Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Mar 2024, 18:05 (Ref:4202027)   #26
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=ChrisA;4200948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Is it not a capital offence these days to get out of the car and leave the engine running? Just turn on ignition, all the lights will come on without the engine running.
Are you sure that is always the case Chris? For all cars?

It might well be but the "rules" do not always seem to be applied in the same way - or change over time.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 18:12 (Ref:4202029)   #27
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be not the case for all cars, depending on keyless or S&S system.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 18:16 (Ref:4202031)   #28
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Some new cars are difficult to see the rear indicators when brake lights are applied, and don'r get me started on modern dazzling "arc" headlights ! I know that I am not alone in saying that, as a survey claimed 85% said the same !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Mar 2024, 18:58 (Ref:4202042)   #29
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I'd love to get you started on any subject, Gordon, but my not-so-smart phone is running out of battery so the ap doesn't work! Try and call later, sorry fon any inconvenience, as they say.
Old 21 Mar 2024, 20:16 (Ref:4202152)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I checked managements Kia Niro this evening. MY 2021.Last of the old shape after facelift. (The car, not the wife).

Driving lights (front only) do not come on after startup until Drive is engaged (Auto box with manual control options but no clutch.)

They stay on until the car is put into Park OR the Handbrake is applied.

They stay turned off if the car is put into ignition mode only.

So the only way for a solo driver to check what is and is not working, absent a bright coloured wall or a mirror effect in front of them, the only way to undertake a check is to have the engine running and be in Drive mode OR Neutral but without applying the parking brake.

"Auto hold" seems to act as a variant of the parking brake function - which is what it is.

Whether all Kia's (By age) have the same modus operandi I can't say.

How I ever drove without all of these clever features I cannot imagine ....
Old 21 Mar 2024, 20:26 (Ref:4202153)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
So the only way for a solo driver to check what is and is not working, absent a bright coloured wall or a mirror effect in front of them, the only way to undertake a check is to have the engine running and be in Drive mode OR Neutral but without applying the parking brake.
Does the 'bulb not working' caption in the dashboard also cover this requirement?
Old 21 Mar 2024, 20:55 (Ref:4202157)   #32
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Does the 'bulb not working' caption in the dashboard also cover this requirement?

I think what Grant meant is that the only way to check whether the rear lights are also lit during daytime running is to get out of the car to see, or ask someone else to stand at the rear and tell you.

Well, that's what I understood, anyway.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 08:12 (Ref:4202208)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I think what Grant meant is that the only way to check whether the rear lights are also lit during daytime running is to get out of the car to see, or ask someone else to stand at the rear and tell you.

Maybe - I didn't read it that way because of the included qualifier 'front only'.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 10:42 (Ref:4202229)   #34
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Exactly, that was the whole point of raising this issue in the first place, most people are completely unaware whether they have lit rears in daytime running mode.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 12:00 (Ref:4202240)   #35
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Exactly, that was the whole point of raising this issue in the first place, most people are completely unaware whether they have lit rears in daytime running mode.
Why would they need to know if the rear lights are on or not?

The purpose of DRLs is so that other road users can identify an active vehicle, which is the reason they illuminate when the parking brake is dis-engaged, vehicle is in gear and engine is running.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 12:26 (Ref:4202244)   #36
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Why would they need to know if the rear lights are on or not?

The purpose of DRLs is so that other road users can identify an active vehicle, which is the reason they illuminate when the parking brake is dis-engaged, vehicle is in gear and engine is running.

crm, this is all in response to the original post where the OP by "justracing" had a reasonable point that he wonders why other drivers rely on the meagre DRLs when in poor light, and they seem to be unaware that it is only the front lights that are on, and not the rear ones which could possibly be more important.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 14:30 (Ref:4202276)   #37
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
crm, this is all in response to the original post where the OP by "justracing" had a reasonable point that he wonders why other drivers rely on the meagre DRLs when in poor light, and they seem to be unaware that it is only the front lights that are on, and not the rear ones which could possibly be more important.
Noted, but is it not a case of drivers using the wrong lights (for their own visibility as well) rather than whether the rears are illuminated or not?

Use headlights for your own visibility and the rears are on too? The problem seems to be drivers using daytime lights when it is dark, not the lack of rear illumination.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 15:05 (Ref:4202281)   #38
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
crm, I don't think anyone here would disagree with what you have written; however, there is plenty of evidence here in the UK that that logic is beyond the wit of too many drivers on our roads.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 16:19 (Ref:4202290)   #39
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
crm, I don't think anyone here would disagree with what you have written; however, there is plenty of evidence here in the UK that that logic is beyond the wit of too many drivers on our roads.
Agreed. It's a long list:

Changing lanes - why 'indicate' to other road users.
Foggy - why bother illuminating my car with 'fog' lights.
Clear skies - dazzle drivers behind with fog lights on.
Don't want to be seen clearly - tint my rear lights to make them less effective.
Don't want to see ahead - obscure my vision with dangling items from the rear view mirror.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 19:05 (Ref:4202310)   #40
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Don't want to see ahead - obscure my vision with dangling items from the rear view mirror.
+ cell phone right in the middle of the windscreen.
Old 23 Mar 2024, 23:42 (Ref:4202463)   #41
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody hell! I thought I was on the motorsport forum, but it appears I've stumbled into 'Top tips for non-Highway Code readers'!

So, in the sprit of the new subject matter, how about:

Why bother moving back to any empty lane on my left just because there's a long line of cars behind me?
Don't bother giving any signals whatsoever at any roundabout, as I haven't got a clue what to do.
Do I really have to bother stopping at a zebra crossing, just because someone's waiting to cross?
Remember to always block any access to a side road when in a stationary queue - if I'm not going anywhere, why should anyone else?
Never plan ahead when approaching roundabouts or open junctions, to see if maybe I can adjust my speed to fit straight into any potential gap - no, much better to get to the line, stop, apply my handbrake, and then have a look to see if anything's coming...

And many more...

Last edited by Paul D; 23 Mar 2024 at 23:55.
Old 24 Mar 2024, 00:27 (Ref:4202468)   #42
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And for non-readers of the motorways section:

Understand that, whenever signs show your lane closed ahead, and others in your lane get over early when they have an opportunity to do so without causing hindrance or cutting up other drivers, they are doing so specifically to leave the lane clear so that you can carry on oblivious, at speed, right up to the start of the cones, at which point you can simply barge your way in, without any signal, cutting up all and sundry, and taking out a few cones in the process.

The hard shoulder is there for your exclusive convenience, so remember - next time you're stuck in several lanes of stationary traffic, if your exit is less than five miles away, then it's perfectly acceptable to whizz along the hard shoulder to get there a bit sooner. And remember, the faster you go, the less time you'll spend in this potentially life-threatening situation, so do get your foot down!

And many others coming to a highway near you shortly...
Old 24 Mar 2024, 11:46 (Ref:4202518)   #43
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Why bother moving back to any empty lane on my left just because there's a long line of cars behind me?
Because you're French may be…
Old 25 Mar 2024, 16:41 (Ref:4202735)   #44
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The main point with regard to all of the forgoing, is that YOU are solely responsible for driving the car, every action, right or wrong is down to YOU. That is because you decide to drive a lethal weapon on public roads, sure, the vast majority of your fellow road users are basically incompetent, having not learned a single lesson since they passed their driving test, but that is the point. YOU cannot rely on anyone else to drive safely, sensibly, or responsibly, even though they should. In a life time of driving I learned lessons almost daily, and very rarely came across another driver (on the road) whom I would trust. When I did the memory stayed with me.
When relatively new to long distance driving I would some times find I was letting other people influence my driving by reacting to their actions. I put a stop to that.

Quick, not fast. Observation, anticipation, acceleration were my mottos.

Keep your attention on the road, not on your passenger or mobile phone, use the information your eyes gather to make rapid decisions when necessary. It could save your life.

Here endeth the lesson.

Owd Baub.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 16:25 (Ref:4202898)   #45
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The main point with regard to all of the forgoing, is that YOU are solely responsible for driving the car, every action, right or wrong is down to YOU. That is because you decide to drive a lethal weapon on public roads, sure, the vast majority of your fellow road users are basically incompetent, having not learned a single lesson since they passed their driving test, but that is the point. YOU cannot rely on anyone else to drive safely, sensibly, or responsibly, even though they should. In a life time of driving I learned lessons almost daily, and very rarely came across another driver (on the road) whom I would trust. When I did the memory stayed with me.
When relatively new to long distance driving I would some times find I was letting other people influence my driving by reacting to their actions. I put a stop to that.

Quick, not fast. Observation, anticipation, acceleration were my mottos.

Keep your attention on the road, not on your passenger or mobile phone, use the information your eyes gather to make rapid decisions when necessary. It could save your life.

Here endeth the lesson.

Owd Baub.
Wow! love that Mr Baub, most sensible and clear/lucid information you've ever posted surely, well said
Old 26 Mar 2024, 21:48 (Ref:4202928)   #46
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Wow! love that Mr Baub, most sensible and clear/lucid information you've ever posted surely, well said
Thank you Merely Competing, it is nice to see someone agrees with me for once, however, from the tone of some of the previous contributions, my 'lesson' may not sit too well with everybody.

I still hold a current licence, and my eyesight is up to driving standards, but I do not feel I would be entirely safe in these more advances times.

Mr Baub.
Old 26 Mar 2024, 22:41 (Ref:4202930)   #47
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Thank you Merely Competing, it is nice to see someone agrees with me for once, however, from the tone of some of the previous contributions, my 'lesson' may not sit too well with everybody.
Mr Baub.
There's always a contingent of ne'er do wells, best ignore 'em and stay with your gut instinct, I don't know about you but too much technology just scrabbles my few remaining grey cells, keep safe and well. Stlll Sriving
Old 27 Mar 2024, 14:07 (Ref:4202992)   #48
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

So, in the sprit of the new subject matter, how about:

Never plan ahead when approaching roundabouts or open junctions, to see if maybe I can adjust my speed to fit straight into any potential gap - no, much better to get to the line, stop, apply my handbrake, and then have a look to see if anything's coming...

What! There are people out there other than me that still know how to use a handbrake? Every other beggar I see seems to just sit with there foot on the footbrake no matter how long they are stationary for........

I do appreciate that many modern things have some appalling electric handbrake.......
Old 27 Mar 2024, 14:37 (Ref:4202999)   #49
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Every other beggar I see seems to just sit with there foot on the footbrake no matter how long they are stationary for........
That may not be as it seems. If you were behind our car (Mercedes Auto) and I came to a stop, an extended press of the brake pedal puts the car into 'hold' - engaging the brakes which also results in the brake lights being illuminated. I can take my foot off the brake, and the car still holds stationary and appears (from behind) as if I am on the footbrake.
Old 27 Mar 2024, 16:46 (Ref:4203025)   #50
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
This brings to mind another anomaly regarding electronic handbrakes and stop-start batteries.
On most cars, and applied electronic handbrake will automatically release when the car starts to move (making the old 'hill start' skill that we all had to perfect for our driving tests another redundancy). On cars with automatic transmission, if the car is left in 'Drive' the handbrake will release as soon as the throttle is pressed. This can have potentially disastrous effects. Simply accidentally brushing the throttle pedal couls instantly set the car in motion. I also know of an MOT tester who had a trader bring in a big Jaguar for test, the trader drove the car into the workshop and the tester walked to the back of the car and inserted the emissions testing kit into the exhaust. The trader got out of the driving seat and the tester hopped in. On pressing the throttle for the first emissions test, the car shot down the workshop and across the ramp as the trader had left the car in Drive, but with the electronic handbrake on! Luckily the only damage was to the car...
With the later stop-start battery technology, generally the system will stop the engine when the car is stationary and the footbrake is applied. Engaging the parking brake an releasing the brake pedal will then cause the engine to start again. This could be another reason why so many people appear to be holding their cars on the footbrake!