Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Sep 2020, 20:03 (Ref:4007251)   #201
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I think what people are reacting to re Jade Edwards is the coverage of her appearance. At least, I hope it is, since I think time and effort is much better spent trying to revoke Andy Neate's racing license permanently than ramble on about Jade Edwards being uNwOrThY of a BTCC drive for contrived reasons.

The problem seems to be the media hype, running along nonsensical W Series logic that says that Alice Powell (1 point, GP3 2012, as a rookie) deserves another chance to be funded into F1 whilst Patric Niederhauser (2 wins, GP3 2012, as a rookie) apparently does not (or at least, F1 can continue to ignore him without any 'moral issues'), and this is all because Powell is a woman - the desire for these woman athletes to be worthy of the most elite men when those portrayed as such are clearly not worthy is what grates. It is an outlook that is clearly unfair and unconcerned about meritocracy (i.e. it ignores the entire ethos of sport), and very patronising to the woman concerned (although can make for nice sponsorship opportunities!), the men, and the spectators. I don't see why Jade Edwards doesn't deserve another shot where without ballast and hopefully without Andy Neate ruining her day she can scrap a little higher up, after all as has been pointed out some drivers won't be Ash Sutton's quality, and so long as they aren't actively endangering others (again, Neate, of whom enough can never be spoken until he is outright banned for good) then this doesn't need to be anyone's concern. After all, Ollie Jackson spent a good few seasons squabbling for top 15/20 finishes and now he's a race winner.

And I will not edit out that double negative.
Very good post, although as much W Series as BTCC.

I was very sceptical about W but then thought it well run. I just hope they find one good enough before they run out of money/patience. Nobody at the moment remotely good enough.

If you’re 2s off the ultimate pace you can look good against a field 3s or 4s off, but you’ll be shown up when you enter another series, like Jamie Chadwick this year where if you tripled her points she’d still be a clear last in her 4 car team.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 20:15 (Ref:4007258)   #202
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I would quite like to see how Richard John Neil gets on beside David for the BTCC races.
That's 2 colour commentators, it doesn't work.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 20:34 (Ref:4007266)   #203
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
You’re right. Just have RJN by himself then.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 20:40 (Ref:4007268)   #204
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't know why it would wind people up. if the tv interviews were anything like the pre-racing interview she gave to itv and louise, she's a real credit to the series.

on another note, i'm watching the sunday coverage for the first time and tim harvey *is* saying cabbage, isn't he...
Is he saying cabbage?

Yes he is!

(My mother commented that's a funny name, cabbage - is that a car or a man?)
Old 28 Sep 2020, 21:31 (Ref:4007274)   #205
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Either way, wouldn't mind someone else having a try. Tim's seems to struggle at times, to say the least.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 06:54 (Ref:4007314)   #206
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Either way, wouldn't mind someone else having a try. Tim's seems to struggle at times, to say the least.
Sounds like a retirement plan for Matt Neal... he's well spoken and knows what he's on about. Of course not being a black woman with ginger hair and an odd sexual orientation he probably doesn't tick the right boxes for a broadcast career...
Old 29 Sep 2020, 07:07 (Ref:4007316)   #207
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Sounds like a retirement plan for Matt Neal... he's well spoken and knows what he's on about. Of course not being a black woman with ginger hair and an odd sexual orientation he probably doesn't tick the right boxes for a broadcast career...
I never knew that about Tim Harvey
Old 29 Sep 2020, 07:47 (Ref:4007320)   #208
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Motorsport could indeed use a lot more females and those of colour. It's a bit of an echo chamber of well off white men at the moment.

Don't think that's quite the point you were making though
Old 29 Sep 2020, 08:42 (Ref:4007322)   #209
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You want Neal to commentate? Have you heard him on WTCR? Awful.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 08:47 (Ref:4007323)   #210
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
You want Neal to commentate? Have you heard him on WTCR? Awful.
Got that rigbt! Mind you the Biased Coulthard drone takes some beating.....
Old 29 Sep 2020, 09:07 (Ref:4007325)   #211
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Get John Cleland back in the booth. His WTCC commentary was always worth a listen.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 09:17 (Ref:4007326)   #212
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Oh yes I was thinking the same thing. JC was as outspoken as James Hunt in the WTCC commentary. Quite witty too.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 09:35 (Ref:4007331)   #213
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think what people are reacting to re Jade Edwards is the coverage of her appearance. At least, I hope it is, since I think time and effort is much better spent trying to revoke Andy Neate's racing license permanently than ramble on about Jade Edwards being uNwOrThY of a BTCC drive for contrived reasons.

The problem seems to be the media hype, running along nonsensical W Series logic that says that Alice Powell (1 point, GP3 2012, as a rookie) deserves another chance to be funded into F1 whilst Patric Niederhauser (2 wins, GP3 2012, as a rookie) apparently does not (or at least, F1 can continue to ignore him without any 'moral issues'), and this is all because Powell is a woman - the desire for these woman athletes to be worthy of the most elite men when those portrayed as such are clearly not worthy is what grates. It is an outlook that is clearly unfair and unconcerned about meritocracy (i.e. it ignores the entire ethos of sport), and very patronising to the woman concerned (although can make for nice sponsorship opportunities!), the men, and the spectators. I don't see why Jade Edwards doesn't deserve another shot where without ballast and hopefully without Andy Neate ruining her day she can scrap a little higher up, after all as has been pointed out some drivers won't be Ash Sutton's quality, and so long as they aren't actively endangering others (again, Neate, of whom enough can never be spoken until he is outright banned for good) then this doesn't need to be anyone's concern. After all, Ollie Jackson spent a good few seasons squabbling for top 15/20 finishes and now he's a race winner.

And I will not edit out that double negative.
She deserves to be in the championship just as much as the likes of Crees and Boardley. She has no less experience than them and is able to bring the required budget. Like most drivers, she'll take time to adjust to the car and the championship, so let's judge her performance after a few more races.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 10:14 (Ref:4007342)   #214
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
She did well to keep pace with others, even if the layout at Silverstone helped in that regard. So I’d say she did a solid job all things considered
Old 29 Sep 2020, 11:16 (Ref:4007358)   #215
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I just caught up on the coverage last night.

The first couple of races were good, but Race 3 was awesome. The pressure that Ollie Jackson was under was immense, and I was delighted to see him win. I was expecting someone to get punted off, but they raced hard and clean.

Sutton's drive through the field was amazing.

Other points have been discussed at length already in here. Neate seemed to have behaved well in the first few rounds, but now is driving like an idiot.

Edwards did well, especially considering the max ballast in qualy and race 1 - it would be a shame if this was just a one-off. I have not seen any media coverage which portrays her as the offspring of Aryton Senna and Michelle Mouton, so I don't really understand the way that some people seem to be upset with her presence on the grid. A woman in BTCC is worthy of some media coverage - because this has been almost entirely male dominated for years, and it seemingly will continue that way.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 12:12 (Ref:4007371)   #216
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I thought that it was "interesting" the amount of rear disturbance the Toyota seemed to have on its rear wing at top speed, (intentional or not). Not sure if that would stall the wing...? Other cars may have the same, but I just noticed it on the Silverstone footage.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 14:06 (Ref:4007395)   #217
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
There's great quote from Jade in a TCT article:

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2020...d-btcc-desire/

Basically the good bit is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Edwards
I made a move on Andy Neate with a few laps to go but then two corners later, he drove like Andy Neate and we dropped back again.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 15:50 (Ref:4007408)   #218
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turks again complains about straight line speed , maybe a dig at TOCA for too low boost ?

wonder if "other cars" he means Infiniti

Quote:
We could do with a bit more straightline speed though because some of the other cars had a big advantage over us in that area.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 16:05 (Ref:4007411)   #219
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

Basically the good bit is:
That's good!
Old 29 Sep 2020, 16:06 (Ref:4007412)   #220
S griffin
Veteran

To be fair his first race pass was aggressive, but just about on. Him trying to squeeze her in R3 was worse
Old 29 Sep 2020, 16:55 (Ref:4007419)   #221
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Turks again complains about straight line speed , maybe a dig at TOCA for too low boost ?

It seemed on the onboards that the BMWs were slightly pulling away from the Infiniti but then again I don't have any speed trap data or anything beyond my own perception on this.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 17:40 (Ref:4007425)   #222
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It seemed on the onboards that the BMWs were slightly pulling away from the Infiniti but then again I don't have any speed trap data or anything beyond my own perception on this.
The speed trap figures show that, on the whole, there was not much between the BMWs and the Q50s over the weekend.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 17:55 (Ref:4007429)   #223
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post

Carrying effecively 100kg of combined ballast will do that I would have thought.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 18:14 (Ref:4007431)   #224
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

loved her pre-race 3 interview on the grid as well - she's diplomatic but says exactly what happened. doesn't get into the thinly veiled handbags that some of the others tend to resort to.

i think from a tv viewer perspective we've got a really great grid - lots of eloquent drivers who are comfortable in front of a camera and corporate friendly whilst retaining their personalities. they're mostly pretty grounded and relatable, and several seem to have no issue with admitting when they've made a mistake too.

not all, mind
Old 29 Sep 2020, 20:04 (Ref:4007449)   #225
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is the second time you have posted saying LGBTQI+ lifestyles are "wrong" and I'm not sure why no-one has called you out on it

This is what people like Jade Edwards and the Hamiltons have to fight.
Not only are there the out and out racists/sexists/homophobes who will deny them oppurtunities, there are also the closet ones who will decry their performances yet hide their attacks behind every other excuse they can think of bar the obvious

With Jade Edwards, I'm not sure why trying to give a platform to a female driver is supposed to be a bad thing
Plenty of other drivers sneak in at the back of the BTCC grid and aren't expected to set the world on fire at their first meeting.
For Jade, I'm sure 2020 is more of an experience gathering affair than it is anything else, so fair play to her.
I'm sure she would've appreciated the oppurtunity to have gained even more laps without being Neate'd too
And if just one other young female karter is motivated to not give up their career at 13/14 (as that's the age girl karters seem to vanish, for whatever reason) because they now realise it is possible to get to the BTCC or some other high level motorsport series, then the spotlight by ITV on JE will have done its job

As for Nic, I'm not even sure if he ever expects to do anything but enjoying his time as a racing driver in whatever position he can bring home
Considering the challenges he has faced, just being on the grid is enough of an achievement for him, anything else is a bonus