Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Jun 2004, 04:21 (Ref:992222)   #51
Boss330
Rookie

Boss330 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Oxley highway from Walcha to Gingers Creek in the XR8 OR on the YZF. Nice fast straights to stretch the legs & plenty of windes at the Gingers Creek end, stop at the creek for a hamburger & a beer & blast back. 30 mins from home, how can you go wrong lol
Old 3 Jun 2004, 13:10 (Ref:992702)   #52
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mtpanorama
My outlaws have a unit at surf beach right on the water next to the park. The drive from Bathurst to Batemans is great.

I have found another great drive, by mistake too, took the wrong turn.
It goes goes from Wisemans ferry following the river back towards the putty road. When you come into wisemans ferry you turn right at the police station insted of following the road down to the ferry crossing. The road snakes its way along the side of the river for about 30 or 40k's. It has some great 2nd and 3rd gear corners and some interesting camber changes. It was excellent fun in the mini, which i have now sold.
I once had the utter pleasure of driving from Wisemans Ferry to St.Albans while my WRX was fitted with soft compound competition rally tyres. The grip on the dirt road was truly sensational, and I took a whole two minutes less to do the 11kms than a far better driver in a far better STi, as he was on OEM Bridgestones. We then drove back on the other side of the river, with him leaving first, and all I did was eat his dust cloud all the way back. 140+ on dirt is a buzz!
Old 4 Jun 2004, 10:47 (Ref:993714)   #53
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you had your vents closed.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 6 Jun 2004, 06:58 (Ref:995144)   #54
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've done Wiseman's Ferry Rd from the freeway to the dirt and back again - very very nice. Was with a 1 month old Pulsar SSS, so I didn't go the dirt at all

Don't know why i haven't replied to this but fave roads are Great Ocean Road, Great Alpine Road (which I had the pleasure of driving this year for my Corolla's first real road), Commonara Parkway is a good short blast within Sydney and Wiseman's Ferry Road is good. Plus there's one on the way back from the Hunter Valley but I can't remember the name of it.

I did the old Pacific Hwy back from Wiseman's Ferry Rd at 70km/h (as police were likely) and never touched the brakes.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 07:22 (Ref:995152)   #55
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont worry about the police they enjoy a good race
Old 6 Jun 2004, 09:42 (Ref:995199)   #56
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, elephino. Mentioning the Great Alpine has reminded me of another one. The Snowy Mountains Highway, Adaminaby to Tumut. Just as good the other way, of course. If you like your mountain roads narrower and bumpier (for WRX owners as opposed to R8 owners) Batlow to Corryong via Tumbarumba and Tooma is hard to beat. Right across the rooftop of Australia. I've only ever driven it three times, but I'm not a local. The first time was in the late '70s in a Mitsubishi Lancer rally car. Second time was in a Commodore Acclaim, and the last time in my wife's Vectra. Fantastic drive in all three, and the views are to die for. Just don't upset the local farmers and their dogs herding sheep down the middle of the road.
Old 6 Jun 2004, 11:59 (Ref:995281)   #57
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could get messy...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 6 Jun 2004, 13:30 (Ref:995327)   #58
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was talking to a copper the other day and he was telling me about the time he was in the passenger seat of a VL Turbo HWP car on his way to an accident between Tumut and Tumbarumba. He said that they were doing 180kph (or more) and just as they were approaching the crest of a hill some more info came over the radio. It said that the accident that they were going to was "A car went over a crest and hit a flock of sheep"
They didn't have time to slow down before they were over the very same crest and into the same flock of sheep!
He said that there were sheep flying everywhere! They went off the edge of the road and rolled ever a few times but were unhurt, but there were dead sheep and sheep with legs missing.......
Old 6 Jun 2004, 14:06 (Ref:995337)   #59
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really love the drive from Cardiff to Leominster via the Beacons early am, you can really fly and the scenery is awesome
Old 6 Jun 2004, 14:14 (Ref:995344)   #60
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
SNIP
They didn't have time to slow down before they were over the very same crest and into the same flock of sheep!
He said that there were sheep flying everywhere! They went off the edge of the road and rolled ever a few times but were unhurt, but there were dead sheep and sheep with legs missing.......
A friend of mine with in the Snowy area, driving at 110, and a police car came the other way... just at that moment, a kangaroo jumped across the road, landing exactly at his front bumper. The corpse (which it instantly became!) smashed the radiator onto the timing belts, sending all the valves through the pistons and causing about $15,000 damage. The policeman said "Gee, lucky you hit him, because otherwise I would have"

Another time, he was travelling considerably faster down near Wagga (he denies he was travelling fast, but you decide) when he saw a dark shape on the road ahead. He swerved to avoid what he thought was a person in dark clothes, but one tyre caught a rough edge of the road shoulder and blew out. The car slewed across the road, across a ditch, sheared off a 5" diamter tree trunk and then barrel-rolled across a ploughed field, finishing up more than 100 metres from the road, upright, and totally covered in grey dust. From the photo it just looked like an abandoned car. The roof had strange parallel scratchs across it, which were from the barb-wire fence the car went over upside down at the time! He wasn't hurt, and when he rang the police to report the accident, the policemen asked two questions "Are you hurt?" and "have you been drinking?" When the answer was the negative, the policeman just said goodnight and hung up!PS turns out the "dark shape" was an eagle feeding on some road kill in the middle of the road, and what he saw was the flapping wings...

Last edited by Bigguy; 6 Jun 2004 at 14:16.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 03:12 (Ref:1000365)   #61
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by muggle not
What is the question, Favorite drive OR Fastest drive?

If it is favorite drive their is none better ANYWHERE than Rt1 from Morro Bay, California up the coast to Carmel. Of course, I haven't been everywhere.
I agree, having done this both in a car and on a motorcycle, but I would continue north all the way to oregon on RT1 it is all gorgeous twisty and dangerous the whole way. Robert
Old 11 Jun 2004, 07:24 (Ref:1000453)   #62
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
I was talking to a copper the other day
What did you do?????????
Old 11 Jun 2004, 08:34 (Ref:1000512)   #63
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He said that I had the right to remain silent....
Old 13 May 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2461428)   #64
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Thought I would drag this old one up again. I drove a the road between Oberon and GOulburn the other day, great drive really enjoy able if you like some old roads with some challenging corners then this is the one.
Old 13 May 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2461512)   #65
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good of you to dig this up Amaroo. These days may favourite drive of all is the 3k's in no traffic from work back to home :-) I also love the set of bends from Gosford to kariong - either way they are alot of fun and a short but sweet end to a drive home from Sydney.
Old 14 May 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2462555)   #66
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myn would be the drive from nr Oswestry through to Bala via Llangollen. Those corners are just beautiful and smooth
Old 14 May 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2462623)   #67
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The Great Ocean Road - in fact the entire journey from Sydney along the coast to Adelaide - is probably tops. The Hana Road in Hawaii is up there and I guess The Pacific Coast Highway is worthy of a mention in third. The most memorable though were probably the Dempster Highway in the Yukon and the Gibb River Road in WA. Most scary? The back road through the mountains from Monaco to Nice...
Old 16 May 2009, 07:27 (Ref:2463283)   #68
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Greenhill Road- Whether you're heading into or out of the city it's a fun road. As long as you don't get stuck behind some **** doing 35km/h.

That and the run from Lobethal to Tea Tree Gully, via Chain of Ponds Road. THAT is fun.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 17 May 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2463892)   #69
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wombeyan Caves road leaves Mittagong and goes west towards Oberon (sorta), brakes glow red there. The bit of Prince Highway, NSW South Coast, through Dignams Creek and Victoria Creek, it is 11kms of sheer bliss. Any road in NE Victoria or if you want real adventure try the Barry Way from Jindabyne down to Victoria, it follows the Snowy River for a lot of the trip and it is dirt. They used to run rallies down it but the pansies wouldn't do it today. Brown's Mountain out of Moruya is another top drive, I could go on forever.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 06:40 (Ref:2525359)   #70
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Drove a good road last monday. It was called ummmm oh yeah thats right Mt Panorama Bathurst
Old 21 Aug 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2525690)   #71
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elan valley to Ynyslas Via Devils bridge and Nant-y-moch pure heaven whatever car Im driving
Old 21 Aug 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2525782)   #72
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
The Hana Road in Hawaii is up there
I have done the Hana road all the way round the volcano. The wild, open weather side of the island is an unreal experience, with the cliffs and smashing surf, and then into Hana area with the tight turns.

For me, US 129 in Western Tennessee. Deal's Gap. The Dragon's Tail as it is called. Granite walls and drop offs. Great cycle or auto road.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2552847)   #73
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the best roads I have ever drive were in route 40, wich is 4900km long and goes through the andes, from south to north of Argentina.

http://www.turismo.gov.ar/esp/atra/ruta/cd/index.html

There are places were you go from the desert to the jungle in a couple of Kms just arround a hill... its crazy!
All along you go from sea level to 5000m above it, back and forth, there are salt flats, jungles, mountains, rivers were you can drink the most pure water and some parts without tarmac (gravel or sand) where... well... I drove them in a Jeep Grand Cherokee but I wish I had an Impreza STI at thosemoments...