Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2018, 00:27 (Ref:3845302)   #126
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Must be Toro Rosso, no? Despite all that’s happened.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 02:09 (Ref:3845309)   #127
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Must be.

Can really only think it to be between Williams and TR, and if Williams - why now?
Old 22 Aug 2018, 02:49 (Ref:3845312)   #128
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Probably better for Leclerc to have another year in a Sauber or Haas.
Look what happened with Perez, Kovalainen, even Magnussen when promoted too soon.

Actually, just don't join McLaren it seems!

In other news, JEV appears to have been approached by an F1 team. I wonder who....
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...-2019/3161361/

Agree. I think Leclerc will be better off in the long run after another year with a mid-field team before heading off to (presumably) Ferarri. Haas would be a great spot for him next year, though that would likely give the boot to Grosjean, who I like. Anyone recall the days of 3 car teams? Just kidding, but what do the rules actually say?
Old 22 Aug 2018, 06:45 (Ref:3845325)   #129
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Must be.

Can really only think it to be between Williams and TR, and if Williams - why now?
Does JEV come with any backing? His experience would be useful to Williams if, as we all expect, Stroll moves on.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3845422)   #130
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It was probably STR who contacted him, but I wouldn't rule out Williams
Old 22 Aug 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3845435)   #131
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Albon looking at Toro Rosso as well.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 23:13 (Ref:3845665)   #132
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know if there's a list anywhere of how many super license points F2, GP3 etc drivers have?
Old 24 Aug 2018, 01:26 (Ref:3845676)   #133
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Does anyone know if there's a list anywhere of how many super license points F2, GP3 etc drivers have?
I asked same question in a different thread. There is no official list, but others have compiled the data..

https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=508

Richard
Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3845747)   #134
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can't bring myself to support some rich kid from monaco so i guess i should openly admit i think screw leclerc, go kimi
Old 24 Aug 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3845785)   #135
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
That’s appalling inverted snobbery. Sure, support someone who’s battled against the odds, but to take *against* a driver because he’s had a comfortable upbringing is just wrong.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 02:32 (Ref:3845907)   #136
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Agree. I think Leclerc will be better off in the long run after another year with a mid-field team before heading off to (presumably) Ferarri. Haas would be a great spot for him next year, though that would likely give the boot to Grosjean, who I like. Anyone recall the days of 3 car teams? Just kidding, but what do the rules actually say?
I agree with you here.
If Ferrari want to do the absolute best possible for Leclerc they should sign him for the 2020 season now, and tell him they are not interested in his 2019 results, but to learn as much as possible.
This to my mind would give him the best possible chance in 2020.

A third car would be interesting if they limited the driver to having less than 20 F1 starts.
It would also be good if you could force some female participation into those seats, perhaps 2 starts a year in the third car have to be by a female driver.

Last edited by wnut; 25 Aug 2018 at 02:46.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3845936)   #137
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
That’s appalling inverted snobbery. Sure, support someone who’s battled against the odds, but to take *against* a driver because he’s had a comfortable upbringing is just wrong.
Indeed, if he's done enough to show talent, he deserves a seat, no matter how his upbringing has been
Old 25 Aug 2018, 11:14 (Ref:3845958)   #138
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol inverted snobbery, that's a new mental hoop. pull the other one.

I'm not going to cheer on yet another rich kid with the correct last name and i don't see why you think i'm obliged to. there's already too many in formula 1.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3845983)   #139
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon9 View Post
lol inverted snobbery, that's a new mental hoop. pull the other one.

I'm not going to cheer on yet another rich kid with the correct last name and i don't see why you think i'm obliged to. there's already too many in formula 1.
I'm not up on Leclerc's family, who are they?
Old 25 Aug 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3846018)   #140
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leclerc's family may be wealthy, but that's no different to the majority of drivers on the grid. Most get a start in motorsport through having money, or parents already in the sport. There is a bit of an irony in refusing to support Leclerc due to his privileged upbringing, whilst having the username Dixon, who is, of course, the son of two racing drivers who enabled him to get dispensation to race at a younger age than would've been allowed. Many others wouldn't have had the start in life Scott had.

Whenever you look at any racing driver, there's usually a bit of privilege somewhere down the line. That's the nature of such an expensive sport.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3846019)   #141
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I'm not up on Leclerc's family, who are they?

I'm guessing that they may have some connection to the French supermarket chain of that name.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3846023)   #142
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Show me a current F1 driver who didn't have a 'privileged' upbringing of some sort - quite possibly Messrs Alonso and Ericsson had the least privileged.

I think bringing money and connections along as a reason to *not* support someone is missing the point - surely we should be supporting people because of their ability, personality, sponsors, hair colour or something? By the time any driver reaches F1 they've already got money and connections (albeit in differing amounts).

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3846046)   #143
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm guessing that they may have some connection to the French supermarket chain of that name.
I think you may be guessing wrongly,earlier this year Leclerc was interviewed by David Coulthard who mentioned that the mother of Charles Leclerc had been cutting his hair for several years.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 21:07 (Ref:3846051)   #144
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It appears that Perez has a contract signed and sealed. We await the news but I suspect he will be staying with the team based at Silverstone.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 05:01 (Ref:3846088)   #145
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I think you may be guessing wrongly,earlier this year Leclerc was interviewed by David Coulthard who mentioned that the mother of Charles Leclerc had been cutting his hair for several years.
From quick google no mention of the supermarket chain. Father died in 2017 aged 54, and himself raced karts and F3 when younger. Doesn't sound like young Charles was that privileged.....
Old 26 Aug 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3846126)   #146
S griffin
Veteran

Nope, just racing was in his genes
Old 26 Aug 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3846394)   #147
Dixon9
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Leclerc's family may be wealthy, but that's no different to the majority of drivers on the grid. Most get a start in motorsport through having money, or parents already in the sport. There is a bit of an irony in refusing to support Leclerc due to his privileged upbringing, whilst having the username Dixon, who is, of course, the son of two racing drivers who enabled him to get dispensation to race at a younger age than would've been allowed. Many others wouldn't have had the start in life Scott had.

Whenever you look at any racing driver, there's usually a bit of privilege somewhere down the line. That's the nature of such an expensive sport.
i thought this was coming

if you're going to consider being born to speedway parents and growing up in that noted south auckland mansion suburb Manurewa as equal to growing up in monaco then good on you
Old 26 Aug 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3846405)   #148
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People are only comparing it because of a bizarre comment someone made a couple of days ago........
Old 27 Aug 2018, 08:35 (Ref:3846462)   #149
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon9 View Post
i thought this was coming

if you're going to consider being born to speedway parents and growing up in that noted south auckland mansion suburb Manurewa as equal to growing up in monaco then good on you
If you knew it was coming then maybe that's because you knew it was a valid point

I never said they are equal. I said that it's hard to find a racing driver that hasn't had some sort of privilege. Leclerc may have grown up rich, but Dixon grew up already in the sport and was rewarded with privileges he may not have otherwise had. It's just different levels of the same thing. So if you're going to take a stance against supporting a privileged driver then it must be an arbitrary line in the sand that is drawn to decide who has had too much help and who hasn't.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3846497)   #150
Dixon9
Rookie

you made a terrible point to compare south auckland to monaco, keep reaching

if i'd known not supporting some rich kid would create so much melodrama i'd also have revealed i cbf supporting stroll, but that seems ok around here for whatever reason. geez i thought not having a preference either way in the hamilton v vettel debate would insulate me somewhat from the asylum escapees.

from now on i pinky promise to cheer on every driver equally, especially if they're young and hyped.