Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Oct 2002, 21:16 (Ref:407512)   #1
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New GTS car? why not McLaren F1 GTR longtail?

Why does no one race them in FIAGT or ALMS? There are two in the JGTC (in Japan), I was wondering if they would be legal for at least the new Carbon Fibre GTS class (GTC? )

Anyone got the answer to this? They'd certainly be competitive.... 630+bhp with 2x35.2mm restrictors. Stacks of torque, mountains of downforce, and unrivalled top speed.

Drivers? JJ Lehto and Yannick Dalmas or how bout Jan and Brabs?!!

What do you guys reckon?
Old 18 Oct 2002, 21:21 (Ref:407517)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carbon fiber, they're not legal in GTS yet. Even once they are, they might still be under the homologation numbers.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 21:31 (Ref:407531)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Carbon fiber, they're not legal in GTS yet. Even once they are, they might still be under the homologation numbers.
Like Splatz, they're one of my favourites too. I'd love to see them back.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 21:46 (Ref:407547)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The short-tail car would have enough road cars to be homologated but the problem is whether the homologation is still in place. Saying that why could it not be re-homologated considering the 550 was homologated without any factory help.

Also with superior cars to the F1 appearing in GTS soon with the Masarati Enzo and Ferrari Enzo, plus the Carrera GT, Zonda etc why would anyone use an older F1 GTR.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 23:14 (Ref:407637)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Okay... This has been bugging me for a while. This is _only_ place where I've heard the phrase "Maserati Enzo". Will someone please show me that this car exists? It sounds like one person got Ferrari and Maserati confused and now his gaff is spreading to other people.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 23:34 (Ref:407653)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It does exist. It was in Autosport in May or June that Masarati wanted to enter Sportscars, either with a LMP or GT. They then decided to enter GTS with a purpose built car based on the Enzo chassis with a twin turbo V8. Last week the project was finally given the green light and now Masarati are now waithing for the final rules for carbon GTS cars (as they may be sligthly different from normal GTS).

Ferrari now run Masarati and Montezememolo wants to put Masarati back into international racing. Masarati in top level sportscars, Ferrari in F1.

The Masarati Trophy one make car is the first step with the 'Enzo' coming out sometime in 2004.

Ratels proposal for 100 cars to qualify for GTS was blocked by Ferrari. Why would Ferrari do this if the Ferrari Enzo is going to be made in much greater numbers than 100, because Masarati would only have to build 25 of there Enzo based car for homologation.

Giorgio Ascanelli (Masarati technical boss):'Masarati is coming back to GT racing. We can't say more until the rules are finalised' from last weeks Autosport.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 23:58 (Ref:407672)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Ah, okay then, thanks.

I was hoping Maserati'd do an LMP in '04...
Old 19 Oct 2002, 00:01 (Ref:407674)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
Someone, who says he's in the know, says there is discusion at Ferrari/Masarati about whether the Masarati Enzo would enter GTS OR LMGTP. Afterall with Bently type bodywork they MIGHT be able to go for overall, rather than class wins.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 09:53 (Ref:407824)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for the McLaren, to rehomologate (to my knowledge it is still not allowed to rehomologate an ex-GT1 car as GT2) you'd need a current production run. The road car must be in production and on offer at the time of the homologation. Unlikely.

As for the Maserati project (which WILL perhaps exist but I don't think it physically EXISTS yet), come on guys - why do you keep calling it the "Maserati Enzo"??? Enzo Ferrari was the Maserati bros.' fiercest rival. It's just wrong (and yes it matters). If this car makes it into production and on the track, it most certainly won't be called "Enzo"!
Old 19 Oct 2002, 10:02 (Ref:407831)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cyber perhaps the current marketing people at Ferrari don't know that - they just thought it sounded good!

As for the McClaren I think you are spot on with the reasons.

It is interesting that they are considering it for LMGTP! It would be nice, but then I wouldn't complain if it was entered in GTS. Perhaps the engine could be used in some LMP chassis?
Old 19 Oct 2002, 11:07 (Ref:407858)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Cyber perhaps the current marketing people at Ferrari don't know that - they just thought it sounded good!
They called the Ferrari "Enzo" which is alright I guess - a bit speculative if you ask me - imagine a Porsche "Ferdinand", a Ford "Henry", a TVR "Trevor". Are they themselves referring to the proposed Maserati as "Enzo" as well? I don't really think so.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 11:29 (Ref:407868)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The TVR Trevor. Has a ring to it!
Old 19 Oct 2002, 11:42 (Ref:407881)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Some companies just can't do this.
Volkswagen "Adolf"?
Old 19 Oct 2002, 12:59 (Ref:407926)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
Calling the Masarati Enzo, the Enzo, is just a convinient shorthand so people understand what you are talking about. It is afterall based on the Ferrari Enzo. Ferrari now run Masarati. Jaguar and Aston Martin used to be rivals but are now owned by the same company.

Last edited by JAG; 19 Oct 2002 at 13:01.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 16:06 (Ref:408002)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
no kidding
Jamie and Piers have nothing to do with it btw.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 16:50 (Ref:408028)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
lol
Old 19 Oct 2002, 17:11 (Ref:408040)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Someone, who says he's in the know, says there is discusion at Ferrari/Masarati about whether the Masarati Enzo would enter GTS OR LMGTP. Afterall with Bently type bodywork they MIGHT be able to go for overall, rather than class wins.
Hmm... Exactly why I miss having a GT1 class that can compete for overall wins.

If you can build and homologate a car insane enough to win overall with the right rules package, why the heck should you have to decide between possibly being totally outgunned in GTP, or weighing the car down with ballast and restrictors for GTS?

Besides, GT1-2-3 is easier to explain to novices.

The only thing really wrong with FIA GT1 was the lack of an effective homologation requirement.

After Petit LeMans, though, my past love for prototypes is now renewed...

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 19 Oct 2002 at 17:15.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 17:13 (Ref:408041)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
LMGTP really is GT1, unfoertunately its not part of FIA GTs anymore.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 17:17 (Ref:408045)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, well, I'm talking more about the early GT1 class, before Mercedes, Porsche and Toyota ruined it. When it had Ferrari F40s, McLaren F1s... Cool stuff like that.

30 copies sounds reasonable, doesn't it? Perhaps with a caveat requiring 400 copies of the engine block to prevent F1 engines?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 19 Oct 2002 at 17:23.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 17:22 (Ref:408049)   #20
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The McLaren couldn't be homologated even IF it was still being built. The basic road car would be too technically advanced for the GTS (GT3) class as is the Lister.

Damn shame in my oppinion

Last edited by jase; 19 Oct 2002 at 17:23.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 17:24 (Ref:408051)   #21
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Wait a sec... Isn't GTS roughly equivalent to GT2, not GT3?
Old 19 Oct 2002, 17:37 (Ref:408068)   #22
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saleen's shape does remind me the McLaren F1

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 19 Oct 2002, 17:53 (Ref:408079)   #23
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
Saleen's shape does remind me the McLaren F1
I can a bit of a Porsche GT1 in the S7R
Old 19 Oct 2002, 17:57 (Ref:408085)   #24
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Wait a sec... Isn't GTS roughly equivalent to GT2, not GT3?
Yup.
ACO-GTS = FIA-GT = GT2
ACO-GT = FIA-N-GT = GT3
Old 19 Oct 2002, 17:57 (Ref:408086)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
The McLaren couldn't be homologated even IF it was still being built. The basic road car would be too technically advanced for the GTS (GT3) class as is the Lister.

Damn shame in my oppinion
GTS is GT2 with a little more freedom in recent years. When carbon chassis are allowed in 2003 the Zonda, Enzo, Carrera GT will be allowed as would the F1 GTR if the homologation issue was dealt with.

Must say I loved the F40LM. Seen it race in Historic Group C a few times in the last few years and it sounds awsome.