Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:27 (Ref:3941610)   #76
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Bold move to go to Portimao early in the year . Do you know what that might just work. Still waiting for F2 dates .
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:35 (Ref:3941611)   #77
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HRDC's calendar shows that they are at Thruxton over the weekend of 6/7th June so that is likely to be the date of Thruxton's historic meeting . The same weekend as the HSCC Donington meeting . Hopefully the MRL HTCC series isn't going to clash with the HSCC Dunlop Saloon Car Cup .
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:40 (Ref:3941612)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for posting those Sam, saved me the effort!

Reduced number of events (3) for the two FiA championships, others being NC, and two stand alone Mini races- Donny and Silverstone.

Algarve in April? Will be interesting to see if competitors get offered free hotel rooms like when racing at the Classic. Not sure if all is well with the later meeting at the AIA, as a recent email from the Iberian Historic Endurance organiser was asking 'customers' to vote on whether they want to go back or change to a different date.....
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3941614)   #79
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
The HRDC's calendar shows that they are at Thruxton over the weekend of 6/7th June so that is likely to be the date of Thruxton's historic meeting . The same weekend as the HSCC Donington meeting . Hopefully the MRL HTCC series isn't going to clash with the HSCC Dunlop Saloon Car Cup .
Yes, I've seen that date as well, so you're probably reading that right.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3941615)   #80
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A shame, that the Oldtimer GP is missing at the Masters Calender.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3941618)   #81
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
MEL supporting two ELMS rounds. That is a terrific tie-up, I hope it continues to grow. A Le Mans race would be wonderful.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3941620)   #82
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
MEL supporting two ELMS rounds. That is a terrific tie-up, I hope it continues to grow. A Le Mans race would be wonderful.
Peter Auto Endurance Legends will be at LM Classic- that's the closest so far to the 'real' 24! Wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the next year or two...
Old 19 Nov 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3941653)   #83
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see the Test Day back.

Surprised about Nurburgring omission.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3941654)   #84
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the FIA championships have more non points scoring rounds than points scoring ones.

Probably down to the fact that not many people did all the rounds or most of them due to the nature of historics.

Last edited by Willmaz223; 19 Nov 2019 at 17:35.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3941655)   #85
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's sadly a fact of life that we are all getting older. That means that the cost of racing starts to come second. Without new "young" blood the sport is going to struggle. Frankly chasing championships is for the young bloods, most racers want to win but the stress of a championship campaign is too wearing. I have been there and it was not as much fun as I'd hoped.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3941659)   #86
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
So the FIA championships have more non points scoring rounds than points scoring ones. Probably down to the fact that not many people did all the rounds or most of them due to the nature of historics.
I suspect that reducing the FiA championships to 3 rounds from 7 will reduce Masters overheads- probably considerably! The Federation involvement will come at a cost..... Silverstone, Zandvoort and Spa have been popular with drivers in past seasons, so will hopefully have reasonable grids.
Old 20 Nov 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3941768)   #87
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
According to Classic Car Weekly today, MG Live! will be held on June 13th & 14th in 2020. It is the Club’s 90th anniversary as well.....

There’s more- HSCC are planning two sub-classes in 70s Road Sports for Sprites and Midgets of 1275 & 1498cc. To be sponsored by Peter May Engineering. Presume they will have to comply to same technical regs as other cars?

Last edited by Mike Bell; 20 Nov 2019 at 14:16.
Old 20 Nov 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3941769)   #88
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.mgcc.co.uk/mglive/

Shame, I'll be at Le Mans.
Old 20 Nov 2019, 19:46 (Ref:3941820)   #89
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Autumn Classic meeting at Castle Combe is listed as a 2 day event on their site, 3rd and 4th October.
Old 20 Nov 2019, 20:00 (Ref:3941823)   #90
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
The Autumn Classic meeting at Castle Combe is listed as a 2 day event on their site, 3rd and 4th October.
Yes, and seems from organisers calendars published so far that grids will be there one day or the other, but not both......
Old 21 Nov 2019, 19:39 (Ref:3941995)   #91
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well now that Goodwood have released details of all of the races for the 78th Members' Meeting we can now confirm that the opening race of the season for the 500cc F3 cars will be the 15 minute Don Parker Trophy race at Goodwood.
Hope we have an early start to summer sunshine in 2020!
Stuart
Old 25 Nov 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3942736)   #92
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Thruxton have announced their 2020 calendar and I can confirm that their Historic meeting is on the weekend of 6th/7th June . Known last year as the Thruxton Motorsport Celebration it appears that in 2020 the meeting will be called the Thruxton Historic so maybe will have a greater Historic content next year . Any chance of Historic Formula Two maybe ?
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:07 (Ref:3942738)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
.................... Thruxton Historic so maybe will have a greater Historic content next year . Any chance of Historic Formula Two maybe ?
That would indeed be excellent. The old Easter meetings were a highlight of the season for me.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3942739)   #94
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
That would indeed be excellent. The old Easter meetings were a highlight of the season for me.
Me too, probably the first ever racing I saw on TV (BBC Grandstand), along with a Special Saloon race featuring Gerry Marshall and Nick Whiting, i think. Hooked ever since.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3942745)   #95
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, Easter Meeting ambience would be good, but without the Easter weather Thruxton experienced a few years ago! (As you can see from the attire these gents are wearing..... )

Sadly the weekend clashes with Dijon l’Age d’Or.
Attached Thumbnails
93045EB8-30E6-461E-86BB-10A7DFD5BDE2.jpg  
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3942746)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah yes, it was either baking sunshine or sleet and gales.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3942749)   #97
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
I went to every Easter Monday meeting from 1976 to 1984 and can't remember a wet Formula Two race . Mind you 1985 ( European Formula 3000 ) and 1986 ( Interserie ) made up for it . Then there was the Easter Moday Revival meeting in 2014 where the rain fell in torrents of biblical proportions !
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3942750)   #98
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I recall 1977 was bloody freezing and very windy.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3942755)   #99
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
You're quite right Peter , I remember it well . Patrese led until pitting with a puncture allowing Brian Henton and the Boxer through to win . I also remember wandering around the paddock after the meeting when the last race winning Ferrari 312P being pushed back from post race scrutineering had a very low speed collision with the F2 winning Boxer which was being pushed down the paddock at right angles and unsighted . The Ferrari crew looked very embarrassed although these days the embarrassment would probably be the other way round .
Old 25 Nov 2019, 15:11 (Ref:3942756)   #100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
IIRC a Gulf Porsche was on display in the outer circuit spectator area. Nothing around it other than people. No need for security in those days. The meeting had a round of the Wendy Wools series plus a BSCC round with some hulking great Camaros in the field. Watching them through Allard with the bump in the middle was "interesting".

It was one of the best meetings of the year. Such a shame it fell into disuse.