Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Oct 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2967965)   #16
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can an associate membership for historic racing not be used?
Old 9 Oct 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2967975)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
woudl they be allowed to wear the badge? I am led to believe that was teh stumbling block the last time they opened their doors...
Old 9 Oct 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2967988)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
John, would that be Mr A from Hove? I spoke to him a few weeks back, has been a life memmber for far longer than I've been alive, which is well after he retired, and struck me he's probably done less racing than me!
Old 9 Oct 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2968059)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a conversation with a very well known historic racer,he said that he hoped one day to be invited to become a member,just so he could tell them where to shove it!Seems to me that over recent years it has gone down hill rather rapidly,the true spirit of being a member has, sadly,been lost,according to various members.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2968070)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Says more about that particular Historic Racer than BRDC.

Must be a jerk!
Old 9 Oct 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2968123)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps,but one without the 'Head-in-the-clouds' syndrome,quite a refreshing bloke to talk to.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2968209)   #22
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My comments here are basically as a nobody, A Punter if you like but...

To me these sort of clubs are akin to the "oscars" Over time It becomes a bunch of Luvvy types, Many of whom get well paid all in their own world nominating themselves for a self perpetuating sort of self gratification !! Now this might sound harsh and I am playing devils advocate here but This sort of club generally becomes defunct over time because of "cliques" if you like being unable to move with the times.

I don't do celebrity.

But then again how many celebrities are needed to assess whether anyone racing in whatever discipline is worthy or not? popularity? race results? Differing disciplines?

Now whilst It is nice to be in some ways regarded by your Peers, in other ways it just panders to racing drivers already often over inflated ego's of themselves.

The old dinner party joke always comes to mind..."How can you identify a racing driver at a party?"....Don't worry he will tell you!!

N.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2968249)   #23
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to illustrate that the club is not too particular who it let's in it's doors these days, pictured here is a friend of Bruce McLaren from his youth, one of his ex-mechanics who is a recent Vice_President of the club and Giraffe after a splendid luncheon there today....

By giraffe138 at 2011-10-09
Old 9 Oct 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2968259)   #24
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The requirements for membership are clearly laid out.

"Membership of the British Racing Drivers’ Club is highly sought after and offered only to those who have achieved success at the highest levels of motor sport."

http://www.brdc.co.uk/Membership
Old 10 Oct 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2968363)   #25
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Most members have spent a shed load of their own money racing and becomming a member has always illustrated that the driver has been successful.

There are very few professional drivers.

Like the bit about how do you know who is racing driver though.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2968456)   #26
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post

The old dinner party joke always comes to mind..."How can you identify a racing driver at a party?"....Don't worry he will tell you!!

N.
Not nowadays - replace that with Golf amateurs / beginners. Happens constantly in my family.....(no, I am not Golfing...).

Ralf
Old 10 Oct 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2968475)   #27
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
The requirements for membership are clearly laid out.

"Membership of the British Racing Drivers’ Club is highly sought after and offered only to those who have achieved success at the highest levels of motor sport."
But that could also be as an engineer or administrator or, as Murray Walker demonstrates, as a commentator.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2968621)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Absolutely correct Andy.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2968656)   #29
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
But that could also be as an engineer or administrator or, as Murray Walker demonstrates, as a commentator.
Indeed, and in my experience members come from many different backgrounds, both social and economic, and cross all the age barriers too. Quite obviously the likes of myself will never aspire to be a member, but as a visiting guest I have always found the BRDC to be a very friendly and welcoming place, and it most certainly has never felt 'snobby' or elitist to me.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2968681)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I have fond memories of the occasional beer or two with a crowd of 'the old school' of members. Two of whom were more than worthy of their Associate Member Status ,but they were/are old school.