Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2001, 14:42 (Ref:84456)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lauda had hinted that to bring Jaguar to the front this year would require a new car...does that mean a totally revised R2 by the middle of the year, after the August break?

Currently, the R2 is a very sucky car. Poor chassis, handling, and reliability makes it a mid-field at best.
The last time i could recall seeing a totally revised car mid season was Ferrari in 1996, who switched from a low-nose car by Barnard to a revised high nose by Rory Bryne. I heard that it is extremely expensive a process, which could affect the next year's car design.

But isnt it great if Jaguar could run a hybrid between the R2 and the next R3! They could use the developement work on the R3 in the revised R2 body, and leap to the front to challenge the Jordans...
Old 24 Apr 2001, 14:46 (Ref:84458)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
They could use the developement work on the R3 in the revised R2 body, and leap to the front to challenge the Jordans...
I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 25 Apr 2001, 01:49 (Ref:84621)   #3
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't either. It's not that easy.
Old 25 Apr 2001, 02:46 (Ref:84640)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
By hte time Jaguar can get the design tested in the wind tunnel, and tehn track tested, the season would nearly be over. They simply have to get their act together and get to the stage where thay can do some serious track testing as soon as possible. I for one am sorry that FORD are doing so poorly, I drive a Volvo.
Old 25 Apr 2001, 03:10 (Ref:84648)   #5
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose I should be sorry about Ford as well, I drive a Mazda!
Developing a new car would be very difficult this year, unless they've realized their mistake and have started already,which they should have done regardless. Time's a wastin'......
Old 25 Apr 2001, 17:36 (Ref:84885)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I have said on numerous occasins, I have a sneaking suspicion that Jaguar will come good in the next couple of seasons.

Once they get their funding and facilities sorted and a management that works like a TEAM again, they'll be alright. The engine's reasonable, if unreliable, but that will come. The chassis is up there with Prosts for "worst on the grid" awards, but again, that can only improve. If they keep Irvine and PDLR they'll have one of THE strongest driver lineups on the grid, bar none. The future's bright, the future's... green!
Old 26 Apr 2001, 04:00 (Ref:85156)   #7
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
If they keep Irvine and PDLR they'll have one of THE strongest driver lineups on the grid, bar none.
LOL ... The Jag driver line-up has been the weakest part of the whole team - and thus the field - in this and the previous season. Don't fool yourself, even Ford management knows that. They are really desperate. If Coulthard really wants to score double wages in his last seasons he should jump ship next year. They'll pay anything for something of a driver.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 08:07 (Ref:85203)   #8
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does everyone have against Irvine. And de la Rosa for that matter. Verstappen is widely regarded as a talented and quick driver yet when a driver who is learning his trade can outqualify him and outrace him he's not taken seriously as a talent. Irvine is one of the hardest working drivers out there, and one of the quickest. That is what Ford know. The drivers haven't been the problem at Jaguar, the car and the management structure have.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 10:19 (Ref:85226)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
As I have said on numerous occasins, I have a sneaking suspicion that Jaguar will come good in the next couple of seasons.

Once they get their funding and facilities sorted and a management that works like a TEAM again, they'll be alright. The engine's reasonable, if unreliable, but that will come. The chassis is up there with Prosts for "worst on the grid" awards, but again, that can only improve. If they keep Irvine and PDLR they'll have one of THE strongest driver lineups on the grid, bar none. The future's bright, the future's... green!
I take it, you and AMoffat have been down to the pub all afternoon again!! Next, you two will be telling me that Ralf is no good!!
Old 26 Apr 2001, 14:28 (Ref:85292)   #10
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think jaguar is goin down. they really cant gel together as a team. some of the jaguar guys have already hinted of pulling out unless they do well in a couple of years.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 18:00 (Ref:85387)   #11
Tristan
Veteran

Well I have to beg to differ with ALL of you (except angst, of course). I freely admit that Jag have been rubbish in BAR-esque proportions so far, but I really do feel they'll come good. I don't LIKE Jaguar, I think they're just a gimmicky profits-before-racing team in the same vein as BAR.

BUT, they have potential for nearly bottomless pits of money in the future, the engine's fair (if unreliable), the chassis' a dog, but we'll see what they can dredge up in the next couple of seasons, they WILL have all the facilities you could want and as for the RIVER pairing: ONE OF THE BEST ON THE GRID (I REFUSE to retract my previous statement).

Jos may've been flavour of the month a couple of months back, but lets face it, he did well in Sepang through luck rather than judgement (find a replay of the first corner and you'll see what I mean) and was COMPREHENSIVLY outplayed by PDLR last season. As for EI, i really cannot understand this image of him being "lazy" and "not committed". I would say he's QUITE the opposite. I no of no other driver, with the possible exception of TGF, who can deliver such high quality telematry back to a team for them to work with. And he's got a cracking sense of humour!
Old 30 Apr 2001, 11:07 (Ref:86961)   #12
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Lauda had hinted that to bring Jaguar to the front this year would require a new car...does that mean a totally revised R2 by the middle of the year, after the August break?
From F1News:
Quote:
Jaguar Racing will launch a 'B' version of the R2 in July - in time for Silverstone. The car is apparently evolutionary enough to warrant the 'B' moniker according to Jaguar Racing top boss Niki Lauda. Lauda has also privately admitted to wooing Adrian Newey to head up the design team.
Can you imagine that? As has been hinted in another thread (are Jag incapable?) Ford have the finances to virtually pick and choose who they want from down the pitlane, but Newey? Now that would be a coup, wouldn't it?
Old 30 Apr 2001, 19:03 (Ref:87164)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Newey to Jaguar?? Brilliant!! Hopefully someone else can now win something OTHER than McLaren or Williams, with occasional, woderful, sporadic inputs of Ferrari!
Old 30 Apr 2001, 21:50 (Ref:87279)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DancingMachine
i think jaguar is goin down.
Ummm... they were never up in the first place...

Old 1 May 2001, 02:31 (Ref:87378)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Okay, so they made a lot of stupid moves last season (will Jaguar EVER live down that silly leaping cat on the Motorhome?), they have the most hideous livery in F1, their #1 driver is a blowhard with a dye job...

But they canned the poseurs, and with Lauda and Rahal have two real racers running the show. Eddie, for all his annoying flamboyance is a fine tester and a fast driver as Tristan has stated ad nauseum.

The prospect of Newey joining Jaguar is a very real possibility. He's always ready for a new challenge and Ford has BIG BUCKS to spare.

Sorry, Dino, I agree with Tristan about the strength of the lineup, PDLR is a fine complement for Irvine. Success will come eventually.
Old 1 May 2001, 13:21 (Ref:87526)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Ad nauseum my... head.
Old 1 May 2001, 13:27 (Ref:87529)   #17
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ad nauseum my... head.
Wow! Jaguar are going to 'borrow' Patrick too?
Old 1 May 2001, 13:49 (Ref:87537)   #18
Tristan
Veteran

Ho ho ho....yeahrightmumblemumle.....
Old 1 May 2001, 14:03 (Ref:87540)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, they just need a good car uhn ?

That's not too hard... and with these 2 guys:

JAGUAR WORLD CHAMPION !