Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Jan 2004, 20:29 (Ref:854207)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'New' Group B Rally DVD's

I have just watched a couple of the French APV Reportages Group B DVDs that are now available from www.rallywebshop.com and would highly recommend any Group B, or rally fan for that matter, to check them out.

They cover World, European and national championship action from 1984-86.

Theres no commentary, just the sounds of the cars in Dolbly Digital.

I have not seem 90% of the footage in any UK DVDs/Videos, and it really is a delight to see/listen to the likes of the Quattro S1, Delta S4 and 205 T16 E2 being pushed to their absolute limits.

One very striking observation from the DVD's are the totally uncontrolled crowds from Portugals WRC round in 1985/6.

It really is frightening to see how many close shaves there actually was. How the rallies were allowed to go ahead simply beggers belief.

Last edited by JAG; 28 Jan 2004 at 20:30.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:27 (Ref:856374)   #2
moyzer
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldermaston, Berks
moyzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know what you mean about the crowds. I was lucky enough to get a copy of Portugal 86 on video for xmas, and I was appauled at the footage of Joachim Santos in the RS200 plunging into the crowd (who were ridiculously standing on the outside of the bend). The coverage of the incident was just too graphic for my liking. Quite upsetting in fact.

It was this incident that caused the top teams to retire from that particular rally, and was no doubt a catalyst, apart from the death of the great Henri Toivenen and his co driver (Sergio Cresta I think), in the decision that pulled the plug on Group B.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:05 (Ref:856611)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I could not believe the Santos accident was included in the official 1986 WRC review video!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:19 (Ref:856634)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think there had to be a reference to it in the video - it was a defining moment in rallying history - but there is no need to include footage of the accident itself.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 12:41 (Ref:865371)   #5
Navigator
Rookie

Navigator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I talked to Malcom Wilson about the Kim Santos accident shortly after the rally (he was driving for Rover in the 6R4 at the time). A Portugese journalist couldn't understand why the top WRC drivers had pulled out of the event and Malcolm explained it was out of respect for the dead and to ensure it wouldn't happen there again. The journalist's reponse was "They were Portugese who were killed. I am Portugese and I don't care - why do you?" Incredible!