Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Nov 2023, 08:14 (Ref:4184517)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2024 Variable Team Pit Garage Allocation?

2024’s Variable Pit Lane Allocation

Good idea? Or another V8Supercar distraction..?

I do wonder whether the mob that bring these ideas to the people with the green pen able to tick off such initiatives have canvassed their constituents.

It is probably reasonable to assume, but not a guarantee, that the teams at the sharp end of pit lane will be there or there abouts, and those nicely described by Mr Tuckey in his Great Race books as being at the ‘Winton’ end of pit lane will probably be there too.

Except..

The underlying assumption seems to be that every pit garage is the same size.
Except that they are not.
There are different locations for power and connectivity as well
The entry and exit points are different too

And most squads on their game have a software (probably an excel tool but maybe there is a space management product in place) to lay out the pit garage, all the advertising hoardings, the tool boxes, fuel systems, workshop modules and every other paraphernalia

Has V8Supercar provided teams with these dimensions, drawings and maybe even images before hand?

It becomes important because in some locations, stuff just doesn’t fit compared to a comfy location like Bathurst.

I’m sure they thought of all of that..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Nov 2023, 20:37 (Ref:4184626)   #2
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valid points GTRMagic, seems like some guru has had a brain fart and thought this will be a game changer in supercar land!

Perhaps in season 2024, we could run say Symmons Plains on Saturday clockwise and then Sunday anticlockwise?
Bathurst that opens up endless possibilities, for the great race!
Old 5 Nov 2023, 22:32 (Ref:4184652)   #3
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Good idea for variable pit lane allocation but Jamie is concerned.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/11/05...pit-lane-plan/
Old 5 Nov 2023, 22:52 (Ref:4184655)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Good idea for variable pit lane allocation but Jamie is concerned.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/11/05...pit-lane-plan/
Same article linked by GTR a couple of posts above.

Personally I think that it's a really dumb idea that achieves precisely.......nothing at all. those who work or have worked in a pit lane know that fixed positions for the year are a good thing - everyone gets into a "rhythm", knowing who is where and working with each other when it comes to pit stops, and judging releases in particular.

Currently, a car controller can see what other cars are coming down the lane and judge release of their car based on the "rhythm" of knowing garage order and who is adjacent, particularly who might be entering their own pit bay just past your own at a similar time to you releasing your car.

Changing the allocation through the year throws that "rhythm" out and may indeed cause safety issues - and at the same time provide no benefit.

Ultimately, it may all work because the teams make it work but it seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 6 Nov 2023, 00:28 (Ref:4184663)   #5
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Same article linked by GTR a couple of posts above.

Personally I think that it's a really dumb idea that achieves precisely.......nothing at all. those who work or have worked in a pit lane know that fixed positions for the year are a good thing - everyone gets into a "rhythm", knowing who is where and working with each other when it comes to pit stops, and judging releases in particular.

Currently, a car controller can see what other cars are coming down the lane and judge release of their car based on the "rhythm" of knowing garage order and who is adjacent, particularly who might be entering their own pit bay just past your own at a similar time to you releasing your car.

Changing the allocation through the year throws that "rhythm" out and may indeed cause safety issues - and at the same time provide no benefit.

Ultimately, it may all work because the teams make it work but it seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
If Jamie doesn't like it then I'm all for it.
Old 6 Nov 2023, 01:01 (Ref:4184667)   #6
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
If Jamie doesn't like it then I'm all for it.
Old 7 Nov 2023, 09:18 (Ref:4184895)   #7
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think the teams championship order really changes all that much throughout the year.
Old 17 Nov 2023, 11:28 (Ref:4186229)   #8
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So whats with all the drama of Unfixed Pit Bays,

Surely the "main or end" pit bay also has its disadvanges.

Sometimes the "wait" for having to wait for cars trafficking down the pit lane can also be disadvantageous - if you arnt out the front of the field.

Im sure theres swings and roundabouts.

I like the change, adds some spice to it,
Old 17 Nov 2023, 22:37 (Ref:4186302)   #9
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post

Sometimes the "wait" for having to wait for cars trafficking down the pit lane can also be disadvantageous - if you arnt out the front of the field.

Agree, I suppose that it could be easier to find and exit your pit bay if it is at the end so it could make for a more level playing field if there is any advantage.
Old 20 Nov 2023, 01:13 (Ref:4186543)   #10
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post

The complaints have been more of "the special extension cord will had made for pit bay number 1 in Townsville isn't long enough if we are in pit bay number 2".
Old 20 Nov 2023, 06:22 (Ref:4186551)   #11
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is the dumbest idea ever and surely there will be accidents as a result?
Old 20 Nov 2023, 07:51 (Ref:4186556)   #12
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
This is the dumbest idea ever and surely there will be accidents as a result?
Seems to work ok in the US series (NASCAR / Indy). I don’t see the drama.
Old 20 Nov 2023, 15:41 (Ref:4186625)   #13
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyobi View Post
Seems to work ok in the US series (NASCAR / Indy). I don’t see the drama.

Utterly different pit lane designs / layouts used for those series compared to Supercars. Really can’t compare them but they’ve had some big incidents in those US racing setups - way more than have occurred in Supercars.
Old 20 Nov 2023, 16:23 (Ref:4186641)   #14
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is quite normal in European motorsport. In the DTM and similar racing series, it is stipulated in the regulations that the order in the pit lane rotates.
The GT World Challenge Europe Endurance Cup also manages this without any problems with 60 cars.

I think that the Supercars teams are far too much in line and whine too much, although there are clearly important things that could be criticised.
Old 20 Nov 2023, 22:24 (Ref:4186701)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
This is quite normal in European motorsport. In the DTM and similar racing series, it is stipulated in the regulations that the order in the pit lane rotates.
The GT World Challenge Europe Endurance Cup also manages this without any problems with 60 cars.

I think that the Supercars teams are far too much in line and whine too much, although there are clearly important things that could be criticised.
Yeah, you could be right on your second point - nature of competitive people to some extent (as we see in F1).

I take your point re the pit lane positions changing in euro motorsport and I expect that the teams here will adapt but it still seems to me that it's a change that increases risk to address a non-existent problem. Genuinely hope that nothing bad comes from it.
Old 24 Nov 2023, 07:54 (Ref:4187102)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Erebus Benefactor Unamused By Change To Live Pit Lane Order
Old 25 Feb 2024, 05:51 (Ref:4198168)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

It’s a bit mixed up..
Old 24 Apr 2024, 10:14 (Ref:4206256)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Horse Trading In The Pitlane

Maybe the V8Supercar mob should regulate the drive thru, priority, double stack considerations too..