Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 24 Jan 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1508379)   #1
bmhb
Rookie

bmhb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsports history magazine

In Britain there is a monthly magazine about formula one and sportscar races of the past. I have seen it in a little store here in Germany but I can´t remember the name of the magazine. Can anybody help me out?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1508464)   #2
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motor Sport ?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1508493)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm with diz; certainly seems likely that it's MotorSport.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1508861)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's Motorsport as well but for some reason it isn't as widely available in the shops as it used to be.

It's published by Haymarket (same as Autosport).
Old 25 Jan 2006, 17:59 (Ref:1508971)   #5
bmhb
Rookie

bmhb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, that´s the one I was looking for
Thanks alot!

Does anybody know where I can buy this year`s back issues?
Old 25 Jan 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1508998)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhb
Yes, that´s the one I was looking for
Thanks alot!

Does anybody know where I can buy this year`s back issues?
Haymarket Back Issues
Tel: 08456 777819
Fax: 08456 775555
Old 13 Feb 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1521985)   #7
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just subscibed to MSport after 20 years of occasional reading (one of my wifes more inspirational gifts) and really enjoying it. Glad to see Marcus Simmonds (sp?) has taken over editorial, and along with N Roebuck, G Watkins etc seems to have a good line up of writers. More depth than ASport, even though A Rowlinson and M Hughes seem on form at the moment.
I cant really get to grips with the original editor, W Body (again sp???), maybe it is that rather pompus looking photo they use, or maybe I'm just from the wrong era. I'm interested in his subject, but just find him rude somehow.
Sadly I think the time has come to end the weekly Thursday love affair with AS and just stick with MS and TTenths etc.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1523448)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's William (Bill) Boddy; the picture is quite a severe one, but he is at least 80 years old now. He seems very much 'old school tie' and a bit brusque in manner with his writing, but motor racing enthusiasts and historians are mightily in his debt for this lifelong passion that has kept his pen to paper for over 60 years.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1523453)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I might add that when I wrote to him as a cub of an enthusiast asking for some specific details about Brooklands, he sent a charming and helpful letter by return, in spite of having just suffered a family bereavement.

I'll always be in WB's debt for the volumes and volumes of good stuff he has set in print over the years. Not a week goes by without my diving into an old Motor Sport for some nugget or other even now. I'm more than happy to make allowances if his current output seems a little unfocused.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1523504)   #10
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Bill Boddy reminds me of the late John Bolster. An absolute enthusiast for Vintage motoring and a head full of facts and anecdotes. I find his articles are perhaps dated in style but they add to the balance of the magazine. A good contrast to the more modern stuff.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1523627)   #11
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I admire WB's scholarship and vast depth of experience, but I have increasingly found his articles rambling and unfocussed. WB's section of MS reads like it's essentially unedited - he writes whatever he likes about whatever subject happens to capture his enthusiasm that month, regardless of whether it's of interest to the magazine's readership. He's also been making a lot of "real" political comment since Labour were elected in '97, and it doesn't take a great leap of imagination to infer his own voting preferences from this. (Was he the same pre-79? - I don't have any older copies of MS around).

I think it's great that WB's still out there, and I think there is nobody in the world who knows the early history of British racing (specifically Brooklands - his history of it sets a benchmark for sheer depth of research) in anything like the same level of detail.

But that should not make him immune to being subbed like any other writer; I've read WB articles that essentially consist of nothing more than lists of Brooklands handicap results, which are probably of interest to WB and maybe two or three of his VSCC pals. He's always going to be writing about a specific niche of racing history, but as a revered contributor to the magazine it should be working with him to make his vast knowledge of racing's early years accessible to most of its audience.

Last edited by Pete Fenelon; 15 Feb 2006 at 18:57. Reason: fixed grammar and typos
Old 18 Feb 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1525806)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
By coincidence, the March issue of The Automobile, carries a letter from Bill Boddy, in which he reveals that his first article was published in MotorSport (when it was called The Brooklands Gazette) in 1927 when he was 14! That makes him 93, this year! He 'ran' Motorsport from 1932. He handed the editorship over to Simon Arron during the course of 1991. The current issue of MotorSport lists the founding editor as 'Bill Boddy, MBE'.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1526972)   #13
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
By coincidence, the March issue of The Automobile, carries a letter from Bill Boddy, in which he reveals that his first article was published in MotorSport (when it was called The Brooklands Gazette) in 1927 when he was 14! That makes him 93, this year! He 'ran' Motorsport from 1932. He handed the editorship over to Simon Arron during the course of 1991. The current issue of MotorSport lists the founding editor as 'Bill Boddy, MBE'.
I don't for a moment begrudge WB's contributions to Motor Sport - but I don't think he should be immune to the normal editing process. WB has a remarkable memory and can still be an evocative and informative writer, but there's not enough focus in a lot of his pieces these days. I don't even mind his discursive style, but I like there to be a point to an article!
Old 20 Feb 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1526981)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pete, my post was by way of information; I wasn't disputing your view!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1528244)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WB wrote to me when I was researching my first book - nice chap. Live out in Wales. But just how old is he?
Old 22 Feb 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1528657)   #16
Pete Fenelon
Racer

93, as was mentioned further up the thread.