Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 25 Nov 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1774824)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racing driver autobiographies.

I'm interested in getting a few autobiographies by racing drivers. I have two of the "essential" ones, by Zanardi and McCarthy. What other ones hould I look out for?
Old 25 Nov 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1774828)   #2
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
might i recomend Ronnie Peterson~SuperSwede. Gives a fantistic insight of Karting and racing in the junior formulas in the 60's and 70's before his time in F1. good photos too.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1774924)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just done the Lauda autobio (To Hell And Back), I rather enjoyed it. Didn't take long to read, so it must have been good!
Old 25 Nov 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1774947)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Lauda has another one - "Meine Story" - which is better for his career pre-77.

Best of them is Innes Ireland's "All Arms And Elbows". Mark Donohue's "The Unfair Advantage" is also up there and the two Mike Hawthorn ones, which were reprinted in about 1988, are definite must reads.

Stirling Moss is well covered - "My Cars My Career" probably the best, but you can get different aspects in "Alf Francis - Racing Mechanic" and "Managing A Legend" by Ken Gregory.

And Graham Hill's two are worth a look out for.

Others will doubtless come to mind in due course...
Old 25 Nov 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1774950)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was going to get Meine Story, but was unsure if it was any different.

But seing as you recommend it, I'll hunt it down!

I have loads of autobio's, I just cannot remember any of them....apart from ones that have been mentioned here.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1775099)   #6
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Meine Story is the American title for "For The Record". I think. If in doubt get the latter.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1775125)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agree with Ensign's post#4, although I have yet to get my hands on 'The Unfair Advantage'. I also really enjoyed Derek Bell's 'My Racing Life' and Paul Frere's 'My Life full of Cars', which includes his racing exploits, is a good read.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1775379)   #8
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a good read

Get hole of Dale Earnheart Juniors if you can its a good read, found it in a reduction book shop a year or 2 ago, brilliant read into the insights of what has happened to the lad!
Old 26 Nov 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1775382)   #9
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The film "3" is a goodun too, tator2001uk. about Dale snr.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1775413)   #10
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

thanks, might look for that, any bargains anyone know off anywhere??? iv started a post for us all to help with the xmas prezzies!
Old 27 Nov 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1775749)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can I second the Donohue "Unfair Advantage" book, it is very good, as much about the cars as the man himself, in fact Donohue is very modest as to his efforts.

Although not strictly an autobiography, "Mon Ami Mate" about Collins and Hawthorn is well worth its substantial cover price.

Editted to add: even further into leftfield, look out a copy of Tom Wolfe's "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby" which has biographies of Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth (the legendary hot rodder) and Junior Johnson the moonshiner turned NASCAR hero.

Last edited by Truckosaurus; 27 Nov 2006 at 09:50.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1776011)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Is the Earnhardt Jr book a biography or autobiography? What is it called?
Old 27 Nov 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1776012)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Can I second the Donohue "Unfair Advantage" book, it is very good, as much about the cars as the man himself, in fact Donohue is very modest as to his efforts.
Very modest indeed. When reading it I was thinking "how on earth did this chap ever win anything? He's a totally lousy driver..."

Incidentally I had the same feeling reading Phil Hill's. Both seem to dwell more on failures than their considerable successes.