Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Aug 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2525620)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Insurance for non UK resident?

Any tips on getting a non UK resident listed as the main driver of a car without incurring a huge surcharge? She is currently living in Copenhagen but is over every few weekends. Bought a little Seicento for her yesterday but the insurance is a mare. I really want to get her listed as the main driver so she can start earning NCB before she comes here permantly hopefully around Christmas. Other reason os - should it all go wrong and she has a ding - I'll not have to declare it on my own policy...

ANy suggestions?
Old 21 Aug 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2525624)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You may find that if she has an existing policy then any NCB may be transferable.

When I moved to Ireland the insurance company was happy to give me 5yrs NCB when I could produce a letter from my employer saying I'd been on the company insurance scheme and hadn't had a claim.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2525628)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
She hasn't driven (apart from twenty minutes in the rental car on our recent holiday) in 15 years since she returned from a year in the States. So we know we'll be starting with zero NCD either way - a) she has no NCD to bring b) I have a million years NCD but it is tied up in another (commercial vehicle) policy. With that in mind it makes sense I think to list her as the main driver. But then the insurance companies seems to want everyone to be a permanent resident in the UK.

Anyone know if it is possible to do what I want to do without breaking the bank on a car which only cost a grand?
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2525654)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
......... But then the insurance companies seems to want everyone to be a permanent resident in the UK........
do they actually ask that on a proposal form? I don't remember seeing it !
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2525656)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
It's in the terms and conditions... first line in the case of many of those I have seen.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2526212)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Best I could do in the end was to get a policy in my own name and add her as a named driver. She's not covered until she is a permanent resident here which kinda defeats the object of getting the bloody car in the first place. But at least we don't need to change policies when she does come. Went with fully comp as, strangely, it was only a few pennies dearer than 3rd party after I'd added my old man to the policy. Never realised that adding extra drivers might reduce the cost!
Old 22 Aug 2009, 19:46 (Ref:2526239)   #7
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Best I could do in the end was to get a policy in my own name and add her as a named driver. She's not covered until she is a permanent resident here which kinda defeats the object of getting the bloody car in the first place. But at least we don't need to change policies when she does come. Went with fully comp as, strangely, it was only a few pennies dearer than 3rd party after I'd added my old man to the policy. Never realised that adding extra drivers might reduce the cost!
That one's always puzzled me too. My wife has been learning to drive on and off for years so has been a named driver on my insurance, whenever I get quotes I ask for with and without her as a named driver and even with her driving on L plates all the quotes come out cheaper with her covered than without.

Sadly I think that now she never will take her test so I shall probably remain her taxi driver for a long time.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2526246)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I think it's discrimination! I guess they think female and/or older drivers are safer options (as proven by my little bump on the M25, I am sure!) and, if we are sharing a car with them, they presume they are having a calming effect...

Incidentally, adding my old man and his clean driving record saved fifty quid. Adding K - who has not driven in fifteen years since she left the US (and never in Europe!) - added just four quid to the total! I feel somewhat gutted at how much it cost me to insure such a poxy little car!!
Old 22 Aug 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2526270)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Is the policy with Admiral or Elephant?
Old 22 Aug 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2526274)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
It's with some company called Bell
Old 22 Aug 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2526282)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think they're part of the other two. I use them both alternately for my daughter's insurance, it gets even cheaper with two other named drivers then starts to go up if you stick a third on.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2526287)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Yeah found that when I thought I'd stick my mum on too! Fifty quid discount for adding my old man, adding K cost four quid, adding a third named driver (my mum - identical driving record as the old fella) added 75 quid more to the bill!
Old 22 Aug 2009, 23:43 (Ref:2526333)   #13
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's in the terms and conditions... first line in the case of many of those I have seen.
OK - but how do they know?
Old 23 Aug 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2526337)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
They don't. Until she causes a ten car pile up on the M25. At which point they look into ways of not paying out... they really don't like to pay out.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2526440)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
They don't. Until she causes a ten car pile up on the M25. At which point they look into ways of not paying out... they really don't like to pay out.
Very true of Bell, Admiral, Elephant. My daughter rear ended a BMW on the M1 a few years ago. She was with Admiral and when I came to renew the insurance with Elephant they wanted to know how much the claim was. Upon speaking to the claims man he told me it had been £3.6K, I said the impact wasn't that bad and eventually he sheepishly fessed up that the damage was about £700 and the rest was car hire charges from the 3rd party so I expect they kept ****ing about delaying authorisation.