Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2010, 00:19 (Ref:2713462)   #51
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
People who say this... Reminds me of my dads (long deceased) mother saying colour TV and gas fires were overrated.

Do you still wash your clothes in the sink?
*whilst watching 3D TV*

I want more visual technology! Gimme! Gimme! But most of all, give me something worth watching.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 09:15 (Ref:2713607)   #52
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
People who say this... Reminds me of my dads (long deceased) mother saying colour TV and gas fires were overrated.

Do you still wash your clothes in the sink?

Selby
Old 17 Jun 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2713627)   #53
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Going back on to the looks of the cars, I just checked out some images from the recent Ferrari youth test of the 2008 car, and it's quite shocking just how alien they look:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-conten...008_2010-5.jpg

Selby
Old 17 Jun 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2713646)   #54
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
*whilst watching 3D TV*

I want more visual technology! Gimme! Gimme! But most of all, give me something worth watching.
Seconded!

I am only watching for the racing!
Old 17 Jun 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2713669)   #55
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Going back on to the looks of the cars, I just checked out some images from the recent Ferrari youth test of the 2008 car, and it's quite shocking just how alien they look:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-conten...008_2010-5.jpg

Selby
Hideous springs to mind. Last year's and this season's cars look beautiful in comparison, even allowing for the wide front wings and narrow rear wings.

I do like the idea of a bigger variety of track types.
If the cars all look much of a muchness, due to the controlling effect of the rules, tracks may be the answer.

But overall this season has been very good so far IMHO.

P
Old 17 Jun 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2713695)   #56
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
One of the thing I would like to change is one mans attitude to 'other' teams.

Give it up Luca!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84539
Old 17 Jun 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2713711)   #57
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Ergh, change the damn record, will you?!

Yes, they're slow. Get over it. In case Luca hadn't noticed, the grid is the tightest it has ever been, and there is less testing than ever (I mean he really should notice that point at the very least..). How do you expect new blood to come in and be any where near the established teams?!

Selby
Old 17 Jun 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2713723)   #58
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone slam Ferrari so much when they started all those years ago?
I doubt it.

Ferrari, the original garista, should applaud any new team for giving it a go, not constantly slag them off.

There have always been new teams coming in to F1, they are a part of the sport just as Ferrari is.

P
Luca for you:
Old 17 Jun 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2713796)   #59
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not a huge Luca fan or anything but he does kind of have a point (unfortunately he is conveniently forgetting that backmarkers are also helping the slow Ferrari's stay close).

his one sided opinion aside though, either F1 pretends its a sport or it just openly acts like a business and going by the revelations from the Joe Saward blog that there is in fact an incentive for the slow team to stay slow it is looking less and less like a sport - and slow cars dont help that image.

if the slowest team is slower than the feeder series then they dont belong with the top level. if they want time, then they should go back to GP2 and cut their teeth there. once they are ready to move up i would welcome them with open arms.

curiously if i started a thread about the flawed nature of the selection process and who should have been let in i wonder how many would say that HRT is at the top of the list? they are a revelation of openness and great fun for sure, but really does anyone think that they belong on merit?
Old 17 Jun 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2713802)   #60
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hispania weren't selected though - Campos were selected on the thought that Adrian himself would run it (complete with his wealth of single seater experience) and that they had the money. They didn't. The new owners inherited a car that had little work on it, it's not their fault. The team running the cars isn't the problem for anyone, it's the car itself - something they can't learn in GP2. Ideally GP2 would be junked and replaced with a multi-chassis (and probably multi-engine) formula so that chassis builders can supply teams in whatever it's called (Formula Two being the logical name), build up experience constructing single seaters and then apply for F1. But that isn't going to happen.

The Hispania cars aren't even that slow though - in the last few races they have been within 107%.

Insert shameless request for comment on this post here.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 16:39 (Ref:2713803)   #61
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
More Tilke tracks.
Are you on drugs! Or did you mean to put No instead of more. I think there are some excellent suggestions on here, particularly on the technical front. I would have never come up with half of those. I also think it's time for some fresh blood running the sport, time to move over Bernie. Ultimately, whoever is running the sport will want to make money, but we need someone with the sports best interest at heart not his bank balance.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2713987)   #62
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
...Ideally GP2 would be junked and replaced with a multi-chassis (and probably multi-engine) formula so that chassis builders can supply teams in whatever it's called (Formula Two being the logical name), build up experience constructing single seaters and then apply for F1. But that isn't going to happen.
costs obviously, but out of curiosity, are there other reasons?
Old 17 Jun 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2714054)   #63
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I also think it's time for some fresh blood running the sport, time to move over Bernie. Ultimately, whoever is running the sport will want to make money, but we need someone with the sports best interest at heart not his bank balance.
Agreed but I hope they would want to make money for the sport, rather than from the sport, so it can be reinvested and make F1 sustainable and affordable, for existing teams, new teams and race tracks.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 00:32 (Ref:2714066)   #64
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Bring this back!

F1 for connoisseurs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwDWj...eature=related
Old 18 Jun 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2714075)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Bring this back!

F1 for connoisseurs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwDWj...eature=related
Never as close as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzXEGacQRU8

The commentary is boring.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 00:55 (Ref:2714076)   #66
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Hopefully, Bridgestone are going to set the trend for the new tyre supplier to follow. They are going to try to bring their softest compounds to the rest of this seasons races.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84544
Old 18 Jun 2010, 00:58 (Ref:2714079)   #67
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Hopefully, Bridgestone are going to set the trend for the new tyre supplier to follow. They are going to try to bring their softest compounds to the rest of this seasons races.

I suppose they need to use them up before the end of the season.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 07:55 (Ref:2714177)   #68
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Agreed but I hope they would want to make money for the sport, rather than from the sport, so it can be reinvested and make F1 sustainable and affordable, for existing teams, new teams and race tracks.
Couldn't agree more, but sadly it's the way of the world these days. There's too many people looking to make a quick buck in all walks of life I'm afraid. More's the pity. It's a question of trying to get a balance and finding someone who is'nt going to bleed the sport dry as Bernie and co seem intent on doing.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2714240)   #69
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:

This surprises me. Coming from a company that cares so greatly about their public image.

Selby
Old 18 Jun 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2714246)   #70
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
This surprises me. Coming from a company that cares so greatly about their public image.

Selby
The one thing that you don't want are tyres that blister or fall apart structurally. Making them marginal on wear wouldn't really harm their image IMO.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2714255)   #71
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My personal preferences.
  • Rear wing is wider as they previously were and only 2 planes.
  • Front wing slightly narrower with only 2 planes. No extra wing planes outside the endplates of the wings.
  • Diffuser simplified to only 4 tunnels. Similar to a sportscar so less dirty air.
  • Wider rear tyres.
  • Inboard mirrors with electric adjustment via cockpit.
  • No aerodynamic devices protrduing body shape.
  • No cut-outs in bodywork such as around the airbox for internal aero devices.
  • Hard and soft tyres to each race but with 2/3 compounds apart.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2714265)   #72
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
On the 2010 cars the rear wing is narrower so that it doesn't affect the wider front wing. The rear wing is mostly acting on the inert centre part of the front wing. So it's not good to have both wings at the same width as each other.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2714289)   #73
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
The one thing that you don't want are tyres that blister or fall apart structurally. Making them marginal on wear wouldn't really harm their image IMO.
But it surely increases chances of blowouts?

Selby
Old 18 Jun 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2714382)   #74
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
costs obviously, but out of curiosity, are there other reasons?
I started writing a long post, but I've put it in to a new thread to stop a threadjacking.

Brief sample - Full post here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me there View Post
I think it's mainly politics rather than anything else. The FIA are already using the F2 name, but I think this will expire after 2011. GP2 effectively replaced F3000, but now the FIA have no control over GP2. This was a boneheaded move, but a consequence of a previous one. There was no need to get rid of the F2 name for that matter, just introduce Bernie's 747ful of DFVs that he bought of Rameses as a new engine formula. Costs wouldn't be so much of an issue ... a chassis/engine lease price cap ... Pillaging the spare parts bin of other series ... homologation period of three or four years
Quote:
But it surely increases chances of blowouts?

Selby
That's what I'd be worried about rather than a bit of blistering - blowouts are the most potentially dangerous out of all those hazards.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2714384)   #75
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2005 tyre rules (ie... no pitstops unless you have a puncture)