Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Oct 2019, 19:56 (Ref:3931975)   #5076
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Bob, happy to supply photos of tenthers from my travels this year if you have any gaps. D
There is an offer we can't refuse, thanks David, but please note no commission will be paid.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 20:43 (Ref:3931979)   #5077
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bob,

I wasn't allowed to have a bike, so didn't travel very far as a lad. I did however follow Graham Hill and watched anything he was involved with. I knew and respected Jim Clark but GH was my hero. I know exactly where I was and the lady who was in my car at the time the radio announced Graham's death.

Still resonates now so I know how you feel.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 23:04 (Ref:3932001)   #5078
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Bob,

I wasn't allowed to have a bike, so didn't travel very far as a lad. I did however follow Graham Hill and watched anything he was involved with. I knew and respected Jim Clark but GH was my hero. I know exactly where I was and the lady who was in my car at the time the radio announced Graham's death.

Still resonates now so I know how you feel.
Graham, of course, won the World Championship for BRM my favourite marque, so he was also some one I admired. Working in Borehamwood I cycled past the sight of the crash regularly, and it certainly left a somewhat macabre vision in my mind.

PS I was allowed a bike but not a 'lady'
Old 5 Oct 2019, 05:24 (Ref:3932031)   #5079
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I was allowed a bike but not a 'lady'
Same for me! A real shame I'd say. But thirty and more years later if you ask me I'll tell you remembering and regretting all the ones I had. I mean the bikes
Sorry, no offense here Bob, specially if you had your b……ks trapped in the rear wheel spikes. It hurts!
Old 5 Oct 2019, 20:11 (Ref:3932130)   #5080
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone's bored there is a podcast on Youtube with Jarrah Venables, the guy who created the Endurance Legends series in Peter Auto meetings.

Really interesting as he also talks about his work at Goodwood and cars in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHgHbSZ1wR0&t=2996s
Old 6 Oct 2019, 08:31 (Ref:3932225)   #5081
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Haven’t had time to listen yet, but Jarrah did an awful lot of work in the past to get interesting and appropriate cars for The Revival.

A valuable asset to PA, I’m sure.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3932229)   #5082
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Haven’t had time to listen yet, but Jarrah did an awful lot of work in the past to get interesting and appropriate cars for The Revival.

A valuable asset to PA, I’m sure.
Certainly, the grids of cars he has managed to assemble for example at Le Mans Classic and thoroughout this year have been pretty stunning.

Will be interesting if they race or demo again at Le Mans next year. Be grest to see the Toyota GT One back. That was just fabulous and the Panoz, Bentley, Chevrolet, Mclaren, Porsche, Maserati. I could go on for a while.

Really good to see newer cars and seeing the Speed 8 which I remember playing on a game years and years ago and seeing race this year was probably one of the highlights for me.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3932275)   #5083
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bit pee’d off watching BSB Donington- it’s dry! Was raining here when I got up early this morning and has been continually since. Gather some rail services cancelled due to flooding. No idea if there is racing at Snett, but would guess it would have been cancelled this morn.......
Old 6 Oct 2019, 16:44 (Ref:3932294)   #5084
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Bit pee’d off watching BSB Donington- it’s dry! Was raining here when I got up early this morning and has been continually since. Gather some rail services cancelled due to flooding. No idea if there is racing at Snett, but would guess it would have been cancelled this morn.......
Chill and a bit windy much of the time and a few light spots of rain once in a while but also a few brief sunny periods.

It was very noticeable how much noisier the Supersports are compared to the Superbikes. Higher frequency of course and a very narrow rev band used.

According to the live timing the Supersports are about 20mph slower at the main speed trap which I assume was set up for what used to be called the Dunlop Straight.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3932311)   #5085
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Getting bored waiting for ferry at Portsmouth . Looking at FB to pass the time and there are reports that Autosport is stopping .
Old 6 Oct 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3932316)   #5086
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Getting bored waiting for ferry at Portsmouth . Looking at FB to pass the time and there are reports that Autosport is stopping .
Some rumours floating around on Twitter tonight about Autosport, F1 Racing and MN. Joe Saward commented saying he'd heard the same stories so maybe something in it? Something about massive price hikes for print editions to force people into online only.

Lots of conflicting stories / rumours at the moment.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 21:27 (Ref:3932331)   #5087
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Some rumours floating around on Twitter tonight about Autosport, F1 Racing and MN. Joe Saward commented saying he'd heard the same stories so maybe something in it? Something about massive price hikes for print editions to force people into online only.

Lots of conflicting stories / rumours at the moment.

I sincerely hope that Kevin will be OK, whatever is happening.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 06:08 (Ref:3932375)   #5088
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Full story is floating around on this site with links. But I'm old and can't link to it via my phone app

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Oct 2019, 06:11 (Ref:3932376)   #5089
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be you can send a self erasable text using… Tapa-chalk!
Old 7 Oct 2019, 06:11 (Ref:3932377)   #5090
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What's the name of the website Max?
Old 7 Oct 2019, 06:24 (Ref:3932379)   #5091
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://motorsportbroadcasting...E7C...SuYAT18Nd6KS9A

Just been on Twitter and the following tells a story

You can't run a big magazine on so few readers.

Old 7 Oct 2019, 06:26 (Ref:3932381)   #5092
midgetman
Veteran

Someone told me print is making a comeback. I'm not so sure.

Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:08 (Ref:3932385)   #5093
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Someone told me print is making a comeback. I'm not so sure.
Like vinyl or 8mm cine film?

Very sad if it happens, and a great shame for those employed by Haymarket, but the cost of buying glossy weekly mags is prohibitive for many folk nowadays. I read Autosport on a tablet via a subscription app that has countless titles from all over the world, but I guess it's a digitised print copy, so maybe that option would disappear as well......
Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3932387)   #5094
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It looks like the Formula Money owner is speculating. Agreed it is based on that distribution but this may become a self fulfilling prophecy, thereby putting a number of people out of work!

He's ignoring Autosport International, which must be a good profit centre. Likewise the web subscriptions must also support the business. The paper copy is for weekly ad hoc sales and I don't know about anyone on here, but if I go to get a copy on a Saturday there is usually none to be had.

He's also probably in the pay of someone with an interest in the market.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3932388)   #5095
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Like vinyl or 8mm cine film?

Very sad if it happens, and a great shame for those employed by Haymarket, but the cost of buying glossy weekly mags is prohibitive for many folk nowadays. I read Autosport on a tablet via a subscription app that has countless titles from all over the world, but I guess it's a digitised print copy, so maybe that option would disappear as well......
Very sad indeed, if it is true. I bought Autosport religiously every week from 1972-2004, only stopping when I moved here & just buying an occasional copy when in England. It has dropped-off quite considerably in recent years, although I bought one in England the week before Goodwood & thought it had improved somewhat - Kevin's influence is very obvious & he is to be congratulated.

For me, the most worrying thing is that there will no longer be a source to look back for information etc. I've picked-up one or two early sixties issues in recent times for some research & they are surprisingly informative.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:28 (Ref:3932389)   #5096
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Bit more info in this thread.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...67#post3932367
Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:34 (Ref:3932390)   #5097
midgetman
Veteran

Yes it's probably best to keep comments to one thread.

This one has more info

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Oh, I hope this works for those of you not on Tapatalk

Old 7 Oct 2019, 07:36 (Ref:3932391)   #5098
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed, I'll copy the relevant posts to the Armchair Thread. A bit tidier.

Done.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 7 Oct 2019 at 07:47.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3932415)   #5099
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just a thought I know you might think that’s odd coming form me . Have they thought about about becoming a monthly motor sport mag ..
Old 7 Oct 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3932418)   #5100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You mean, like Motorsport?

I think we will find they all go internet which is a great shame.