Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Apr 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2669748)   #26
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
to me looking at a grid of cars i want to see as many original cars as possible, the history of the cars is really important,and i get a buzz from watching old cars with history racing as they were intended, however i think the continuation cars are good for the sport in terms of increasing grid numbers and also giving owners the chance of owning a car that he wouldnt otherwise be able to. lets face it guys, its not like they are made in someones garden shed, the t70 and gt40 are built to the exact same spec as the original cars to the rivet, and are incredibly expensive works of art. its not like someone has bought a kit car off ebay and put it together for 5 grand! (no offence to kit car owners, theyre great cars in their own right)
Old 10 Apr 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2669857)   #27
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Are the new copies the same as original?

Can't see it.

They look the same.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2669915)   #28
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't claim to be an expert on old racing cars but there's a parallel- I used to collect old rare books. Some people buy them solely due to the content/subject in the pages of the book and don't give a s*** whether it's a first edition or xerox copy, they just want to read it (dtype kitcar). Some buy because it's a first edition of some small publisher and/or love the smell and feel of the old paper (an original c-type). Some buy because they like nicely re-bound early editions of a rare book done by a quality bookbinder (etype with lightweight conversion). All three will be happy with their purchase so long as they know what they're getting, and all together make up the numbers at a book fair, taking away one will threaten the fair. Also it is pointless to argue which is the "true" enthusiast. But the vendors and organizers of the fair are obligated to accurately describe what it is they are selling, when they do everyone is happy. As JR said, "been here before"!
Old 10 Apr 2010, 10:09 (Ref:2669929)   #29
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there is nothing to hide why do the "continuation" cars have a period date in the programme not the real build date?

I am fairly certain that engineering processes and welding techniques have moved on in the last 40 years. There is a place for these cars, 750MC run the races and in the past copy GT40's and a 917's have appeared. They are not historic cars they only look like historic cars.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 14:34 (Ref:2670093)   #30
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish they would give correct information in the program and especially the result sheet - G** Help me if I misspell a name of a car or the driver let alone not know if the car is a genuine period vehicle.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 01:23 (Ref:2671185)   #31
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I just do not like modern cars racing in historic series, I like the cars but the 750MC run the Kit Car Cup for these new builds.

OK I know a lot of VSCC type cars are new builds but they are usually made from old bits!
I only ask cos I was given a go in this. Do you think I should have said no thanks it not the real thing !! Pic from Pete Austin.
Attached Thumbnails
Exp21574 - Image by Pete Austin (2).jpg  
Old 12 Apr 2010, 07:11 (Ref:2671239)   #32
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
I only ask cos I was given a go in this. Do you think I should have said no thanks it not the real thing !! Pic from Pete Austin.
Given the opportunity to drive it you have to take it. It is the series that accepts these cars I consider to be "out of order". I am sure if it was entered in a 750MC race meeting you would have also accepted the drive.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2671255)   #33
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Given the opportunity to drive it you have to take it. It is the series that accepts these cars I consider to be "out of order". I am sure if it was entered in a 750MC race meeting you would have also accepted the drive.
The problem there is that half the fun is racing with similar cars. To be honest, if, as a spectator or competitor, you cant tell the difference, whats the problem.

And can we put one thing to bed....the T70 continuation cars, built for Lola, are exact copies, detailed to be correct in a painstaking manner. There are bad, cheaty copies of lots of cars out there, and some great kit cars, but these are not in that category. Its not fair to equate them with kit cars racing in 750MC events. (I've done the Birkett 5 times in my old dog of a GN special, so I've raced with them).

I dont think I have an axe to grind, I have an original car I race in another series. Masters give priority in WSM to real cars, so you cant even argue that copy cars are keeping real cars out of racing.

Surely what we want is full grids and great racing, and I can only see good replicas, properly vetted, helping to achieve that!
Old 12 Apr 2010, 08:08 (Ref:2671258)   #34
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Both those are copy cars?There are various of those T70's ,about three of each of the originals.
If someone gives you a go take it and I see no problem letting them run to make up the numbers but not at the expense of cars with history and they should be shown as copies in entry lists.The origins of cars will be shown on HTPs that are now becoming more difficult to obtain unless cars are correct.It now up to organisers to police races but this will not happen when there is the inevitable reduction in race entries and the lack of spectators needs to be a secondary consideration to those of owners and entrants.
Some of the spectator people who post on here are more interested in blagging a free ticket instead of paying the 20 Quid to get in and then seem to pontificate on proceedings.Entrants should stop giving tickets to people who are not involved with their race team as they have to subsidise these people in long run.
I paid to get in 3 hr race at Snet last year and it was cheapest days racing I had all year.20 Quid to watch AVK show,brilliant.30 ways to take hairpin,All wrong.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 08:16 (Ref:2671262)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
excellent John, Did anyone ever tell AVK there isn't a hairpin at Snett
Old 12 Apr 2010, 08:22 (Ref:2671264)   #36
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There was for AVK.Its that bit I think called Richies when I was a boy.Those stick things on inside make it interesting.All changed since the previouis time I was there and mostly for the better.