Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 8 Aug 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2937335)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
New car revealed.

http://indycar.com/news/show/55-izod...w-era-in-2012/

Old 8 Aug 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2937341)   #2
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole car just looks MASSIVE. Not especially helped by the front wing, which appears to be the size of Indy.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2937378)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These things are gonna be slow too aren't they?
Old 8 Aug 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2937397)   #4
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Wow, I really hate to admit it, but the current Dallara looks a hell of a lot better than that.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 22:24 (Ref:2937437)   #5
captain crunch
Racer

captain crunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I like it, but then I liked the Abruzzi, so read into that what you will. And there's still the matter of the aero kits, so perhaps they might help the aesthetics.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 23:58 (Ref:2937459)   #6
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There won't be any other aero kits will there? Certainly not next year?

Please tell me this car's bodywork is still only in prototype stage, and not final, as it's ******* ugly.

So they haven't listened to a thing the fans have said then. There's still the high engine cover behind the rollhoop/airbox. Totally unnecessary for a turbo engine. Both the front and rear wing are hideous. Putting that massive IZOD logo on the huge sidepod does it no favours at all. IZOD really do have the one of the ****iest corporate colour schemes I've ever seen. I seriously wonder if part of Dallara's brief was to maximise the advertising space on the cars to NASCAR levels of surface area... 'cos I don't see why any designer in their right mind would create that otherwise.

Lola nailed the least offensive way of preventing rear wheels locking:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11002182...osals-for-2012

If Dallara remodified their design to incorporate sleek, minimal sidepods, with the Lola style wheel protection, plus lowered the engine cover, the car would look SO MUCH better.

How hard can this be, seriously? Why can't we just build something loosely resembling the 1990s cars (when AOWR was at its peak) even with the health & safety compliant bumpers if they really must? And then just start to forget about the cluster**** that US open wheel racing became from 1996. How hard can that be, to make an effective, purposeful and plain cool and attractive looking car? I so wish Lola got the contract, but of course they never seriously had a chance.

To me, Lola and Swift's designs are the equivalent of ALMS prototypes to Dallara's Grand-Am DP. IndyCar's been dumbed down for so long in every sense, it's a shame this opportunity for rebirth has blatantly been missed.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 01:43 (Ref:2937483)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well... hmmm... I, uh...
Old 9 Aug 2011, 02:33 (Ref:2937491)   #8
the real Stig
Rookie

the real Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how many laps before the Honda blows up? I heard the design manager is not so brilliant, reject* from Cosworth, reject* from Honda F1 (made redundant twice), something like kids playing T-ball... The design group are dropping like flies due to the irratic manager.
The days of Honda running flawlessly may be over. Ilmor on the other hand will probably continue on their winning ways.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 02:56 (Ref:2937495)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
That thing really has had a severe beating with the ugly stick.

I know that looks aren't everything and apparently it's lighter than the current cars but it really does look like they've gone out of their way to make it look like something out of wacky racers.

Only way from here is up I guess.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 05:41 (Ref:2937512)   #10
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joke.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2937555)   #11
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Randy, you seem willing to listen to what the fans want, so please:

SEND DALLARA BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.

This pig cannot be what we're stuck with for another interminable period of time.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2937614)   #12
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
These things look "styled" rather than designed. Just terrible.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2937642)   #13
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh no..
Old 9 Aug 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2937699)   #14
julia_zie
Rookie

julia_zie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they could have done better
Old 11 Aug 2011, 02:45 (Ref:2938338)   #15
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...e-new-indycar/
Old 11 Aug 2011, 03:22 (Ref:2938342)   #16
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you could design it yourself what would it look like? Submit now.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 05:23 (Ref:2938366)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everyone knows I am totally opposed to the irl, but outside of that, this is one horrifically ugly car. I shouldn't be surprised, this is the irl after all, but this is bad, bad, bad.

Good luck with that.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 06:30 (Ref:2938371)   #18
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Randy, you seem willing to listen to what the fans want, so please:

SEND DALLARA BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.

This pig cannot be what we're stuck with for another interminable period of time.
Add this completely and I mean completely f****** ugly car to the ever growing list of reasons why I stopped watching Indy cars after the Cart split, with TG being at the top of said list.

I bet it is going to be brick too.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2938447)   #19
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
If you could design it yourself what would it look like? Submit now.
Like a modern version of this:
Old 11 Aug 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2938465)   #20
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Toso, Dallara
"Safety was the first priority, cost the second, styling third."
Yeah, and it shows mate.

How come Reynard, Lola, Eagle, Swift and Panoz managed to make beautiful, serious looking cars, when styling wasn't even a hot topic, it was just a by-product of the best performance and safety solutions of the times? Yet the IRL (an ugly name the series doesn't deserve to get away with sweeping under the carpet) know full well how hideous the current car is considered, saw the reception to the Indy prototypes, know the new car is long anticipated and will be subject to intense scrutiny, and still lets Dallara roll out this pig!

And depressingly the faux airbox looks like it's here to stay (see page 69 of the magazine that you can click to look inside on HJJ's link).

It's just depressing all round. Talk of aero kits that no-one even knows when/if they'll happen is not going to get AOWR even close to where it should be, where it should aspire to be.

So now we're stuck with another pig-ugly Dallara, on the whole worse than what we're getting rid of, saying goodbye to true open wheel racing and the awe that goes with watching such bravery, plus it's pretty obvious we won't have anything like this year's car count. I'd love to bury the past and have faith the glory days will return, but I just give up hope.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2938472)   #21
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smells like crapwagon in here.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2938555)   #22
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny do. They even realize what an ugly piece of trash that looks like? The should have done a thousand different things than that. Wheldon said it is lighter I say yeah riight.
Why does dallara do this and fix the nose like that. And those side pods! Bleh! I looks so off balance.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2938556)   #23
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops doubl post
Still ugle car. For.ula truck brasil has better racing a better looking bricks than the "new" dallara poo stick

Last edited by gttouring; 11 Aug 2011 at 16:49. Reason: dubble post trouble
Old 12 Aug 2011, 01:00 (Ref:2938756)   #24
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Like a modern version of this:
I'll second that motion. Hell, why not restart with the 1996 rule book and call the sanctioning body CART, give ownership back to the team owners, etc. etc. etc. Anything is better than what is a series circling the drain like we have now.

Chris
Old 12 Aug 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2938764)   #25
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the problem is largely that Dallara were told to design something vastly different to the current generation of single seater just so it is visually revolutionary and have seemingly given a nod to the 3-6 year olds who were supposedly so excited by the speedracer/deltawing concept.
Thus we have an something that looks like an old clubman sportscar has run up the back of one of the current Dallaras. All that is missing is the passenger seat.