Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2007, 19:34 (Ref:2040169)   #26
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I bet if one were to sit down with Alonso over a beer and ask him what all the fuss has been over this season, for the most part he would look surprised and say something like " "the media are going to say whatever they want aren't they" and I never meant that! I meant this...
That's providing he leaves McLaren, because they've banned the drivers from drinking

I think the media have twisted what FA has said to high heaven and back. It's only the same as what the Spanish media have done with Lewis
Old 14 Oct 2007, 19:55 (Ref:2040190)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Since when have McLaren banned their drivers from drinking?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 19:57 (Ref:2040195)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Didn't you see Kimi!
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:02 (Ref:2040199)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Sorry I am not with you Knowlesy?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:10 (Ref:2040206)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aimed at jab and the "drinking ban" comment.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:19 (Ref:2040222)   #31
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Since when have McLaren banned their drivers from drinking?
Since before Australia this year - ironic considering one of their biggest sponsors is a alcoholic bevarage producer

Obviously they must have wanted to have implimented it before then but a certain flamoyant Finn was in the way...
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:20 (Ref:2040224)   #32
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Can you provide a link to that story please?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:20 (Ref:2040225)   #33
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Ah, I think I remember that now.

However, I doubt it is a rule that encompasses the drivers whole lives. Maybe they just can't drink during race weekends?

In any case it is not exactly relevant at this stage!
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:22 (Ref:2040230)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Right I doubt any of them drink during a race weekend.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2040240)   #35
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
It's almost beyond belief how the media salivate over every quote offered by Hamilton, and frankly Alonso is portrayed as the anti-Christ by some sections.
The media, yes, but not really the general public. People are excited about the idea of a British champion, but that's not just F1, that's in any sport. I don't think the general public can be blamed for Alonso being vilified; motorsport fans know enough to know that it's not that straightforward, and the average joe who's just watching F1 for a British winner probably doesn't care enough to think about Alonso.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Oct 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2040297)   #36
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Can you provide a link to that story please?
Here you go

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...from-drinking/
Old 14 Oct 2007, 21:23 (Ref:2040305)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Context: gpupdate.net reporting a story in The Mirror.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 21:45 (Ref:2040321)   #38
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Ah. Good point

I hadn't noticed The Mirror...
Old 14 Oct 2007, 22:12 (Ref:2040347)   #39
mattsmum
Rookie

mattsmum has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Frankly i`m quite upset by the whole thing, it has all but ruined the majority of the years racing.
Mclaren were i thought, beyond reproach, Ron Dennis has (had?) more integrity etc etc
Fernando Alonso was fantastic over the last couple of years, almost like Schumacher in his confidence and ability yet he seemed more like a normal bloke, as opposed to the Schumacher "inhuman" machine.

As a driver i really liked Alonso but now i`m not sure, he has been dealt a blow and he might not have had the best start to the season which Mclaren could have helped with, the guy seems to have felt pushed out.
However this is no excuse for turning on the team and threatening (allegedly) to tell etc etc.

I think he will have to leave Mclaren and drive for someone else then we will see a rejuvinated Fernando,* i think by this time next year it will be behind him and he will be a worthy cham....
We shall see but i think he might kick the hell out of it in Brazil ......
11th hour
* Ferdnando Back to Renault next year? oh Please lord, please
Old 14 Oct 2007, 22:23 (Ref:2040351)   #40
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its in everyones best interest he is gone from Mclaren at the end of the year really, it's certain.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 22:35 (Ref:2040356)   #41
mattsmum
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Its in everyones best interest he is gone from Mclaren at the end of the year really, it's certain.
yeah, you could quite easily argue that it`s in the sports best interest but to where?
A swop with Nico Rosberg, sounds silly doesn`t it?
Dump Fisico and back to Reno then? possible
Toyota in place of Ralf?
Honda in place of R.......has RB he got a contract for 2008?
To BMW? or Red Bull?
any idea`s?
then who would replace him?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2040361)   #42
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Reno a new team?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 22:54 (Ref:2040365)   #43
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Renault is really the obvious choice as to who he would go to, if he did in fact leave McLaren. In reality there are only a few possible routes for him to take; Renault, Toyota, or Williams. We all know how eager Flavio is t have him back. I think in the other thread Toyota was said to have offered Alonso a large sum to race for them. Williams isn't likely but there is that seat open for next season...

As far as Alonso goes, despite his off-track demeanor, I'm really only dissappointed that he hasn't gotten his head down and put together a string of stunning drives that we all know he's capable of, to win the championship. If anything he should be cementing his abilities as a double world champion through his driving, not defending his ability with words.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 22:57 (Ref:2040367)   #44
mattsmum
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitstop
Is Reno a new team?
................my my we are "on it" tonight are we not.... t terribly sorry chaps, i did of course mean Renault thats the team in light blue, yellow and white with a touch of black, i think you might know them by the manager Flavio Briatore or maybe Mild Seven, one of their sponsors.
i`m so sorry i just shortened their name because it was easier for me. I must try a little more.
O.k.?
Thanks, toodle pip.
Edit: My English is not as goodas it could be because it`s not my first language.

Last edited by mattsmum; 14 Oct 2007 at 22:59.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 23:18 (Ref:2040372)   #45
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
Thank you..
Old 15 Oct 2007, 00:50 (Ref:2040402)   #46
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got no doubt that Alonso is fully peeved at McLaren - and to some extent I understand his feelings.

Being penalised so severely at Hungary after Hamilton initiated the conflict on track, and then seeing Lewis romp to the win (Hamilton pulled 5 points on Alonso at that race - what is the gap going into the last round?) must still grate...

He was penalised by the FIA for what he felt was an intra-team dispute. Hamilton was certainly not blame-less and escaped with no penalty and a comfortable race win.

To compound it all, Lewis was more than happy to profess to all and sundry that he is the innocent victim and he's done nothing wrong, he's just a poor little boy from Stevenage, while Alonso is the big bad Spanish wolf, despite definitely playing a role...

It is also quite clear that Ron and the Hamilton family have a special bond - I guess that's natural after you spend so much money on getting someone to Formula One. I don't know how that bond manifests itself within the team - and I daresay no one on 10 Tenths knows either...

Fernando knows, and is obviously unhappy with it.

Add to all of that the British media coverage and the fact that it is a British team and British driver and I fully comprehend (what we believe are) his thoughts...

I think it would be a phenomenon for Hamilton to win his maiden world championship next Sunday, but I really want Fernando to confirm his fighting spirit by coming from behind against all odds to clinch his third straight title...

Last edited by mac; 15 Oct 2007 at 00:53.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 07:09 (Ref:2040464)   #47
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmum
yeah, you could quite easily argue that it`s in the sports best interest but to where?
Toyota in place of Ralf?
To BMW? or Red Bull?
any idea`s?
In autosport magazine this week they linked a sawp with Heiki....I think that's quite a chance of happening unless other sources state otherwise.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 07:57 (Ref:2040484)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
In autosport magazine this week they linked a sawp with Heiki....I think that's quite a chance of happening unless other sources state otherwise.
Many other sources have suggested:

1.Button
2.Vettel
3.Villeneuve
4.Verstappen

And the odd one out is?
Old 15 Oct 2007, 08:52 (Ref:2040516)   #49
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmum
Toyota in place of Ralf?
To BMW? or Red Bull?
any idea`s?
Not wishing to stifle the discussion here, but we do have Will Alonso return to Renault in 2008? and 2008 Silly Season Thread for discussing Alonso's possible options for a move.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Oct 2007, 09:13 (Ref:2040533)   #50
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems Pat Symonds was right in that Alonso is incapable of accepting he can lose and so has increasing briefed a rabid Spanish press with anti McLaren, anti Hamilton, anti FIA, anti everyone else but himself stories.

I read last week (either Autosport mag or one of the broadsheet websites) that the press interviews he gives to the English speaking media are very different to that given to the Spanish speaking one.

Seems he requires either a journeyman team mate or clear #1 status inside the team, neither of which was he ever going to get at McLaren and both he and his management team should have known this prior to signing contracts in 2005.

As to his mind, paranoid is the word I would use.