Maycom AR 108 35 83.33%
Alinco 0 0%
Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2945776)   #1226
Simon Taylor

Scanners & Frequencies

Hi All

I'm training as an I/O and have done full events as I/O and even post chief.

I know scanners in the UK are a big talking point among marshals, should we have them, should we not? Spectators might hear a bad incident that sort of stuff.

My personal feeling is so long as Kilo codes are used no problem.

Anyway not my main point of the thread. As an I/O I like to have things in order so I'm collating a list of frequencies for me or my team to use at circuits to keep up to date on incidents not to act on them but merely to keep them informed for safety purposes.

So if anyone has specific frequencies for example

169.337.5 for Mallory. I'd Love to Hear From Them.

Thanks

Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2945788)   #1227
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's quite a few previous threads on this if you'd like to search you'll find a few.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2945803)   #1228
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Lrawlings should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would like that myself same reason although im only a trainee, would also use when spectating ( with ear piece ) thruxtons my home circuit ;-)
Old 26 Aug 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2946254)   #1229
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Woolley said, there a a number of previous threads on frequncies but I do have a list that is reasonably accurate. PM me if you would like a copy.

Gerry
Old 26 Aug 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2946256)   #1230
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
169.337.5 for Mallory. I'd Love to Hear From Them.

That's just the 'normal' MSA frequency which can and will be used at quite a few circuits.

Be aware that not all clubs @ Mallory use it though, they often bring their own.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2946296)   #1231
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
without breeding comments like "that would mean officials would access channels they dont need to use" wouldnt it be easy to just have ALL frequencies used by everyone except security, camera guys that needs a scanner/2 way radio in their role for the day in the event paperwork or maybe to save on ink! it be made standard practice at the briefing of what the frequencies will be, sure a lot of people can scan and save channel for weeks months or even years but its whats needed really
Old 26 Aug 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2946328)   #1232
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Licenses to operate 2-way radios in the frequency bands used at circuits aren't cheap. The equipment also isn't cheap. Some circuits have kit for specific purposes, some clubs have kit for specific purposes, and how they're used will depend on the particular combination of club & circuit on any given day.

Dare I mention something, though? It's called a "scanner" for a reason!
Old 26 Aug 2011, 14:08 (Ref:2946354)   #1233
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Dare I mention something, though? It's called a "scanner" for a reason!
because it scans for frequencies!

However it will only stop when it finds a frequency in use, and Race Control - much to some's amazement - isn't talking all the time!

But don't care.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2946356)   #1234
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Taylor View Post
Hi All

I know scanners in the UK are a big talking point among marshals, should we have them, should we not? Spectators might hear a bad incident that sort of stuff.

My personal feeling is so long as Kilo codes are used no problem.
Got no qualms one way or the other, but don't forget there are Members of the public who will also have their own scanners and probably have some idea of what the Kilo codes are about (it's not exactly on any top secret lists!)

So confidentiality of transmissions is not an issue in this case.

Although I have heard talk of some organisations switching to digital in the future.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2946357)   #1235
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of listening in.... I'm speccing at the LMS at Silverstone in a couple of weeks and thought I'd take my scanner along to try and listen to some team radio. I've done a few internet searches but can't find any mention of what frequencies they use.

If anyone knows whereabouts to start searching could you PM me or if there's a thread on here point me in the right direction?

Cheers!
Old 18 Sep 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2957659)   #1236
jondwyer
Rookie

jondwyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scanner?

At a couple of recent meetings, I've been the only marshal in my group without a radio scanner, so I guess it's time to look into buying one.
Apart from not allowing fellow marshals to talk to you, what does it actually do? How do you get it to pick up post to chief marshal radio communications? Does a scanner cost much and who sells them? If you point me in the right direction, I will put one on my Christmas list!
Old 18 Sep 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2957676)   #1237
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a browse of this forum as there's loads of threads on this subject.

Just a start, have a look at the maycom AR-108, a lot of people seem to use them and I've never had any trouble with mine. Mine cost about £60.

Basically it can be set to "scan" the radiowaves to find an active frequency or if you know the frequency thats being used, it can be set straight to it then adjusted to make the sound clearer.

Bear in mind that if you do rallies and circuit or vice versa they use different frequencies and the Maycom often wont go low enough for rally frequencies (or from my experience anyway.)

Im sure someone with a bit more knowledge will give you a hand.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2957687)   #1238
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some good info and advice in older threads. beware buying one if you're a silverstone regular as the probability is they'll go digital soon & scanners will be a waste of time.

Not good to read that scanners seemed to make you left out - helpful info should be shared and is often a useful point to discuss issues and training based on what's happening.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2957731)   #1239
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3rd season in and I still haven't used one.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2957755)   #1240
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
23rd season down in the record books, still no scanner. If I need to know I get given a radio.
Still prefer to see the majority of my incident team without a scanner in their ear, concentrating on their own incidents, not someone else's.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2957757)   #1241
NewYankee01
Veteran

i was like you a couple of months ago not knowing where to start, asking dozens of people about what to get. i was not going to bother getting one, im a flaggie, some say theyre invaluable, i havent got mine working yet properly but i probably wont use mine much anyway now that ive got one. i got a very hard to use but very functional (that why its so hard to use!) cheap radio, i would steer well clear of the one ive got, its the type only reserved for pros who have been trained on them. i would get the same one again though, everyone swears by the maicoms, they are anything from £65-110 depending on the model, biggest downside for me is theyre round normal battery powered. maplins is the cheapest place ive found and you have all the tech support you need, on post!
Old 18 Sep 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2957785)   #1242
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
23rd season down in the record books, still no scanner.
Snap, on both counts.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2958181)   #1243
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
everyone swears by the maicoms, they are anything from £65-110 depending on the model, biggest downside for me is theyre round normal battery powered.
True they do use AA batteries, but AA rechargables work really well and chargers aren't expensive. I have some 2000mAh AA rechargables that have been used regularly for 4 years and still easily hold enough charge to do a 3-day event. The only thing about rechargeables is they self-discharge fairly rapidly (within a few weeks) so you'll need to remember to charge them on the Friday night before a meeting.

I won't stoke the "should you or shouldn't you use scanners" debate here...
Old 19 Sep 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2958224)   #1244
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
23rd season down in the record books, still no scanner. If I need to know I get given a radio.
Still prefer to see the majority of my incident team without a scanner in their ear, concentrating on their own incidents, not someone else's.

This season I have heard race control on a number of occasions (incliding the GP) call for marshal with scanners to do this or that, push a car to a safe place or perticular spot.

With more and more cameras appering at curcuits direct comms with the bods on the ground will become more of the norm.

The think to remember is NOT to act of what you hear UNLESS it is directed at you from RACE CONTROL. I would still then check with the IO to confirm.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2958408)   #1245
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb View Post
True they do use AA batteries, but AA rechargables work really well and chargers aren't expensive. I have some 2000mAh AA rechargables that have been used regularly for 4 years and still easily hold enough charge to do a 3-day event. The only thing about rechargeables is they self-discharge fairly rapidly (within a few weeks) so you'll need to remember to charge them on the Friday night before a meeting.

I won't stoke the "should you or shouldn't you use scanners" debate here...
i will, its right what the people say who believe trainees shouldnt have scanners but if you pay the money for one, its got to be used... sometimes you can get the commentary can easily be found on them, whatever passes the day
Old 20 Sep 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2958445)   #1246
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
sometimes you can get the commentary can easily be found on them, whatever passes the day
And that can be a bigger distraction than listening to race control. A commentator *will* get over excited about things and make statements that might not be correct - reacting to that is even worse than reacting to a Race Control message at the wrong time.

If you are going to use a scanner, then make sure it is listening to the Race Control frequencies, and not Race Radio/commentary or anything else "that passes the day"
Old 20 Sep 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2958473)   #1247
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
...unless you're flagging a long distance race where the commentary can be of invaluable assistance.

My worry is the start of this where the poster felt 'left out' without one. If people are using them they should be passing on information to those who aren't. A scanner can be useful as a source of additional information but it shouldn't be interfering with communication between the marshals. If it is, then I have a problem with them.

Reminds me of a situation I saw in a pub recently - 3 girls having a night out, each of them on their mobile and not talking. The one on the left sent a text to the one on the right who showed it to the one in the middle...
Old 20 Sep 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2958517)   #1248
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
My worry is the start of this where the poster felt 'left out' without one. If people are using them they should be passing on information to those who aren't. A scanner can be useful as a source of additional information but it shouldn't be interfering with communication between the marshals. If it is, then I have a problem with them.
That's my worry. Seems to me the real problem here isn't the presence or absence of scanners but the attitude of other marshals towards one of their colleagues.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2958521)   #1249
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
...unless you're flagging a long distance race where the commentary can be of invaluable assistance.
Apologies, that was me being too generic in my response. There are occasions when it useful, and you have picked one out.

I do think that DaveB has hit the nail on the head, in that the real issue is people on scanners not communicating with the rest of the team without scanners.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2958522)   #1250
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
And that can be a bigger distraction than listening to race control. A commentator *will* get over excited about things and make statements that might not be correct - reacting to that is even worse than reacting to a Race Control message at the wrong time.

If you are going to use a scanner, then make sure it is listening to the Race Control frequencies, and not Race Radio/commentary or anything else "that passes the day"
that's if you can get race control! many a time using my radio ive punched in the correct frequency and no matter what i try i never pick anything up, and mine works to a very very wide band...