Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Feb 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3960597)   #151
Starion13
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 42
Starion13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3. it curently exists, some teams already have a toe in the water there and it wouldn't be too hard to convert Mustangs and Camaro's to GT3 spec. There's some BMW's and what not sitting idle in sheds also that could make a re-appearance. Dane and Walkinshaw already support GT3 entries so who knows.
Starion13 is offline  
Quote
Old 29 Feb 2020, 14:13 (Ref:3960612)   #152
benny41
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 28
benny41 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Option 5 - Declare insolvency and quit.
I am pretty convinced if they can’t get a new tv deal that pays well their cost structure is such there is no way forward.
As a matter of record previous touring car championship categories in Australia have lasted for the following lengths
Improved Production-13 years
Group C-12 years
Group A-8 years
V8’s will have lasted 28 years by the end of 2020.It may be that their time is up.

Not really sure where there is talk of no tv deal being reached.

The history of the precious rule sets are pretty irrelevant the world is a pretty different place to what it was 30 years ago. I don't think winding it up with no replacement is the answer

Supercars needs to come up with a suitable rule set moving forwards that's the key to continuing the series.
benny41 is offline  
Quote
Old 29 Feb 2020, 21:54 (Ref:3960684)   #153
Compromised
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 787
Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny41 View Post
Supercars needs to come up with a suitable rule set moving forwards that's the key to continuing the series.
I think it might be too late for that.

When I hear Gen 3, I think "Rev 3" ie. they've already had a couple tries at this and (IMHO) have been found wanting. The decline of the automotive industry, specifically the models Supercars chose to race didn't exactly happen overnight. Gen 2 was the time for a paradigm shift, instead it ended up a failure - one manufacturer leaving whilst only one new model entered. One could even argue the Mustang didn't (intially) meet the Gen 2 rule set.

Last edited by Compromised; 29 Feb 2020 at 22:12.
Compromised is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Mar 2020, 00:06 (Ref:3960702)   #154
Alan52
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Australia
Glenmore Park
Posts: 1,429
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny41 View Post
Not really sure where there is talk of no tv deal being reached.

The history of the precious rule sets are pretty irrelevant the world is a pretty different place to what it was 30 years ago. I don't think winding it up with no replacement is the answer

Supercars needs to come up with a suitable rule set moving forwards that's the key to continuing the series.
Motor racing is not Archer/Supercars.They are a business that could disappear tomorrow and motor racing would continue.
Teams that wanted to continue in the sport would find another series to compete in.Those that don’t could cash their chips.
Alan52 is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Mar 2020, 01:36 (Ref:3960710)   #155
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,181
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny41 View Post
Not really sure where there is talk of no tv deal being reached.

The history of the precious rule sets are pretty irrelevant the world is a pretty different place to what it was 30 years ago. I don't think winding it up with no replacement is the answer

Supercars needs to come up with a suitable rule set moving forwards that's the key to continuing the series.
Supercars doesn’t need to come up with a suitable rule set

CAMS and ARG have already supplied an alternative
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Mar 2020, 01:45 (Ref:3960713)   #156
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Surry Hills, NSW
Posts: 6,184
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Supercars doesn’t need to come up with a suitable rule set



CAMS and ARG have already supplied an alternative
If Supercars ditched the idea of needing manufacturers and went with Marc style cars they would better to watch than GT3 or TCR, and preserve the manufacturing base and unique IP of the series, while offering the potential for radically reduced costs.
Mixer is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Mar 2020, 06:12 (Ref:3960727)   #157
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,181
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
If Supercars ditched the idea of needing manufacturers and went with Marc style cars they would better to watch than GT3 or TCR, and preserve the manufacturing base and unique IP of the series, while offering the potential for radically reduced costs.
If Supercars ditch manufacturers, there is no IP to use.

What will they call the cars? As much as the MARCs look like a Mustang, they are never officially referred to as Mustangs
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Mar 2020, 06:34 (Ref:3960731)   #158
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Surry Hills, NSW
Posts: 6,184
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
If Supercars ditch manufacturers, there is no IP to use.



What will they call the cars? As much as the MARCs look like a Mustang, they are never officially referred to as Mustangs
Dead easy to get a licence to use the likeness whether you pay for it or not. Both MARC and TA2 use brands and car names without licences, quite freely.
Mixer is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Mar 2020, 07:16 (Ref:3960733)   #159
E.B
Veteran
 
E.B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
Posts: 5,240
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Dead easy to get a licence to use the likeness whether you pay for it or not. Both MARC and TA2 use brands and car names without licences, quite freely.

Yep I am sure Ford would be happy for the Mustang name to get continued exposure. The likeness of the current Supercars version is not exactly a direct copy and yet is supported by Ford so why not aMARC type chassis / body. Better imo than a me too GT3 series which wont do anything for cost reduction

Given the status, size and trends in the local car/family vehicle market there is there any justification for manufacturer involvement in SC? I dont see it.
E.B is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Mar 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3960746)   #160
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,181
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Dead easy to get a licence to use the likeness whether you pay for it or not. Both MARC and TA2 use brands and car names without licences, quite freely.
Total rubbish

MARC does not use car brands and car names without licence! The model (which looks like a Mustang) is a MARC II V8

TA2 has the licence from the manufacturer to call the cars their brand name and model

Last edited by one five five; 1 Mar 2020 at 09:10.
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Mar 2020, 03:16 (Ref:3960904)   #161
rik
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 585
rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
When I hear Gen 3, I think "Rev 3" ie. they've already had a couple tries at this and (IMHO) have been found wanting. The decline of the automotive industry, specifically the models Supercars chose to race didn't exactly happen overnight. Gen 2 was the time for a paradigm shift, instead it ended up a failure - one manufacturer leaving whilst only one new model entered. One could even argue the Mustang didn't (intially) meet the Gen 2 rule set.
Does anyone actually know what Gen3 is? Apart from talk about some changes to the roll cage to allow for lower roof 2 door cars there doesn't seem to be much else that can't be achieved on the existing platform? ie. control suspension, different engines, etc.

Could the existing chassis be modified to allow for alternate bodywork? So teams don't have to throw out as much stuff?
rik is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Mar 2020, 05:14 (Ref:3960912)   #162
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,487
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Does anyone actually know what Gen3 is? Apart from talk about some changes to the roll cage to allow for lower roof 2 door cars there doesn't seem to be much else that can't be achieved on the existing platform? ie. control suspension, different engines, etc.

Could the existing chassis be modified to allow for alternate bodywork? So teams don't have to throw out as much stuff?
I would prefer they also widen the front and rear subframes, to push the front and rear suspension further outboard. The present Mustang is not only too tall, it's also squashed laterally. A 5cm increase in track width would correct this.

Other than that, I don't think there have been any suggestions there would be large amounts of change under Gen 3. Things like fuel tank, transaxle and so on would all be carried over.

It's debatable whether rear tyre size should be increased, or if the current 295/305 (2018 spec/2019 spec) on a 11" wide rim is wide enough. If the latter, then the current wheels could be retained.

It would be good to see a return to small rear wing endplates and deletion of bootlid extensions.

Other control parts like the $20,000 888 pedal box need to be dropped from the rules though IMO. They are just plain stupid. A $5,000 Tilton pedal box would do the same job.
V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Mar 2020, 08:40 (Ref:3960942)   #163
JAFA851
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
New Zealand
Posts: 533
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Gen 3 supposed to be something where you could run a different engine than the current 5L V8? 888 spent a small fortune developing that V6 turbo ( twin turbo? ), all for what?
JAFA851 is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Mar 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3960944)   #164
mayhem
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Posts: 3,215
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
8 demo laps.
mayhem is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Mar 2020, 09:58 (Ref:3960950)   #165
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Surry Hills, NSW
Posts: 6,184
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Wasn't Gen 3 supposed to be something where you could run a different engine than the current 5L V8? 888 spent a small fortune developing that V6 turbo ( twin turbo? ), all for what?
888 didn't, GM did
Mixer is offline  
Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LMDh (DPi regulations version 2.0) NaBUru38 North American Racing 422 25 Jan 2023 09:34
New F1 Team - Panthers seeking to join grid for 2022 karting Formula One 29 31 Aug 2019 21:57
[WEC] Audi to Return in 2022? rdjones ACO Regulated Series 21 28 Sep 2018 20:23
Gen IV B/Mark IRL Indycar Series 14 22 Jul 2003 04:33


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2021 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2021-2022 Grant MacDonald. All Rights Reserved.