Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Apr 2018, 05:05 (Ref:3816099)   #301
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
SRO doesn't even consider them a factory. The engines are built by APP in The Netherlands, anyways, and it does happen to be a fact that 1) Callaway carried over the LS9 from the "Mk.II" C6, and 2) the LS9 has been discontinued. They did find a spare block locally when they needed one in Texas but the point is their engine builder isn't building those motors anymore so they want to keep their stock in Germany where their main competition is.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3816214)   #302
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
SRO doesn't even consider them a factory. The engines are built by APP in The Netherlands, anyways, and it does happen to be a fact that 1) Callaway carried over the LS9 from the "Mk.II" C6, and 2) the LS9 has been discontinued. They did find a spare block locally when they needed one in Texas but the point is their engine builder isn't building those motors anymore so they want to keep their stock in Germany where their main competition is.
Blah blah blah... These are just continued excuses from Callaway. These problems are 100% caused by Callaway themselves. Callaway could have had a little foresight and been proactive before taking on something they KNEW they were not capable of handling. If we want a real Corvette GT3 program in North America, we just need to hope that GM does what Lamborghini did to Reiter when the mid engine C8 comes out
Old 17 Apr 2018, 20:59 (Ref:3816241)   #303
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the reality. Callaway should have had a fully dressed motor in the trailer ready to go. They obviously did not and honestly, if I was a renter, I would have left the track and been done with the season. Thus, I obviously have dealt with renters that think the same, which is why they are sitting idle. If you went on facebook, you would have seen the irony where LG built the motor they used on Sunday.

Honestly, why didn't they choose an LS3 and have Kaetech build it? The company builds a boatload of LS motors and are known to make a great product.

I still wonder if all of that hoopla about GM banning any Callaway Vette running in the US was actually true........
Old 17 Apr 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3816248)   #304
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, PWC just isn’t going to upload their races on YouTube or even MTOD this year then... not even GTS or TC.

Way to ruin your platform
Old 18 Apr 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3816303)   #305
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Just look at all those Katech powered SaReNi Camaros sold and racing in America, after all.

I find it hard to fault APP when Callaway has won as many championships as they have with their engines. APP builds a bunch of LS engines for multiple categories as well.

If you're going to wait for GM to run a customer GT3 program you're going to be waiting until the end of the category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
if I was a renter, I would have left the track and been done with the season.
If they had a renter, sure, as is it's pretty much a vanity project in a series they're racing against 4 or 5 cars in front of an audience not that much bigger. In pure economic terms I don't think there's any pay off running a factory promo program in PWC this year, especially when you look at how massive GT Masters is right now.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3816417)   #306
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Just look at all those Katech powered SaReNi Camaros sold and racing in America, after all.

I find it hard to fault APP when Callaway has won as many championships as they have with their engines. APP builds a bunch of LS engines for multiple categories as well.

If you're going to wait for GM to run a customer GT3 program you're going to be waiting until the end of the category.

If they had a renter, sure, as is it's pretty much a vanity project in a series they're racing against 4 or 5 cars in front of an audience not that much bigger. In pure economic terms I don't think there's any pay off running a factory promo program in PWC this year, especially when you look at how massive GT Masters is right now.
Callway still wants to expand their customer base to North America...this is not how to do it
Old 20 Apr 2018, 23:00 (Ref:3816714)   #307
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The entry list for VIR is here:

http://files.world-challenge.com/eve...-EntryList.pdf

The only notable absentee is the Callaway Corvette, which, as previously reported, is taking a hiatus for a few months! A total of 98 cars are entered so far, compared with the final 103 at CoTA, after the withdrawal of the #45 DXDT Lambo!

Last edited by cbbrit; 20 Apr 2018 at 23:14.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3817533)   #308
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some big news for PWC on the media side:

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...ast-pwc-races/
Old 26 Apr 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3817556)   #309
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...tyler-tadevic/
Pretty cool story. A good reminder to never give up.
Old 16 May 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3822907)   #310
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Takuya Shirasaka / Naoto Takeda (racing with a KCMG Audi in Blancpain Asia) apperently will race with a Turner BMW at the Utah event in August. A test is planned in May at Watkins Glen.
http://www.takuya-shirasaka.net/news...html#r20180502
Old 17 May 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3823017)   #311
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorritVD View Post
Takuya Shirasaka / Naoto Takeda (racing with a KCMG Audi in Blancpain Asia) apperently will race with a Turner BMW at the Utah event in August. A test is planned in May at Watkins Glen.
http://www.takuya-shirasaka.net/news...html#r20180502
Wow, good find!
Old 19 May 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3823403)   #312
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...-gt-gts-races/
The good news here is that the combined races could be really awesome with near 40 cars. The bad news is that with such a big field and only two races it will be very easy for both races to be ruined by excessive yellows.

The price for tickets for this event has risen dramatically over the last couple of years with the addition of INDYCAR (which I have zero interest in.) + increased prices for all events at Road America presumably to help pay for all the recent facility upgrades. (some of which are ruining the character of the track.) I've already paid this years $140 ticket + $65 camping wristband + $40 tent camp site fee (and that's advanced pricing.)
and I'm greatly looking forward to our annual camping weekend at my favorite place on earth, but it really stings to have to pay such a high cost to see just two 50 minute races. Adding up the price for all four adult family members planning on attending, we've already spent $820 just on tickets. Additionally there is travel costs, off site campground costs for the night before the track opens, and a not insignificant double bratwurst budget!

I love Road America and I really enjoy World Challenge, but next year I think we'll have to consider all our options before ordering our tickets. Traveling a farther distance to attend a PWC stand alone event may be a more economical and enjoyable option in the future.

Old 25 May 2018, 23:34 (Ref:3824663)   #313
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
#BREAKINGNEWS: SRO Motorsports Group becomes majority shareholder in WC Vision LLC
Old 25 May 2018, 23:46 (Ref:3824666)   #314
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
#BREAKINGNEWS: SRO Motorsports Group becomes majority shareholder in WC Vision LLC
http://world-challenge.com/latest/se...wc-vision-llc/
Interesting development. I wonder what changes are in store.
Old 26 May 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3824693)   #315
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post

I imagine there will be some folks on here not happy with this, but you can’t argue with the SRO’s recent track record...
Old 26 May 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3824799)   #316
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I'm not surprised. Do wonder what sort of impact it will have I honestly haven't been following SRO's activities close enough to completely understand their business model.
Old 28 May 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3825332)   #317
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I'm not surprised. Do wonder what sort of impact it will have I honestly haven't been following SRO's activities close enough to completely understand their business model.

This will likely signal move towards standard SRO rules-

1hr races
Pit stop
2 drivers
Etc
Etc

So essentially sprint X will become the format of choice I reckon

They will likely also put a lot in to rebuilding the GT3 numbers, as well as bringing the GT4 races in line with Euro GT4 rulesets

Honestly I see this as a well timed move for the series, they have struggled this season for numbers in GT3 and with IMSA looking so strong at the moment they need strength to offer a real alternative
Old 31 May 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3825921)   #318
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
This will likely signal move towards standard SRO rules-

1hr races
Pit stop
2 drivers
Etc
Etc

So essentially sprint X will become the format of choice I reckon

They will likely also put a lot in to rebuilding the GT3 numbers, as well as bringing the GT4 races in line with Euro GT4 rulesets

Honestly I see this as a well timed move for the series, they have struggled this season for numbers in GT3 and with IMSA looking so strong at the moment they need strength to offer a real alternative
A few other things.
- Start with regional championships - This is because they know that the US is huge and they can copy with what they do in Europe. Expect to see a NE, SE, Central and West Coast Series'.

- Then the prize money will go up as compared to the peanuts you get in the US.

- Elimination of TCR/TC and TCA - Comes at no loss because the hard core fans in PWC don't follow those classes anyway (case in point, no info about them at Lime Rock).

- 30 to 40 car fields for GT3 and GT4 - SRO has a track record of this and it will happen in the US too.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 01:09 (Ref:3825946)   #319
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A few other things.
- Start with regional championships - This is because they know that the US is huge and they can copy with what they do in Europe. Expect to see a NE, SE, Central and West Coast Series'.

- Then the prize money will go up as compared to the peanuts you get in the US.

- Elimination of TCR/TC and TCA - Comes at no loss because the hard core fans in PWC don't follow those classes anyway (case in point, no info about them at Lime Rock).

- 30 to 40 car fields for GT3 and GT4 - SRO has a track record of this and it will happen in the US too.
How are they going to manage multiple regional series when one national series doesn't work well? And what tracks? I don't think there's enough to warrant a NE series with Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, the Jersey track was terrible. Then what do you add, more club tracks or start making rovals?

SE is even tougher with the tracks you really want owned or controlled by your competition. They won't be able to run Daytona, Sebring or Road Atlanta so you're left with VIR, that "track" outside of New Orleans or the club circuit here outside of Atlanta or a few others.

It just seems like a tall ask to get regional series in a country that just doesn't care about sportscars. And in a series that's already had trouble, somehow SRO is going to magically find money, drivers and tracks? And it seems more than a few of the old PWC TC teams have little interest in GT4 unless they can find a fully funded driver. And a few have seemed to bemoan the loss of the shop built cars that used to be the backbone of WC. To me that was a lot of the series, guys like Davis and his million dollar Mustang in GT against the Caddies and Audis and all the smaller teams building their own cars. Sadly I do concede that day has gone not likely to return any time soon.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3826844)   #320
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
How are they going to manage multiple regional series when one national series doesn't work well? And what tracks? I don't think there's enough to warrant a NE series with Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, the Jersey track was terrible. Then what do you add, more club tracks or start making rovals?

SE is even tougher with the tracks you really want owned or controlled by your competition. They won't be able to run Daytona, Sebring or Road Atlanta so you're left with VIR, that "track" outside of New Orleans or the club circuit here outside of Atlanta or a few others.

It just seems like a tall ask to get regional series in a country that just doesn't care about sportscars. And in a series that's already had trouble, somehow SRO is going to magically find money, drivers and tracks? And it seems more than a few of the old PWC TC teams have little interest in GT4 unless they can find a fully funded driver. And a few have seemed to bemoan the loss of the shop built cars that used to be the backbone of WC. To me that was a lot of the series, guys like Davis and his million dollar Mustang in GT against the Caddies and Audis and all the smaller teams building their own cars. Sadly I do concede that day has gone not likely to return any time soon.

I find it hard to believe that they can't run GT3 and GT4 at every track that SCCA Club or NASA runs at. This is a regional series where you learn the SRO way of racing then try out your hand at the big time when they come to town. It becomes a ladder series like they do in Europe. I know that NJMP might not be what you'd want to see for the big time pro GT3 and GT4 teams at but it's more than suffice for the regional series. Plus some of the tracks that are not on the IMSA or PWC calendar is where most teams test and thus, if they test there, those tracks must be able to handle the speed that GT3 and GT4 cars run at today.

Forget about shop built cars. Shops are not smart enough any more and it doesn't work in the overall plan for the SRO anyway. As we all know, GT3 and GT4 are for major manufacturers that build lots of cars, not the one off shops. Plus it's impossible to BoP those cars because if someone builds a better Camaro or Porsche than the factory and you let them get away with it, the sponsorship money goes away. Nobody wants that.

As for TC, TCR and TCA, they are just a nuisance and the SRO needs to tell them to take a hike or just upgrade to GT3 or GT4. We don't need those low buck teams just lowering the bar of professionalism in the paddock. They can run Trans-Am if they want to.

Plus, isn't PWC running a race at a NASCAR track? That's not supposed to happen according to the intranets.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3826869)   #321
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that they can't run GT3 and GT4 at every track that SCCA Club or NASA runs at. This is a regional series where you learn the SRO way of racing then try out your hand at the big time when they come to town. It becomes a ladder series like they do in Europe. I know that NJMP might not be what you'd want to see for the big time pro GT3 and GT4 teams at but it's more than suffice for the regional series. Plus some of the tracks that are not on the IMSA or PWC calendar is where most teams test and thus, if they test there, those tracks must be able to handle the speed that GT3 and GT4 cars run at today.

Forget about shop built cars. Shops are not smart enough any more and it doesn't work in the overall plan for the SRO anyway. As we all know, GT3 and GT4 are for major manufacturers that build lots of cars, not the one off shops. Plus it's impossible to BoP those cars because if someone builds a better Camaro or Porsche than the factory and you let them get away with it, the sponsorship money goes away. Nobody wants that.

As for TC, TCR and TCA, they are just a nuisance and the SRO needs to tell them to take a hike or just upgrade to GT3 or GT4. We don't need those low buck teams just lowering the bar of professionalism in the paddock. They can run Trans-Am if they want to.

Plus, isn't PWC running a race at a NASCAR track? That's not supposed to happen according to the intranets.
First, have you seen the prices of GT3 and even GT4 cars? WAY above what most SCCA and NASA guys are running. The reason why Mazda runs the ads about more racing racing every day is because they are half the field at some events. There aren't many newer cars and I've looked at the entry lists for both SCCA and NASA this season. There are a lot of TA based cars, and touring cars mixed with lots of MX-5s and BMWs. Not exactly a group looking to drop 250k on their car, never mind new costs of GT3s. And many of the tracks they test at are great for that, testing. They are terrible club circuits not built for wheel to wheel action. No one wants to actually race at Atlanta Motorsports (they call themselves a motorsports country club) or Roebling Road (great camera shots but not so great for racing) in high power GT cars.

Shop built cars are what powers most of the SCCA non-MX-5 cup based cars. There's a rule book, show us your car and we'll find you a class to race and rules you have to follow. You're also assuming there's sponsorship opportunities out for this many cars, where? GTD/CTSCC and WC teams can't find sponsors for GT3 and GT4 as it is, now we're adding more regional series with the same cars, same running costs; possible decrease in travel but still have the hotel and food bills whether you're 4 hours or 12 hours away. You're not getting 5 buddies together to wrench on a GT4, and you surely aren't buying parts anywhere but the dealer counter anymore. Those teams and drivers running for fun in both series aren't going to step up because SRO says you have to, they'll just stop racing or go to the local dirt track

And where do you get the idea the TCR teams and cars are somehow lower than GT4? Most of the cars are damn near identical in pricing and factory support so where's the lower professionalism? And most of the US based teams, although I find it in poor taste for an 'affordable' option, have factory backing in some way. Pull the factory cash and I think you'll lose that entire class. Or is it just front wheel drive bothers you but you can't be man enough to actually say it and hide behind blatantly bs claims about teams.

Finally PWC is running at one ISC owned track and they have been running on a long term deal as Watkins Glen is NOT supported by ISC as much as the others in the fold. In fact they, the actual track through the gate without ISC contribution, have paid to run Indy cars and have done all of the Indy promotion work because they are damn close to broke every year. Daytona?? That's not even a starter. We've seen how well the WC guys build a roval so let's not pretend any of the other tracks are even considered. The IMSA managed tracks/lease, Road Atlanta does not have that cash flow at all, they are booked most every weekend and often during the week as well. Sebring is not always available, but testing does happen a great so debatable but it seems IMSA holds the lease there.

And yes, I read a great deal about racing and why things happen the way they do. Your ideas that somehow the European model of regional GT series taking hold in the US just aren't based in reality. There's not even close to the same number of series here running GT cars, 2 IMSA and PWC, as Europe, Blancpain GT, British GT, multiple GT4 series, GT Open, ADAC GT Masters and I'm sure I'm missing a few and then the touring car series (i counted 10 in Europe) as PWC and CTSCC are using similar cars. And the big 2 series, to the average person Indy and NASCAR have a had enough time finding cash so what scraps do you think will fuel a GT revolution through the Americas without Sebring and Daytona as their 12/24 hour races? COTA and McNeil family racing track both have noise curfews so there's limited running at both and a broken up Creventic 24 hour race at COTA. I don't know the rules for Road America and think a true enduro there would sell like candy to kids but there's been some rumbling and anger toward the owners' new event pricing and policies. Listening to most of the teams in IMSA those 2 events are a big draw, yes a huge cost but a big draw for their cash rich owners/drivers.

I'd love it if there was another big camping event, and more GT cars at Road Atlanta but I just can't see it there and the best weekends of the year are taken. I love the track but May-September are right out, not happening unless you HATE your fans. That might be why they run the Drift events in June and August. And just before and just after that time frame are their two big events of the year so there has to be separation.

The best PWC, and on the fence sprint vs enduro GT3 teams, can hope for is a consistent rulebook and penalties with better publicity. But at the rate they're going the tape delayed broadcast on channel 2000 on the specialty sports networks aren't going to sell it to sponsors. Great, they've added satellite radio coverage except last race wasn't on the channel they claimed and I didn't find it. And I wanted to listen, not catching a new fan that way. Get that going, build a good response and you have the ear of a BIG company with big hands in the motorsports pie with Liberty Media. Show you aren't worth it and they'll drop ya like old fish.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3826998)   #322
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Mazda runs the ads about more racing racing every day is because they are half the field at some events. There aren't many newer cars.
Speaking of which, I wonder why Toyota / Scion didn't replicate Mazda's program with the GT 86.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3827029)   #323
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Speaking of which, I wonder why Toyota / Scion didn't replicate Mazda's program with the GT 86.
I was surpised I haven't seen many Scion or Subaru racing in SCCA or NASA events. I've seen a few on entry lists but fewer than I would have expected but then it is one of the newer cars with the computer systems that may not lend itself to homebuilts and the bigger names in racing have aftermarket parts networks.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jun 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3827254)   #324
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Racer has an article out by Richard S. James and Marshall Pruett titled "Insight: SRO and the future of Pirelli World Challenge." The quick answer to what impact SRO becoming the majority owner will have on PWC is apparently "very little."
Old 7 Jun 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3827441)   #325
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
We believe that [...] we will be able to propose a platform that motivates American teams and drivers to join or return to GT3

The Pirelli World Challenge is a series that has a substantial number of followers who need to be considered
Those statements are bold.