Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1669157)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How well did Montagny do?

It seems the vast majority on this forum think Sato is doing well this year so by that yard stick i would have to say Franck did a good job, Montagny came in late, i appreciate he was third driver but it is pretty much a team built around Sato, i can`t recall Franck throwing it at the wall at all, after a couple of races he was right on Satos pace when his car worked and of course he beat him all weekend in France, i know why Super Aguri moved him to one side but if i was Franck i would feel a bit short changed that i didn`t get a crack at it in the new car.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1669183)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd agree with view that Montagny did well in the Super Aguri for he was pretty much the equal of Sato, nor did he appear to make any silly mistakes. That said, looking at his perfomances in formulae below F1 and as a Renault test driver would probably create the same conclusion, so I don't find that too surprising. Whilst he must be disappointed that he isn't in the new car, especially when he is probably the better driver out of Ide and Yamamoto at least he has had the chance to perform in front of a the team bosses, which may at least get his name in the frame for a seat somewhere next year.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1669190)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Montagny acquitted himself well, but really was no match for Sato. He didn't get a great chance at things either.

His time has now passed one suspects.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 01:17 (Ref:1669529)   #4
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel the answer is "better than any Japanese driver not named Sato"
Old 1 Aug 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1669908)   #5
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he did quite well, especially under the circumstances. With only one Japanese driver in a national team, he never really was given the chance to compete and yet he handled it quite well and his attitude was terrific. Never heard him whine about it. There are worse drivers in better cars who complain all the time. It would be great to see him in a decent car for an entire season, F1 or Champ Car.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1669915)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He did a good job, however we all knew that this was a temporary postition and so did Montangy. He did do himself the world of good however whilst he was in F1 and he is no doubt near the top of a few team owners shopping lists outside of F1 for 2007. A seat in Champcar beckons?
Old 1 Aug 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1670361)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's dumped from a Japanese team for not being Japanese. Now he's linked to a North American series for not being North American. Funny old world.

He did a good job, came into the team late and knew his circumstances, but consistantly came close to a rejouvinated Sato. It will be a shame if this is all F1 sees of him, irrespective of whether Yamamoto does well.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 02:53 (Ref:1670527)   #8
kevinq
Rookie

kevinq should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone on a forum (not sure if it was this one) claimed that Montagny had an inferior car to Sato's (relating to ballast placement).

Has anyone heard any actual proof of that? I would have expected them to have the same cars (with them both being "new").

I didn't study their results/speed that closely but Sato seemed to have the edge most times. Hopefully Davidson will race in the SA next year to give Sato an experienced F1 team mate to compare himself to.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 07:09 (Ref:1670604)   #9
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He didn't even start the race (well not really).
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen