Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Nov 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2793186)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
I presume the 'boys' are grandsons.
No, they're Gordon's little friends who take all those photos of him
Old 20 Nov 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2793382)   #27
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
LIVE UPDATE FROM RACE CAR LIVE

Its cold
Old 20 Nov 2010, 15:44 (Ref:2793466)   #28
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
FURTHER UPDATE FROM RACE CAR LIVE

and getting dark!

On a serious not, there is a fair bit going on here and Brian Jones is making himself heard as always. We are in the outer paddock and there is plenty of action on the circuit.

More tomorrow. Circuit stuff stops at four because of the light but do come down and say hello.

More tomorrow
Old 20 Nov 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2793577)   #29
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I gave my ticket to one of my relatives as I had a "hectic" (see the "lighter side") day Christmas shopping
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Nov 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2793581)   #30
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
as I am not "hibernating" for a couple of weeks.
Its lovely down here Gordon.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2793582)   #31
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
Second that ....you are missing out...though...by the "lighter side" post you may not think so
Old 20 Nov 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2793591)   #32
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Where exactly is here ? George Polley phoned me up on my mobile a few years back and said "we are sitting outside of your place are you coming down the beach", I had to laugh as I was in the p***ing rain in Tunbridge Wells at the time.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Nov 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2793743)   #33
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Where exactly is here ?
same place as we met last christmas. It was raining then.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2793773)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
same place as we met last christmas. It was raining then.
How long are you going to be down there ? I see the weather is good for the next few days.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 10:57 (Ref:2793777)   #35
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Its cold
and today it's wet as well. Glad I'm sitting at home.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2793787)   #36
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
How long are you going to be down there ? I see the weather is good for the next few days.
I will send you a PM Gordon
Old 21 Nov 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2793803)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
and today it's wet as well. Glad I'm sitting at home.

You should have gone yesterday Tim,cold but dry. It was OK for some though,huddle'd around a Fan Heater in a Tent.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2793846)   #38
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
RACE CAR LIVE UPDATE

OK ...Its stopped raining!!!

Been out in Jody's 325...was great....he threw it around while it was still wet..and he was very quick...Although got a bit fed up with me being a a clerk and saying "waved blue" or "thats a yellow flag"..great fun. Jamie was up next in it...but you do get some muppets on these days (the ones without the race licences seem to be the worst no disrespect .) and within a lap someone had stuck their car into the gravel and caused a red flag! Managed to get back out there after short delay. Then I was up next, was a great crack and a learning curve for me, that said, perhaps the driver of the cossie that was in my group needs a lesson or two WAVED YELLOW MEANS IMMINENT DANGER, SLOW DOWN..... it does not mean overtake me and another car AND another car! (ohhh I wish id been clerking!)

Anyway, Al came along and said hello which was nice and the rest of the people dont seem dampend by the weather (though it is cold)

Will post some footage on the 360 site ...right John Smith is now about to be taken out by Jody....that should be a laugh...Will post a pic if I can

Yours

VCC
(Very Cold Claire)
Old 21 Nov 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2793849)   #39
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
You should have gone yesterday Tim,cold but dry. It was OK for some though,huddle'd around a Fan Heater in a Tent.
I was too busy being a good dad delivering a bed and fitting curtains in mini swmbo's new flat in Brighton.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2793869)   #40
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well I have to say hand on heart it was all a bit dire and worse than I remember it 2 years ag. I cannot see this event continuing if I am honest.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2793876)   #41
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with you on that Al,I feel very sorry for the organiser's. Could just be a sign of the time's I suppose.

Would have liked to have seen your face after your run Claire,bet Jody was being very carefull.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2793894)   #42
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I feel very sorry for the organiser's.
Are the organisers possibly the ones who are to blame? It's all out doors, badly timed, over priced and possibly not needed.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2793918)   #43
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
They should hold it in Mojacar. Jerry would agree
Old 21 Nov 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2793935)   #44
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
They should hold it in Mojacar. Jerry would agree
found the local racetrack the other day , a yamaha bike track day going on . just the place , or at a pinch the beach
Old 21 Nov 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2793972)   #45
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
found the local racetrack the other day , a yamaha bike track day going on . just the place , or at a pinch the beach
So you found the track, I'm normally up there seeing whats going on especially this time of the year as there is a lot of off season testing of works touring cars and Moto GP bikes.
Lots of bike trackdays go on all through the year and are pretty well organised with some from the UK.
Although I personally haven't driven round it I know the layout as I have walked around it several times over the years.
Loads of run off and sand traps without masses of armco to hit
Old 21 Nov 2010, 23:55 (Ref:2794020)   #46
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
I have to say that I spoke to the organisers after the event and they apologised because they did think that the layout could have been better, they experimented with some things and it didnt work out so they will change that next year and I dont think you can argue with that, providing they do change it which im sure they will. The weather doesnt make it easy, its a bleak time of the year really weather wise (unless you are in Mojacar (love the place) )

I was happy to be at Race Car Live if im honest, we met some great people had a good laugh and there were a good few who are considering the 360 now (and they will get their Race Car live discount too!)

My thanks to Terry and Julie for working so hard Saturday , To Jody Halse and Jamie for constantly selling 360 and for Jody bringing the E30 along in our livery (and his) to Al for bringing the samples and to all the people who said hello (and especially Peter for the coffee and cake!!)

Spare a thought for JohnGee...used to the warmth of Race Control and being in charge, relegated to the freezing cold in the outter paddock, it took him over an hour to warm up in the rising sun tonight before he would take his coat off!!!

We will certainly go back next year if the organisers stick to their word and rethink the layout

Autosport and Race Retro next!!
Old 22 Nov 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2794025)   #47
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with Claire (would I dare not to?) ......but seriously......It needs somebody who understands exhibition/show layouts and logistics to look at it with a 'clean sheet of paper' approach. Having said that the organisers were responsive and gave us some help.....sometimes being the 'new kid on the block' works to advantage and, maybe because our expectations were fairly low, i can't say we were disappointed. We made the best of what was there and I think it worked for 360MRC. - we had a good time and got some useful leads and enquiries for the 6 hours.
Thanks to all the people who helped, stopped by and said hello and gave us encouragement for what we're doing. Just thawed out but what do you expect in November?

Last edited by johngee; 22 Nov 2010 at 00:31.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2794170)   #48
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I agree with Claire (would I dare not to?) ......but seriously......It needs somebody who understands exhibition/show layouts and logistics to look at it with a 'clean sheet of paper' approach. Having said that the organisers were responsive and gave us some help.....sometimes being the 'new kid on the block' works to advantage and, maybe because our expectations were fairly low, i can't say we were disappointed. We made the best of what was there and I think it worked for 360MRC. - we had a good time and got some useful leads and enquiries for the 6 hours.
Thanks to all the people who helped, stopped by and said hello and gave us encouragement for what we're doing. Just thawed out but what do you expect in November?

To be able to share a fan heater?
Thanks again for looking after us Saturday evening,most enjoyable,and most welcome.360MRC certainly has got a wide band of interest,most of the people we spoke to on the day were well aware of what it is,who it is etc etc.Heres to the next stage!
Old 22 Nov 2010, 13:26 (Ref:2794229)   #49
Pistol Pete
Rookie

Scotland
Banbury
Pistol Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
...but you do get some muppets on these days (the ones without the race licences seem to be the worst no disrespect .) and within a lap someone had stuck their car into the gravel and caused a red flag!
We were down with a couple of Metro's for the weekend.

I was following the Fiesta when he did that yesterday morning. Straight out of the pits, big slides right/left/right all over the place down paddock. I decided to sit back & watch him stuff it from a distance. Sure enough, 3 corners later he was gone. There seemed to be a lot of "I'm in a racing car, I can go fast now" newbies (maybe some proper (ARDS) instructors are needed for those with no racing experience)".

I'm not sure if there was hardly anything at the show, or it was too spread out. On the plus side, loads more people now know about the metro cup & we could have a couple of new faces out with us next year & that's what it's all about.

Pete
Old 22 Nov 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2794230)   #50
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I see the bloke take that black Land Rover for an excursion down the lower straight, he very sensibly backed off next time round! Not quite the vehicle for a race track. I thought the Smarts looked interesting, shall we hold a book for the date the first one rolls!