Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Jan 2020, 23:11 (Ref:3950947)   #1176
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GP cars from the '50's;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5847.JPG   IMG_5882.JPG   IMG_5854.JPG  

Lancia 2.JPG   IMG_6374.JPG   IMG_6359.JPG  

Old 10 Jan 2020, 23:14 (Ref:3950949)   #1177
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And sports cars;
Attached Thumbnails
069.JPG   IMG_4841.JPG   RBi (2).JPG  

IMG_2879.jpg   IMG_5126.JPG   IMG_5132.JPG  

Old 10 Jan 2020, 23:15 (Ref:3950950)   #1178
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
It's a Lister Jaguar Coupe Viv, any fool knows that, well I did.
You mean "As any fule kno".

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 11 Jan 2020, 08:26 (Ref:3950977)   #1179
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re the Scarab in post 1176, it could have only been designed in the 50's the 1st car was completed in March 1960. During 1960 the car was entered in 6 of the 10 GP's, The cars did not make Argentina, Faied to start in Holland & France, did not qualify at Monaco, both cars retiring in Belgium and just one car entered & fnished at USA. The cars sole GP finish was tenthh, So only 3 starts all in 1960 and just one finish.

Last edited by rbs; 11 Jan 2020 at 08:30. Reason: not finished
Old 11 Jan 2020, 09:05 (Ref:3950980)   #1180
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's a Lister Jaguar Coupe Viv, any fool knows that, well I did.
Don't be so hard on yourself Baub, I never think that you're just any fool...
Old 11 Jan 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3950981)   #1181
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Re the Scarab in post 1176, it could have only been designed in the 50's the 1st car was completed in March 1960. During 1960 the car was entered in 6 of the 10 GP's, The cars did not make Argentina, Faied to start in Holland & France, did not qualify at Monaco, both cars retiring in Belgium and just one car entered & fnished at USA. The cars sole GP finish was tenthh, So only 3 starts all in 1960 and just one finish.
I did not include the Monza Jaguar, because I knew you would take issue with that as well.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 09:14 (Ref:3950982)   #1182
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself Baub, I never think that you're just any fool...
You mean I'm, and M&S fool?
Old 11 Jan 2020, 09:20 (Ref:3950983)   #1183
bauble
Veteran

England
Must keep the mix going;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9550.JPG   IMG_9564.JPG   IMG_9589.JPG  

IMG_9597.JPG   IMG_9609.JPG   IMG_8827.JPG  

Old 11 Jan 2020, 12:49 (Ref:3951004)   #1184
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I did not include the Monza Jaguar, because I knew you would take issue with that as well.
That one is a different ball game as it was not a GP car. It was built for the 1958 version of the race of Two Worlds at Monza where Indy type cars raced against F1 sports cars as in 1957. The Lister Jaguar single seat car proved to be slower than the Ecurie Ecosse D types, although Fairman did beat the d types in Heat 1 despite being several laps behind the winning Indy car. One of the D types failed to start heat 2 and the Lister finished several laps down again. It failed to start heat 3 which was won by the Indy Car again and he was awarded the race.
The race was only run in 57 & 58 and the Lister ran just the once before reappearing several years later.

Any pictures of the other 1 offs that took part Bob?
Old 11 Jan 2020, 16:51 (Ref:3951036)   #1185
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
That one is a different ball game as it was not a GP car. It was built for the 1958 version of the race of Two Worlds at Monza where Indy type cars raced against F1 sports cars as in 1957. The Lister Jaguar single seat car proved to be slower than the Ecurie Ecosse D types, although Fairman did beat the d types in Heat 1 despite being several laps behind the winning Indy car. One of the D types failed to start heat 2 and the Lister finished several laps down again. It failed to start heat 3 which was won by the Indy Car again and he was awarded the race.
The race was only run in 57 & 58 and the Lister ran just the once before reappearing several years later.

Any pictures of the other 1 offs that took part Bob?
The only other one I recall was the 'Ice Cream' Maserati. and I don't think it ever raced at Silverstone.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 18:27 (Ref:3951045)   #1186
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
The only other one I recall was the 'Ice Cream' Maserati. and I don't think it ever raced at Silverstone.
There was also a one off Ferrari built for 58, well fairly sure it was a one off.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 19:41 (Ref:3951055)   #1187
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ah, the (Maserati) Eldorado as driven at Monza by Sir Stirling, until he had a bit of an off. The only other race it ever ran was the following years Indy 500, albeit without the Monza tail fin so definitely never made it to Silverstone as Bob said. Privately entered at Indy by the ice cream making sponsor (Eldorado), the first European race car to be sponsored by a non-automotive company, it failed to qualify, and never raced again.

Edit: Found an interesting article / race report of the 1958 Monza race in MotorSport:
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-500-mile-race

Last edited by E.B; 11 Jan 2020 at 19:57. Reason: Added link to Motor Sport Mag 1958 race report
Old 11 Jan 2020, 20:17 (Ref:3951060)   #1188
bauble
Veteran

England
I'm feeling old tonight;
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0058.jpg   _MG_0060.jpg   _MG_0061.jpg  

_MG_0063.jpg   _MG_0178.jpg   _MG_0180.jpg  

Old 11 Jan 2020, 20:21 (Ref:3951063)   #1189
bauble
Veteran

England
Very old;
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0185.jpg   _MG_0188.jpg   _MG_0197.jpg  

_MG_0201.JPG   _MG_0199.JPG   _MG_0204.jpg  

Old 11 Jan 2020, 20:29 (Ref:3951065)   #1190
bauble
Veteran

England
Still these always cheer me up;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5952.JPG   IMG_5974.JPG   IMG_5973.JPG  

IMG_5979.JPG   IMG_6006.JPG   IMG_5994.JPG  

Old 11 Jan 2020, 22:51 (Ref:3951094)   #1191
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You mean I'm, and M&S fool?

Really enjoying this thread Bob, even though I have no idea what a lot of the cars are.
Old 12 Jan 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3951219)   #1192
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob, thanks for posting the photos. I've just finished looking from page 40 onwards, roughly where I last saw it, and really enjoyed it. Now going to look at the calendar to plan events to visit.
Old 12 Jan 2020, 23:52 (Ref:3951282)   #1193
bauble
Veteran

England
Thank you chaps for your kind remarks, it is not often I get much on this forum.
A few nice old cars, older even than me.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0321.JPG   _MG_0042.jpg   _MG_0051.JPG  

_MG_0073.jpg   _MG_0329.jpg   _MG_0325.JPG  

Old 12 Jan 2020, 23:55 (Ref:3951283)   #1194
bauble
Veteran

England
An odds & Sods batch to mull over.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0140.JPG   _MG_0097.JPG   _MG_0119.JPG  

_MG_0101.jpg   IMG_7993.JPG   IMG_7992.JPG  

Old 12 Jan 2020, 23:58 (Ref:3951285)   #1195
bauble
Veteran

England
An back to my era, the fifties, and some beautiful sports cars to drool over;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5940.JPG   IMG_5985.JPG   IMG_5969.JPG  

IMG_6030.JPG   IMG_6044.JPG   IMG_6029.JPG  

Old 13 Jan 2020, 00:06 (Ref:3951287)   #1196
bauble
Veteran

England
One more lot then I'm off to bed; Goodnight all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6026.JPG   IMG_6044c.jpg   IMG_6056.JPG  

IMG_6060.JPG   IMG_6046.JPG   IMG_6063.JPG  

Old 13 Jan 2020, 05:53 (Ref:3951310)   #1197
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good to see the old cars still in action. You deserve a rest after all this posting
Old 13 Jan 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3951357)   #1198
bauble
Veteran

England
Another day, another …….
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8678.JPG   IMG_8691.JPG   IMG_8693.JPG  

IMG_6692.JPG   IMG_6693.JPG   IMG_6697.JPG  

Old 13 Jan 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3951358)   #1199
bauble
Veteran

England
What have we here?
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0294.jpg   _MG_0313.JPG   _MG_0391.jpg  

_MG_0394.JPG   _MG_0402y.JPG   Revival Friday 001 (181).jpg  

Old 13 Jan 2020, 15:33 (Ref:3951359)   #1200
bauble
Veteran

England
Lovely jubbly;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4702.JPG   IMG_4743.JPG   IMG_4777.JPG  

IMG_5996.JPG   IMG_6012.JPG   IMG_6095.JPG