Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Mar 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2852053)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Or are you missing the point? Should I say because they can.
I too thought wnut was being his usual negative self, but then he did post this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The thought of a GP there is enough to stand the hairs up on the back of your neck. Magnificent dream!
Which might be another negative F1 is rubbish comment, but I chose to see wnut getting excited about something!
Old 23 Mar 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2852128)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
His last comment seemed genuine to me

I never thought i'd see anything 'International' other than touring cars at Bathurst. That video is almost like someone dreaming that an F1 car actually went round there.....

Fantastic!

An F1 Australian GP race might be a bit of a stretch but hey it would be something utterly special.

I would say get the GT1's or LMS round for starters, that would be good.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 03:21 (Ref:2852248)   #28
sime1070
Rookie

sime1070 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Bathurst Grand Prix'

What about IRL - still very unlikely but that would happen before F1... God I wish they would move the F1's to Bathurst though!
Cheers,
Simon
Old 24 Mar 2011, 05:10 (Ref:2852267)   #29
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Magnificent spectacle.
Yes it would be brilliant to have an F1 race on the Mount.
But to do it, or even any other open wheeler class would demand that the circuit was castrated.
Reluctantly may I suggest that Australian Motor Sport is better maintaining the iconic circuit than having an F1 race there.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2852272)   #30
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shall be very interesting if they hold a F1 race at Mt. Panorama but the circut would be extensivly modified so it's "safe" for the F1 cars.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2852512)   #31
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Shall be very interesting if they hold a F1 race at Mt. Panorama but the circut would be extensivly modified so it's "safe" for the F1 cars.
They would have to remove that hill for a start. Just like that ridiculous hill at Spa - Red water or something. That needs a good bulldozing to get it up to spec with a modern F1 circuit.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2852746)   #32
louonline
Racer

louonline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
They would have to remove that hill for a start. Just like that ridiculous hill at Spa - Red water or something. That needs a good bulldozing to get it up to spec with a modern F1 circuit.

You must be joking.
Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2852747)   #33
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by louonline View Post
You must be joking.
He was.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2852751)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You must be joking.

Stand in the corner....
Old 24 Mar 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2852759)   #35
louonline
Racer

Quote:
--------------------------
Jackie Stewart's thoughts many years ago.

Of course this was at a time when racing car drivers wern't hung up on "Safety" the way they seem to be today.

"....Three-time F1 world champion Sir Jackie Stewart, in Bathurst as a guest of Goodyear in 1976 to

evaluate Mount Panorama as an F1 circuit, enthusiastically said that one day the Bathurst circuit could host a world championship Grand Prix.

Racing Car News editor Max Stahl reported Stewart at the time as saying: “This is without doubt one of the finest road circuits in the world.

“There is so much variety and yet so many places where you can have a brief rest and collect your thoughts. It’s a lot of fun and I’d love to have the Tyrell [the Tyrell was the car in which he won his F1 world titles in 1971 and 73] here for a few laps.

“Of course, there’s a lot of work to be done before it meets Formula 1 and FIA standards. But with

modern technology and equipment I’m sure it can be done.”

He pointed out what needed to be done to bring the circuit up to the F1 and FIA standard.

This included proper fencing on both Conrod and Mountain straights, and concrete walls at most places on the inside of the

circuit from Reid Park to the Skyline – which has all been done since.

He also suggested catch fences in front of spectator areas at the top and bottom of the circuit and said the escape road at Murray’s Corner should be straightened up.

There was one section of the

circuit he emphatically pleaded with council not to touch.

“But don’t do anything to those Esses – or Dipper; they’re just

fantastic. I’ve never seen anything like that,” he said.
The Dipper is one of the sections of the circuit expected to cause a problem to the much more modern McLaren F1 car at the promotion.

It should be remembered this was before the addition of Caltex Chase to Mount Panorama, yet,

surprisingly, the notorious humps on Conrod Straight were not

mentioned.

A reasonable crowd from Sydney and locally gathered to watch the action on the circuit, which was closed for two hours, as Stewart did several laps of the circuit in a Ford Falcon XC taking lucky members of the media – including this scribe – with him.

Leading Australian drivers Kevin Bartlett and Max Stewart also gave very fast demonstration laps in their Lola Formula 5000s, with Stewart – an Orange car dealer – turning in a 1m12.00 lap and clocking 170mph on Conrod Straight.

Following the on-track activities, Stewart was special guest at a civic reception hosted by the Mayor Les Wardman and his council. "

Note ...typo error; 1m12:00 should be 2m12:00

http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/ne...l/2108387.aspx
Old 24 Mar 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2852761)   #36
louonline
Racer

Quote:
-----------------------------------
Mr. Button's thoughts.

Seems he loves the thrill of the challenge of the Mount.

"...While Button’s competitive streak and immense talent showed yesterday, so too did his passion for motor sport. The former Formula 1 world champion experienced the same thrill that so many others have at Mount Panorama.
“That was just phenomenal, that was such a rush for me,” he said.
“Because it has some blind corners it takes a bit of getting used to but that is part of the rush – not knowing what is over the next
hill.
“Up the top there is nothing like it.
“I have driven most circuits in my career, it is just a pity I haven’t got more laps in my car because from about turn four onwards, if you get more confidence in the track, it will be flat the whole way through until you head back downhill.
“There is only one other circuit I have driven like this and that is Macau.
“People always used to talk about it, when we were in karting and lower formulas, going to Macau it is a great circuit up in the hills and it is very similar here, if not better. “The camber changes down the hill is a great experience and something I haven’t driven for many, many years, a circuit like this, I suppose Monaco comes the closest.”

http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/ne...px?storypage=2
Old 24 Mar 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2852794)   #37
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
These are just random roads that are being praised..... funnily enough we don't see this praise heaped on Mr Tilke's somewhat expensive creations.
Indeed the man himself plays at the "Ring".
Old 24 Mar 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2852809)   #38
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He also suggested catch fences in front of spectator areas at the top and bottom of the circuit
hehe, that stuff was lethal - stabbing drivers in the face with metal poles
Old 25 Mar 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2852928)   #39
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Well i've had this strange thought of making F1 "more road relevant" and perhaps using a few more street tracks and seeing what they can do as far as everyday road safety goes. Alot could be learnt imo.

If a track can handle an F1 car slamming in to its barriers (with perhaps new kinds of absorbtion?) then it could seriously help prevent injuries in road accidents.

It's just a theory

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2011, 02:18 (Ref:2853823)   #40
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wnut - not really it was actually designed to be a race track (disguised as a 'scenic drive). NB in the article with Jackie Stewart's comments the reference to no mention of the humps on Conrod Straight is made because cars routinely became airborne over those, with several incidents including Bevan Gibson's fatal crash there.

There have been GT1 cars race at the 24hr races a few years back, but the track over the top is really too narrow for F1 in places.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 03:11 (Ref:2856175)   #41
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
prepare to be captivated for the next 1m48s: jenson's on-board lap.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/videos/87...jenson-button/
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:27 (Ref:2856258)   #42
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow. The only tiny hint of the car not being planted was entering Forrest's Elbow (I think) where there was the tiniest tyre squeal as the track turned in and dropped away.

F1 at Bathurst? It'll never happen, but if it did it would be bloody epic.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 09:10 (Ref:2856272)   #43
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Button reckoned that he could get the lap times down to around the 1:40 mark given enough time.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2856797)   #44
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never mind F1 at Bathurst (which would entail the ruination of a truly great racetrack) - how about V8 Supercars on the Brands Hatch GP circuit?