Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Apr 2007, 04:30 (Ref:1891538)   #1
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Road cars that you want to see as GT race cars

ok what cars would u like to see as GT1 cars and GT2 cars

GT1:
2007 Ferrari 599 Fiorano
2008 Nissan GTR
2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe
2007 SSC Ultimate Aero TT
2007 BMW M6

GT2:
2008 Maserati GranTurismo
2007 Mazda RX-8
2008 BMW M3
2007 Aston Martin AMV8 Vantage
2007 Mercedes SLK55 AMG
2007 Ford Mustang GT
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo
2008 Callaway C16
2008 Infiniti G37
2007 Lexus SC430
2007 Jaguar XK8

feel free to add more cars but they must be in production or going into production. also they cant be ones already modified for these classes like the pagoni zonda.

i would like to see the Viper made into a GT1 car and the Xk8 made to a GT2 car.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:31 (Ref:1891547)   #2
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 599 GTB isn't going to happen. Just ask Risi Competizione.

I don't see a long-term future with GT1.

BMW spent big $$ to get the third fastest computer in Europe according to the March, 2007 issue of race car engineering. They are focused on F1 and BMW NA even ended their support of PTG last year. The sedan-styled M3 wouldn't be allowed to race at Le Mans.

I'd like to see an "LM"GT2 Viper and the Doran-built Ford GT in GT2.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 07:01 (Ref:1891561)   #3
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The Nissan is possible -

The Skyline unless you're young enough to have played the orignal Grand Turismo game on PS1, you have NO KNOWLDGE of the car's racing history inside of its home market.

If Nissan really expects to sell the car to people that would otherwise consider Corvettes and cars like that, then it needs to compete ON TRACK with that car and there are provisions for a TURBOCHARGED engine in GT1, stop saying their isn't one and I'll make CMK post it again.

Nobody knows for sure just what powers the '08 Skyline GTR, in either case it can be made into a formiable car on the track despite not being all that competitive when NISMO Japan has taken the car to Le Mans.

Outside of that, there's still a outside chance BMW enters but its looking doubtful.

The door has been closed on the 599 GTB for the time being, I think Ferrari's first order of business is to win Le Mans in class, win the driver's title in ALMS, repeat as titlest in FIA GT2 and win the championship in LMS although that's a lesser desire I would think.

THEN you might see Risi move up and run GT1 with a factory supported GT1 effort. Seeing what the 550 did for the brand and they never even approved the car, I know they feel "If we build it they will come" they just want to make sure its COMPETITIVE before they do it...

GT2

The only car on that list that will make a GT2 grid in the next 2 years is the BMW M3-V8. Its been a long standing rumor and could be apart of a 4 prong attack by BMW, you never know... AC Schnizer will get FIRST crack at the cars trust me.

You might see the Jag, its already a GT3 car for now a few changes and it could easily be a GT2 car.

Side Note -

Im really disapointed that DC has felt it is more important to continue blindly investing in Nextel Cup. That leaves no budget for SRT to even CONSIDER building a customer Competition Coupe that better fits the GT1 regulations.

Now that the streetr car is up to 8.3L, The CC must come in what, under 7.5L??? I thought the regulations said 8.0L max for 2 valve, cam in block engines?
Old 15 Apr 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1891768)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktsax

GT1:
2007 Ferrari 599 Fiorano
2008 Nissan GTR
2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe
2007 SSC Ultimate Aero TT
2007 BMW M6

GT2:
2008 Maserati GranTurismo
2007 Mazda RX-8
2008 BMW M3
2007 Aston Martin AMV8 Vantage
2007 Mercedes SLK55 AMG
2007 Ford Mustang GT
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo
2008 Callaway C16
2008 Infiniti G37
2007 Lexus SC430
2007 Jaguar XK8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
The Nissan is possible -

The Skyline unless you're young enough to have played the orignal Grand Turismo game on PS1, you have NO KNOWLDGE of the car's racing history inside of its home market.

If Nissan really expects to sell the car to people that would otherwise consider Corvettes and cars like that, then it needs to compete ON TRACK with that car and there are provisions for a TURBOCHARGED engine in GT1, stop saying their isn't one and I'll make CMK post it again.

Nobody knows for sure just what powers the '08 Skyline GTR, in either case it can be made into a formiable car on the track despite not being all that competitive when NISMO Japan has taken the car to Le Mans.
Nissan Skyline GTR would be great, But IMHO it is a GT2 not a GT1 car. We have seen severl Nissans, supposidly built just like the Japanises counter parts, and NO they would not be a GT1 car, 550-600 BHP isn't going to do it in a 3000 lb car.

Other cars, The
Toyota Camry with a TRD NASCAR motor in GT1
Crysler Crossfire in GT3
Pontiac G6 in GT2
Pontiac Solstis in GT3 ( Needs much more power )
the New Chevy Camero in GT2
Old 15 Apr 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1891805)   #5
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
An Audi R8 GT1, based on the current road car would be nice.

Other than that, perhaps a GT1 based on BMW's rumoured Z6/Z9/Z10, whatever the Z8 sporty successor will be finally called.

I consider a GT3 version of the new M3 a given, but would also like to see a GT2 incarnation.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 16:09 (Ref:1892078)   #6
slicktsax
Racer

now i posted this as what YOU would like to see made into race cars, not what will actually happen. i would also like to see the nissan gtr made into a gt1 car. the regs say you can have up to a 4 liter turbo motor. the new gtr should have anywhere from a 3.0 to a 3.6 turbo V6 in road trim but the engine itself can be stretched to 4 liters no prob. i mean the past skylines dominated the old JGTC series in the past so i'm sure nissan wouldn't have too much of a problem making them into competitive gt1 cars. hech the budget on their current Z car in the GT500 class in the supergt series is just as large as the vettes in alms
Old 15 Apr 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1892248)   #7
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in GT1:

porsche 911 turbo
porsche carrera GT
mclaren mercedes SLR
audi R8
ferrari 599 GTB
jaguar XKR
ford GT

in GT2:

new BMW M3
aston martin V8 vantage
audi RS4 saloon
nissan skyline
prodrive P2(the car they made based on that subaru R1 citycar thing)
TVR sagaris
morgan aero 8(i know its already raced but a new version of it, that would be sex on wheels)
weismann roadster

you may frown at the audi RS4 saloon option but imagine it with an improved version of the 4.2 V8 in the spyker, the prodrive P2 for anyone that knows of it is just simply sex on wheels, its a major shame it wont make it to production.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1892263)   #8
dookie559
Rookie

dookie559 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Prodrive can get the D9 down to weight from 3970, why wouldn't Nissan be able to do the same with the GTR?
Old 15 Apr 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1892353)   #9
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
now i posted this as what YOU would like to see made into race cars, not what will actually happen. i would also like to see the nissan gtr made into a gt1 car. the regs say you can have up to a 4 liter turbo motor. the new gtr should have anywhere from a 3.0 to a 3.6 turbo V6 in road trim but the engine itself can be stretched to 4 liters no prob. i mean the past skylines dominated the old JGTC series in the past so i'm sure nissan wouldn't have too much of a problem making them into competitive gt1 cars. hech the budget on their current Z car in the GT500 class in the supergt series is just as large as the vettes in alms
a 3.6 or 4 liter turbo 650-700 HP motor, with light wt carbon fiber body at 2600 lbs AND that motor can last 3, 12 or 24 hours?

cant wait to see it happen.

Maybe a 4 liter non turbo in GT2 would be more suited to the competition.

Racing in ones own country and NOT racing on the european or ALMS with the attempt to sell cars in the european and North American markets, just doesnt make business sence.

YES those budgets in JGTC are huge, but they need to get their butts out of Japan to prove their worth. and until they do talk is cheap.

anyway YES a Nissan in GT2 would be great, GT1 ?? well . . . .
Old 16 Apr 2007, 00:14 (Ref:1892632)   #10
slicktsax
Racer

well the engine in the new GTR has already been proven in race trim. in 2003 the skyline in GT500 used a 3 liter twin turbo version of the upcoming GTR that was rated at 500 hp. that same engine was then used in the Z from 2004 to 2006. i'm sure a larger version of it say a 3.6 to 4 liter can handle another 100 hp without any problem. take a look at the porsche twin turbo. it's a 3.6 flat 6 and psi motorsport used to campaign one in the GT1 class in BELCAR a couple years ago with decent success and that engine had over 600 hp. also the budgets in the GT500 are as large as the GT1 vette. take a look and the GT500 machines are actually faster than the GT1 machines in the LMS ALMS and FIAGT. recall in the begin of last year team goh was going to campaign a MC12 in the GT500 class but gave up when they say they couldnt match the pace of the GT500 machines. the GT500 machines are in fact more prototype than GT cars.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 03:26 (Ref:1892664)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The new CTS-V is rumored to be a coupe. That would be nice GT2 addition.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1892859)   #12
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
well the engine in the new GTR has already been proven in race trim. in 2003 the skyline in GT500 used a 3 liter twin turbo version of the upcoming GTR that was rated at 500 hp. that same engine was then used in the Z from 2004 to 2006. i'm sure a larger version of it say a 3.6 to 4 liter can handle another 100 hp without any problem. take a look at the porsche twin turbo. it's a 3.6 flat 6 and psi motorsport used to campaign one in the GT1 class in BELCAR a couple years ago with decent success and that engine had over 600 hp. also the budgets in the GT500 are as large as the GT1 vette. take a look and the GT500 machines are actually faster than the GT1 machines in the LMS ALMS and FIAGT. recall in the begin of last year team goh was going to campaign a MC12 in the GT500 class but gave up when they say they couldnt match the pace of the GT500 machines. the GT500 machines are in fact more prototype than GT cars.
You have some valid points, for racing in the past. not now. Go look for current info on the newer GTr engines, or at least the info I found was very dissapointing.

IMHO and that of many others, untill the Japanees get there so called GT500 race cars OUT OF JAPAN and race in the ALMS or ELMS it is a moot point. There can not be fair comparissions.

So we all look forward to that day.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 19:23 (Ref:1893312)   #13
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
You have some valid points, for racing in the past. not now. Go look for current info on the newer GTr engines, or at least the info I found was very dissapointing.

IMHO and that of many others, untill the Japanees get there so called GT500 race cars OUT OF JAPAN and race in the ALMS or ELMS it is a moot point. There can not be fair comparissions.

So we all look forward to that day.
The 935s raced and won at Daytona, with the blown flat six, in a car that was well over 2,600 pounds.

Bob
Old 17 Apr 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1894213)   #14
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it isn't a skyline anymore- its a GTR, and is due later this year on the road. in fact, any of the recent Jap show cars would be nice.
perhaps a properly sorted Lotus in any class?
RENAULT ESPACE! That would be cool, however illegal!
Old 18 Apr 2007, 21:47 (Ref:1895102)   #15
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
The Skyline could do it.

Rumored specs, depending on where you read them -

Twin Turbo V6 or Big Cube DOHC V8

The M45 engine would be the one used if they went with a V8. A turbocharged version of the VG30Q 350Z motor is the most likely config.

Either can be built to make the power to run GT1. What makes people think the Japanese can't make big displacement V8 power or a reliable turbocharged V engine?

GT500 is strictly regional racing and they know it, has nothing to do with ACO, IMSA or FIA GT for that matter.

I believe the Nissan is likely. Nissan's head of product production said on Autoweek Detroit that racing is always looked to by the management. NISMO is finally here in the US and would take on any responsibly for any serious racing (CORR off-road doesn't count...), its just up to NNA to come up with the funding to get it done right.

Nissan does have a long standing relationship with Penzoil for example....
Old 18 Apr 2007, 22:19 (Ref:1895119)   #16
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The R33 GTR-LM Skyline was a "GT1" car when it 1st came across to Europe in 95 at Le Mans

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-18-023.jpg

I thought they were beautiful looking cars and gave some of the sports prototypes a run for their money!

The former Japanese GTs would do very well against some of the European machinary. The Fairladys(350Z to you and me) etc.

I remember the IMSA Nissans and the RX7 at Le Mans 94, the RX7 sounded great and it spat flames
Old 19 Apr 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1895428)   #17
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
T

I believe the Nissan is likely. Nissan's head of product production said on Autoweek Detroit that racing is always looked to by the management. NISMO is finally here in the US and would take on any responsibly for any serious racing (CORR off-road doesn't count...), its just up to NNA to come up with the funding to get it done right.
Lets hope they do.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 12:00 (Ref:1895431)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Nissan North America won't come up with any real money for racing in Sportscars.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1895518)   #19
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
I'd expect it to be a more centralized effort by Nissan HQ as this is the first time the GT-R will launch globally and positioned as Porsche Turbo alternative all around the world. Putting it to some racing use in LMS, ALMS, FIA GT and JLMC would give it some needed reputation and mind share.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1895887)   #20
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
I'd expect it to be a more centralized effort by Nissan HQ as this is the first time the GT-R will launch globally and positioned as Porsche Turbo alternative all around the world. Putting it to some racing use in LMS, ALMS, FIA GT and JLMC would give it some needed reputation and mind share.
NO way Nissan can "possition" this GT-R to ANY sports car without MAJOR race involvment. Not indepndents, but factory teams
Old 19 Apr 2007, 23:16 (Ref:1895900)   #21
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
NO way Nissan can "possition" this GT-R to ANY sports car without MAJOR race involvment. Not indepndents, but factory teams
Which is exactly my point and why I expect some really interesting racing involvement from them.
Old 20 Apr 2007, 21:26 (Ref:1896681)   #22
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Nissan NA moved Down South to save money...

This allows them more freedom to do things.

Nissan was always able to hang its performance reputation on the Z car. Now that the Z has somewhat returned to its "roots" as an affordable sportscar, its not the "halo" or "flagship" car that Nissan needs to be a player on all markets.

That's where the GT-R comes in. They thought about selling it as a Infiniti, but that's before Mitsubishi and Subaru could sell $30K plus compact cars for a profit.

As the "Gran Tursimo" generation gets more disposable income, trades in their Honda Civics for larger more powerful cars, the Skyline GT-R is in a good position for Nissan if its marketed correctly. Part of that marketing; Motorsport HAS to be included! You can't expect to sell a car close to $50,000 and take some market from BMW, GM, Audi and Ford (GT500) without racing it, especially in Europe as Satorian has stated.

My gut tells me you'll see this car racing and you'll see it in ALMS and only the GT1 class makes any sense for such a car.

Nismo has the capacity to keep it in-house and seek outside support to fund it. I don't know why Fog is negative on that, Nissan N/A has relationships with Kuhmo tires for example in the CORR series, long relationships with Bridgestone, Penzoil/Shell and a few others.

They can get this done...
Old 23 Apr 2007, 21:34 (Ref:1898903)   #23
Mulsanne Bleu
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Mulsanne Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Nissan is possible -

Too correct about the GT-R bit, these Max Power kids would'nt even know if the PGC-10, KPGC-10 or even the KPGC-110 is, even if there was one in front of them as they are educated to think there were 4 GT-Rs ever built, including the forthcoming model...

...nor they would even know anything about Gr.A, all they seem to think about is tuning and 1000bhp

But going away from that, how about the Lexus LF-A or the Toyota FT-HS, thats if either would ever go into production, at least the GT-R will have somebody to play with
Old 23 Apr 2007, 22:51 (Ref:1898949)   #24
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The problem that Nissan has, is their parent company Renault, they have their fingers in many pies, why would they want to commit to sportscars when they already have a car in the pinicle race series and they have their own set of championships.

The only reason I could see them coming into sportscar racing would be a Nissan badged factory sports prototype to take on Peugeot and Honda/Acura.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 23:27 (Ref:1898969)   #25
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
The problem that Nissan has, is their parent company Renault, they have their fingers in many pies, why would they want to commit to sportscars when they already have a car in the pinicle race series and they have their own set of championships.

The only reason I could see them coming into sportscar racing would be a Nissan badged factory sports prototype to take on Peugeot and Honda/Acura.
That's HARDLY makes any sense at all.

Renault doesn't SELL cars in the US market. None of the current Nissan automobiles sold in America has Renault sourced parts in them. Its all IN-HOUSE.

Renault is just there to make sure they make money, that's all.

Gossen gave the green light to both the Z car and the standard Skyline which is sold as the G series car here for Infiniti.

Your just one of those Prototype purist that look for an excuse for a car company to build a prototype.

That model doesn't fit everybody. It really doest "fit" Porsche, but they want overall victories and at present time, prototypes have little to do with production cars.

Nissan on the other has as a suitable GT1 car in the Skyline GT-R.

1) Its a fairly large coupe

2) It built to compete with up market performance coupes/sedans

3) its a STREET CAR FIRST, RACE CAR SECOND

Acura had/has no such car in the pipeline. They can't even agree on what the next NSX will be like at the moment. For them to stick the V6 out of an NSX in a RSX for an example, would be best served in the Grand Am series as you can run what is called a Prep 2 car, which under the rules can be converted to RWD and you can use any powerplant in the Acura/Honda family as long as its production based.

Which is why you see a Pontiac G6 race car.. Even if the production car is not V8 powered and not RWD.

Nissan more than likely will go in the direction of a GT car because it fits there marketing model and even if a GT1 car is more expensive to build, its still not as much as it would cost to build racing specific engines and contact somebody like Courage for chassis developement. You forget HPD was already in place to build the IRL engines, where do you think the LMP2 engines came from???

If Nissan wants to save money overall and still enter, using a production car as a base would make sense and it hasn't hurt the Corvette any, its the fastest thing you can buy for $65,000.... You can builld brand loyality like that. Audi already did that in the 80's and 90's with their rally and touring cars...