Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Which track will be added to the 2016 WEC calendar?
Montreal 10 16.13%
Mexico City 9 14.52%
Monza 23 37.10%
Interlagos 14 22.58%
Other, .... [please name] 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Aug 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3566779)   #16
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Every single venue in UK is better than (post 2009) Silverstone. Maggots-Beggets section is still good but that doesn't save it.
I see your Silverstone and raise you a Rockingham!
Old 18 Aug 2015, 20:08 (Ref:3566781)   #17
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, this years race at Silverstone (apart from the awful shortcutting + laughable Audi penalty for doing the same as everybody else all the time) was amazing and one of the best in years. So even tracks I hate might produce something good. But I still wish you had something else.

As for the April weather, Tourist Trophy 2008 had the best view ever - the cowards today wouldn't even race on this

Old 18 Aug 2015, 20:23 (Ref:3566782)   #18
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I see your Silverstone and raise you a Rockingham!
Well... the roval is tolerable
Old 18 Aug 2015, 21:13 (Ref:3566790)   #19
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Hingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are unable to go to Monza, I'd love to see Imola on the calendar.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 21:19 (Ref:3566792)   #20
Chiana
Veteran

The question is why they dropped it in the first place after the solo ILMC showup. Looks quite good today after F1's decade long absence.

But it's surely just gonna be Monza with the first chicane irritating the Germans, and asphaltpolica blinding everyones eyes in the sunshine.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 21:56 (Ref:3566805)   #21
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The question is why they dropped it in the first place after the solo ILMC showup. Looks quite good today after F1's decade long absence.

But it's surely just gonna be Monza with the first chicane irritating the Germans, and asphaltpolica blinding everyones eyes in the sunshine.
Can count on you remind us of runoff at every track Id prefer Imola over Monza, but Monza would see some LM package use.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 22:53 (Ref:3566816)   #22
Chiana
Veteran

Just to clarify I'd still prefer Monza over every current WEC track, except Le Mans (and maybe Ring)
Old 18 Aug 2015, 23:34 (Ref:3566826)   #23
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
I went with Monza. The Brazilian economy is a complete mess at the moment, which makes — or should make — Interlagos much less likely right now.

From Bloomberg:

Quote:
…inflation is above the central bank’s target and unemployment is at a five-year high. Moody’s Investors Service said in a report Monday the economy will contract about 2 percent in 2015. Brazil’s real is the worst-performing major currency in the world this year.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 23:40 (Ref:3566828)   #24
Chiana
Veteran

Also the alleged issues with Fittipaldi's people which were prob the real reason for fleeing in the first place.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 02:21 (Ref:3566855)   #25
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they can add a 9th race at a half decent track and close up the gap between Le Mans and the first post Le Mans race I'll take it as a solid improvement.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 03:09 (Ref:3566862)   #26
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
Spaniard in Mexico City
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Monza is the most likely if they actually add a venue.
Mexico City would be very convenient for me though.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 05:36 (Ref:3566875)   #27
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
I know that circuit talk is a big deal right now in this thread, but I'm wondering about evolutionary changes to the LMP1 cars. One of the big areas where it seems that Audi are a cut above Porsche and Toyota this year is in aero. This is mostly with the front end treatment on the R18 and how on the Silverstone sprint bodywork and the high and low downforce evolutions of their LM package they dealt with the air flow to the front diffuser and especially the front tuning vanes mounted behind the diffuser.

That would mean some pretty significant changes to the front ends of the Porsche and Toyota LMP1s--the TS050 would have to revert to the open nose of the 2012 TS030 and the Porsche would need a pretty major front bodywork redesign, and then there'd have to be changes to the rear to balance out the changes made to the front.

But would those teams make such major aero changes with one more year of these regs existing in their current form? Depending on the resources TMG are allowed, they can pull the trigger, since the TS050 is set to be pretty much a new car, even if the chassis design carries over (unlikely IMO, but stranger things have happened). I don't know if Porsche will, not due to lack of time or resources, but the 919 has always had a pretty low-drag aero philosophy behind it. Even though the Audi LM package can be as described by one driver as "high downforce, low drag", that would mean a pretty significant re-think for the Porsche from a packaging/aero philosophy stand point.

And as we saw last year--and might see this year--Porsche's HD spec car might be just a slightly tweaked LM package aimed at improving downforce marginally while retaining the best of the LM's low drag specs.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 06:52 (Ref:3566881)   #28
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Why do people think that Monza is so likely - there is talk of them not being able to keep the GP and the sportscar races there previously had a pretty poor attendance. Fine if we have a works P1 Ferrari on the way but otherwise I am not sure there is a business case for it.

I think another race in the Americas is the most likely and of those I would prefer Montreal followed by Interlagos
Old 19 Aug 2015, 10:34 (Ref:3566911)   #29
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontecarlo, Oop North
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
But back to the main point, no, I'd rather see the series at the right venues than my local ones. I don't have much interest in championships, I just watch races that interest me, so if I don't want to watch it in the first place, I won't go to it anywhere in the world. If it's somewhere I like, I can save up and aspire to do it once.
Curious, why isn't Silverstone the right venue? The track layout as it is now may not be what everyone likes but there's nothing wrong with the facilities!? I think one of the major world racing championships missing out on a country which is home to a large percentage of it's followers doesn't make sense. Just move it to August or July please ACO?

Personally and slightly selfishly I would love it to go to Donington but that's just me.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 11:20 (Ref:3566917)   #30
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
True, it was better when it was in August, but that was on the previous iteration of the circuit so I'm biased.

To me it's not the right venue because it looks ridiculous both on TV and in person when there are so many tens of thousands of empty seats. It's also an unnecessarily huge venue for 30 cars. Same problem as COTA and Shanghai.

On a personal level, they also destroyed the remaining credibility of the circuit for me when they removed the Abbey/Bridge sequence, which was by far my favourite part of the track. Even when they put the chicane at Abbey it was fine, because when you stood trackside between the two corners they were exiting the chicane and pushing towards the wall where you were stood.

In addition to the extra carpark-runoffs that they've added all around the circuit, there's almost nowhere on the track I want to stand.

Finally, the venue is just not friendly to spectators at all. The old pits used to have plenty of atmosphere but the new complex is miles away, there are twice as many buses for VIPs and photographers than for the great unwashed and the whole place is bereft of atmosphere and scenery, like a video game model that they haven't finished yet.

Chiana has a dislike of Spa, but when you're at Spa there are loads of great, unspoiled sections of the track. At Silverstone, there is not really anywhere that I can stand still for an hour an enjoy it. Maybe the fence at the entry to Vale, maybe the inside at the entrance to Beckett's, but not really. I used to spend hours there, on the outside of Bridge and on the exit of Club (when you could see from Stowe to Abbey), but no longer.

So personally, that's why I'd rather go to Spa, Monza or the Nurburgring (although I detest the new start sequence) once every two years than Silverstone each year.

Does it have a large percentage of the WEC's followers? Sportscar racing in general seems to really struggle here compared to Belgium, France and Germany, as far as I can tell; the only sportscar event that attracts over 50,000 Brits each year isn't even held in the country!

Judging by the number of posters on here from Yorkshire though, we should hold an endurance race on the streets of Leeds if we want to change that...

Last edited by Rodger Davies; 19 Aug 2015 at 11:29.