Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1009323)   #1
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Benefactors from New Qualifying

I know i'm a montoya-phile, but I seriously think that a return to a pre-2003 style qualifying format will aid him. My evidence is the 7 poles from 2002 and only 1 from 2003!
Old 20 Jun 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1009325)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
will help mainly Bridgestone drivers i think .. i think the one lap qualifying hurts them the most ..

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 12:08 (Ref:1009397)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will help McLaren also - as their bigger fuel tank allows them to run longer first stints - which will now be a tactical option as it will no longer be penalised in qualifying.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1009413)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not happy about changing the rules so drastically mid-season. The qualifying system wwas generally popular last year, the problem now is the specific change of timing between Q1 and Q2 making Friday worthless and not allowing significant set-up changes.

The fact that teams with big tanks can now benefit seems ridiculous. Building such a huge tank originally was surely a design error, that they can now be rewarded for? Maybe teams like McLaren were the most vociferous supporters of the new system?
Old 20 Jun 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1009440)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never support major changes such as this during a season...not even if it's at short notice just prior a season. Teams should be given allowance to make the neccessary adaption to new rules.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 16:32 (Ref:1009504)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Loss for the smaller teams though... they will hardly get on camera meaning less sponsors...
they hardly get on camera as it is during the race...
Old 20 Jun 2004, 16:37 (Ref:1009507)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They might get seen more though as maybe more people will watch it!

In terms of performance. Winners: people who can drive fast. Losers: people who can't. A bit like now!

Other winners? Us? Back to all out laps? Well maybe.

Immediately it may help or hinder certain teams, but that could change as the relative characteristics of the cars change with development.

I guess it might help those with bigger fuel tanks because there will less of a reason to run short (first) stints. Will we go back to the long first stints?
Old 20 Jun 2004, 17:02 (Ref:1009513)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The fans are the main winners with this one.....just in time for my first GP.

*grins smugly*
Old 20 Jun 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1009555)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are you going on Saturday as well?
Old 20 Jun 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1009558)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1012078)   #11
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New qualifying reg's - who will benefit?

I'll open this with DC. Under the old 1 hour qualifying DC wasn't too shabby and a lot of his poor showing over the past couple of years has been down to his apparent inability to really pull that one quick lap out of the bag on the single lap that count's. Admittedly with the current bag o' nails McLaren I don't think we should expect miracles but will the 2 25 minute sessions allow him to raise his game? I think it might.

Who else do you think will gain or lose under the new system?

Last edited by Dick Spanner; 22 Jun 2004 at 13:30.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1012111)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Other winners? Us? Back to all out laps? Well maybe.
That's for sure ! We'll have much more fun.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1012157)   #13
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't the times going to be aggregate? So you will actually have 4 flying laps in the two sessions, with the times of those 4 laps all to be added up to your total time? Perhaps I am wrong on that one... but if it is aggregate, then the system sucks. At least we will see some low fuel qualy laps, though.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1012162)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No.

It's your quickest lap from each of the two parts which is aggregated.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1012231)   #15
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
Loss for the smaller teams though... they will hardly get on camera meaning less sponsors...
they hardly get on camera as it is during the race...
I think this has been thought about and Minardi and Jordan are to be featured in the 10 min break between sessions. I'm not 100% on this so can someone confirm if i'm right or wrong?
Old 22 Jun 2004, 15:43 (Ref:1012235)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The jury is out on this one for me.

On the one hand it'll be great to see the guys going for it on low fuel. On the other hand, aggregating times is just going to get confusing for thre fans.

I thought they stopped aggregating times after race red-flags for just that reason, so why start it up again now?

If they are going to fart-arse around with 2x 25 minute sessions, just give then the hour. I know it was a mad scramble at the end and not much happened at the start, but I found the anticipation and tension made it better.

It was used for years, so I don't know why they really changed it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
The fans are the main winners with this one.....just in time for my first GP.

*grins smugly*
But then again, I'll take any improvement going and will sit back in the stands and enjoy it.

Last edited by Spudgun; 22 Jun 2004 at 15:44.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1012264)   #17
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But then again, I'll take any improvement going and will sit back in the stands and enjoy it.
I'll echo that Spud ... anything's better than what we've got now. As for who it'll benefit, I'd say MS, RB, JPM, DC at least.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1012281)   #18
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have mixed reactions about this one. True, it will be nice to see the return to quick laps on low fuel but the pressure is essentially off the driver to put in that 1 quick lap when needed ... and that is a shame.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1012286)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

There is a lot of pressure on the drivers to do a quick lap - but they need to do it twice.

I agree that the aggregate rule is wrong, though.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1014444)   #20
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
DEFINITELY DC, and probably Monty and Webber. You only need to look at Webber's Minardi quali efforts in 2002 to know that.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1014480)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari as usual will have a handle on it.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1014548)   #22
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and Sauber .. expecially with their full tank strategy .. it could work very good for them ..

Ciao Marco
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1014695)   #23
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new way (similar to the old) will benefit the better teams and penalize the weaker ones. It will also damage the finances of many teams already strapped financially, as they will not be able to get their sponsor's any time to speak of in front of the camera.

Bad move for all and certainly the sport in the long run.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1014817)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
While the smaller teams might get less % of the coverage it might work out alright if the new system is more popular and more people watch. There is no point in getting 10% of the coverage if no one watches. Additionally aren't they getting cheaper engines for it?