Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 5 Jul 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1026495)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nikon D70

I am thing about upgrading my camara to a DSLR and I was thinking about picking up a 2nd hand Canon D30.

But now I am thinking about getting a Nikon D70, a chap at work has just got one and I have seen the results this morning and I am very impressed. I just wondering if anyone has one or has used one and what there thoughts on it are.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 11:13 (Ref:1026547)   #2
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
so you gave up the idea of a 10D?

can't help you for D70, as I only have a D30
Old 5 Jul 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1026562)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has all come down to £££ and there are some good deals about on D70's at the momment.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1026713)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Well I have just had a better look at my work mates and I am very very impressed. Um what to do........
Old 5 Jul 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1026852)   #5
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am looking at doing the same, cheapest I have found so far is for a D70 with 18-70 lense is £899 from Uk shop and D70 with a 28-80 lense for £849 again uk supplier.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1026858)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I think I have seen the same website egor. I am thinking about ordering one tonight.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1026887)   #7
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by egor
cheapest I have found so far is for a D70 with 18-70 lense is £899
Wow, that is a low price assuming it does include the AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G SG IF ED lens. Is it from a reputable seller and do they have them in stock?
Old 5 Jul 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1026895)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Yes they do and buy the looks of there website they do look reputable and it is where the chap at work got his from and he seems quite happy with them. I understand that Jessops have a back log of about 1000 orders.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1026901)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Be carefull which lens you get in the bundle, some are offering a G series lens which judging by the price isn't that marvelous. BTW I have seen the D70 with a 28-80G Nikkor for £849. You may be better off paying a bit more for a D series lens bundle. I use a 70-300 D on my D100 and the results are excellent.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 18:07 (Ref:1027001)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
whats the aperture on that lens?
if i get back into photography seriously i'm looking at getting a good 300mm lens and using a converter rather than a dodgy 500mm one.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1027004)   #11
Daf_Loz
Rookie

Daf_Loz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's available with the 28-80 for £792 inc Vat & P+P.
£709 body only.

Gets excellent reviews (better than the EOS 300D) take a look at www.dpreview.com.

Last edited by Daf_Loz; 5 Jul 2004 at 18:13.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1027059)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
whats the aperture on that lens?
if i get back into photography seriously i'm looking at getting a good 300mm lens and using a converter rather than a dodgy 500mm one.
f4-f5.6 Not bad for £225, there is also a cheaper version for £100.
Don't forget with Digial you multiply the focal length by 1.5 so a 300mm on a digi would be the equivalent of 450mm in 35mm film
Old 5 Jul 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1027212)   #13
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a D70, its my first SLR camera and I find it simple to use and the value is great. If you look at the magazines they all rate it as one of the best.

You can view pictures that I took at the European GP:
http://www.theprancinghorse.co.uk/pics_euro2004.html

I got mine from the US as the dollar rate is very good.

Alex
Old 5 Jul 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1027320)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Thanks for that, those pictures are really good. I have decided that I am going to hang fire on buying my DSLR till over the winter, because there might be some better deals about etc, but I am tempted still tempted by a D70.

Last edited by rdjones; 5 Jul 2004 at 21:14.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 08:26 (Ref:1027739)   #15
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
You may find that come the end of the summer the D70 will drop in price again, compared to the EOS 300D it is about £150 more expensive at the moment(both with the good lens) but has been out a few months less than it.
Hopefully with the D70 starting off with a slightly cheaper RRP, this will get passed on to us as supply and demand catch each other up and pass on more savings or better bundle offers?????
I will look at buying mine in September unless someone has a good deal which is too good to miss before then.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 12:08 (Ref:1027958)   #16
chrisvw
Rookie

chrisvw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have used both the Canon EOS 10D and the 300D. I love Canon I think that thay make the worlds best cameras and lens. The Canon EOS 300D is not a bad camera for the money that you pay, but if you can afford a bit more the 10D is definitly the go.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 12:20 (Ref:1027982)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I haven't tried anything else so its unfair for me to say, but I still love my 10D......
Old 6 Jul 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1028043)   #18
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm slowly making friends with my D10, and it doesn't scare me as much as when I got it a month or so ago! It's definitely a case of "It's not the camera, it's what you do with it."
Old 6 Jul 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1028064)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
D10 I still want one, but I really can't afford one, but the lad at work who has just bought the D70 has just told me that there is a D10 MKII coming out in the next few months, so this might mean the orginal D10's come down in price. I think I am right in waiting and seeing what happens.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1028273)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
There's always a new model due soon, and it will almost always be cheaper. By the time the D10 MkII comes out you'll be asking if you should wait for the D70 replacement etc etc.

Sooner or later you going to have to bite the bullet, but don't be surprised if 6 months later it's second hand value is half what you paid for it.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1028458)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
There's always a new model due soon, and it will almost always be cheaper. By the time the D10 MkII comes out you'll be asking if you should wait for the D70 replacement etc etc.

Sooner or later you going to have to bite the bullet, but don't be surprised if 6 months later it's second hand value is half what you paid for it.
Yes it always the case that happen when I got my Fuji S602 - what came out a couple of months later the S7000. I think what I have to do is wait until I see the right deal for me and just go for it, but I am looking on this move as being a long term investment so to speak.

When I do get my DSLR then I will get rid of my S602 and I know that I am only going to get half what I paid for it new nearly a year ago.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1028517)   #22
jonathan500
Rookie

jonathan500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember if you buy a Nikon or Canon dslr camera you are then locked into that lens mount, only Kodak make a dslr camera which takes canon lens, with Nikon you have more choice.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1032273)   #23
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Well I have just been into my local Jessops and I had a look at the Canon D300 and it did seem very plasticy, so we can take that one of list.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:04 (Ref:1047398)   #24
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Popped into a Dixons close to home to have a look at the D70, they have it at £849 for the body including the 28-80 lens.
After chatting to the assistant about the price, he then said he could take 10% off the price which makes it £764 - thats the cheapest I have seen so far.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1047403)   #25
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
If that is the Nikkor lens that is very cheap. If you don't already have one, try and get a 256 or 512 CF card added for a reasonable price.