8
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the problem is to do with Monaco. There is a bank holiday in Monte Carlo when the GP takes place and that is normally 6 weeks after Easter (last year it was 8). As Grand Prix are normally every 2 weeks there is a problem as 6 weeks before Monaco (3 GP's) its normally Easter Sunday.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 21:56 (Ref:575949)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Monaco is always on Epiphany. Hence, the calendar as it falls with two week intervals gives us a race on Easter. I recall several years ago, (99 0r 2000) Imola was on Easter sunday and there was less impact upon the attedance than had been expected. Therefore, the diminished crowds this year are due to other factors.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 06:16 (Ref:576138)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
That's not exactly a problem of religion; they were just on holiday, 'cos' also april 21st and 25th are off in Italy and there was the chance for a good combination.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 06:31 (Ref:576151)   #11
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even the NASCAR boys how have 36 races a year took this psst weekend off! Next year Imola may not even be on the calander, so we will not have to worry about this again. Why not give an extra week between the Brazilian GP and the first European GP? It would give the constrcuters a bit more time to get things in order. Plus it would push the Canadian GP back a week, so it won't clash with the 24Hours of Le Mans.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 06:52 (Ref:576162)   #12
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR actually has 39 race days a year,including 2 non-championship and mid-week heats at Daytona!
Here in the UK easter is traditionally the biggest weekend for racing.I remember one year going to Oulton Park on Thursday & Friday,Thruxton on Saturday,Brands on Sunday & Thruxton on Monday! However,this year there was no race on Good Friday,I think for the first time since 1965.
I doubt that people have become more religious.More likely factors involved are high prices,boring F1,cold weather? crowd seemed to be wearing anaraks in Italy!,better TV coverage,etc.