Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Feb 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3955604)   #46
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Looks like no more sedans for Gen3 according to Mr Seamer.
That approach will revolve around the reports that say GM will axe the Camaro and GM have made no final declaration on that to this date that I am aware of. GM have two problems, no suitable chassis platform until 2025, falling sales and the Camaro reaching it end of use date by GM standards according to this article which is over 6 months old.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06...vrolet-camaro/

Until GM make an official comment it is only supposition but this link adds fuel to the fire.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06...vrolet-camaro/

And this link shows why OEMS are in a race to go electric because they have no option. While not directly bearing on the Camaro issue it is indicative of what is driving manufacturers to ramp up BEV's, they simply have no choice so vehicles such as the Camaro have a rocky future short term and inevitably no future long term.

Some would say why does the UK decision impact the Australian racing scene, it would be a fair assumption that international OEM's can see the writing on the wall, Milan had had quite a few days of total bans on IC cars in the city in recent times and this sort of stuff will continue to push the direction the OEM's are moving in. What they do is what we will drive, QED really.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51366123

I think the bigger question is whether Gen 3 will actually happen in it's proposed form at all but I am only a keyboard warrior as pointed out to me recently.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 10:21 (Ref:3955608)   #47
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Smart!

Sedans are on the nose. It's either hatchback (already covered by TCR), ute (already covered by SuperUtes), two door coupe or SUV that remain popular styles of vehicle.

For whatever reason SUV racing has been ruled out, so that leaves two door coupes as the relevant market segment.
We already have SUV racing after a fashion, although not currently Australia relevant other than the availability of the road going version.... a one make (Jaguar electric SUV ) series, The FIA sanctioned series supporting Formula E Electric Racing.

Billed as the world’s first all-electric production based international race series, the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy.
Quote:
For the first time in the history of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship, we're welcoming the arrival of our first official support series, the Jaguar I-Pace eTROPHY. Taking place ahead of 10 rounds of the Formula E Championship in eight global cities, up to 20 entrants will compete for a prize fund in excess of £500,000.
https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/champ...aguar-e-trophy
Old 4 Feb 2020, 10:58 (Ref:3955614)   #48
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

BMW 8 series is coincidentally nearly the same size and shape as a Ford Mustang, likewise Mercedes E class coupe... wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Wasn't Jamie driving one with the boss on the weekend....
Old 4 Feb 2020, 18:59 (Ref:3955719)   #49
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
That approach will revolve around the reports that say GM will axe the Camaro and GM have made no final declaration on that to this date that I am aware of. GM have two problems, no suitable chassis platform until 2025, falling sales and the Camaro reaching it end of use date by GM standards according to this article which is over 6 months old.
The article I linked talks about Corvette rather than Camaro. The way Mr Seamer talks in it, sounds like they had a good think about going the GT3 route but consider those cars too expensive and are looking at doing something lower cost but maybe based on the same or similar road cars.

Quote:
I think the bigger question is whether Gen 3 will actually happen in it's proposed form at all but I am only a keyboard warrior as pointed out to me recently.
I think that's a perfectly valid question but whether or not it happens won't be clear for some time yet. They need to come up with the concept and have teams, manufacturers etc engaged with it first.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 04:05 (Ref:3955777)   #50
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
No more commodores thank goodness.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 04:40 (Ref:3955781)   #51
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
No more commodores thank goodness.
Terrible comment to make.
Im sure we would love to continue the COmmodore and Falcon rivalry.
I guess this is when the series finally looses its spark???

thank gawd for MotoGP
Old 5 Feb 2020, 05:20 (Ref:3955783)   #52
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Terrible comment to make.
Im sure we would love to continue the COmmodore and Falcon rivalry.
I guess this is when the series finally looses its spark???

thank gawd for MotoGP
You're dreamin, there were none in the 12hr and the race was much better for it.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 08:46 (Ref:3955805)   #53
benny41
Rookie

benny41 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
We already have SUV racing after a fashion, although not currently Australia relevant other than the availability of the road going version.... a one make (Jaguar electric SUV ) series, The FIA sanctioned series supporting Formula E Electric Racing.

Billed as the world’s first all-electric production based international race series, the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy.

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/champ...aguar-e-trophy
As much as it might be an "ugly" series to watch it might be the only way to keep manufactures interested.

It could be an interesting concept to have suv style bodies over a spec or similar spaceframe chassis, let the engines be what the manufacturer dictates (4 cyl , v6 ,v8 electic ) and use bop to keep it all in line.

Other than that supercars need to prepare for a world with no manufacturer backing and adjust accordingly.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3955873)   #54
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You're dreamin, there were none in the 12hr and the race was much better for it.
There was one and thats why the race was soo good.
No Falcons though
Old 5 Feb 2020, 22:19 (Ref:3956009)   #55
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Speedcafe article uses words like “2-door sports car” and “GT inspired” to describe the possible next rules package

How can you keto awarding the “Australian Touring Car Championship” title to that?
Old 5 Feb 2020, 23:47 (Ref:3956010)   #56
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Up to 1992 a great majority of the ATCC winners were 2 door sporty cars. Mustang, Camaro, Torana, RX7, BMW, Sierra, Skylines....
Old 5 Feb 2020, 23:57 (Ref:3956011)   #57
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
There was one and thats why the race was soo good.
No Falcons though
Fortunately I must have blinked and missed it.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 23:59 (Ref:3956012)   #58
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The Speedcafe article uses words like “2-door sports car” and “GT inspired” to describe the possible next rules package

How can you keto awarding the “Australian Touring Car Championship” title to that?
I guess the corvette will be ruled out due to it being rear engine, as will many others if this is the case.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 00:45 (Ref:3956015)   #59
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I guess the corvette will be ruled out due to it being rear engine, as will many others if this is the case.
Me being pedantic, it is mid engined but I know what you are saying. There ain't no way a front mounted engine is going into the new Corvette.

I pointed out a few years ago here that SC's was facing the problems that have now arisen and even Peckstar agreed with me and we never agreed on anything!

The near future is going to be a huge gestation period for motor sport that has never occurred before and it might take a long while to wade through it or the sport may not survive except in very small niche terms, purely speculation on my part but realistically possible. There are those who deny Zero Emission cars are actually going to be a real thing in mass numbers and those who can't wait for it all to happen with hybrids being a passing transition into the full Zero Emission world of motoring. When all that gets sorted out motor racing might have a direction to go in.

Pessimism or optimism...I don't know TTTT
Old 6 Feb 2020, 02:03 (Ref:3956019)   #60
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Me being pedantic, it is mid engined but I know what you are saying. There ain't no way a front mounted engine is going into the new Corvette.

I pointed out a few years ago here that SC's was facing the problems that have now arisen and even Peckstar agreed with me and we never agreed on anything!

The near future is going to be a huge gestation period for motor sport that has never occurred before and it might take a long while to wade through it or the sport may not survive except in very small niche terms, purely speculation on my part but realistically possible. There are those who deny Zero Emission cars are actually going to be a real thing in mass numbers and those who can't wait for it all to happen with hybrids being a passing transition into the full Zero Emission world of motoring. When all that gets sorted out motor racing might have a direction to go in.

Pessimism or optimism...I don't know TTTT
My bad, I should have said the corvette not being front engined.

If SC isn''t prepared to adopt a different parity formula it will restrict the category to sports coupes I guess.