Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jan 2019, 16:58 (Ref:3873639)   #176
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Young people are guilty of not voting in much larger numbers. My opinion is voting should be law, as in Australia.

As far as Simons original post . . . .if I renew my license to International C, and either current option happens . . . .will I be allowed to race on the continent with it?
David - if you have an Intl licence you are often not allowed to race in foreign National status races. My dad's cousin had a South African International licence and couldn't compete in the UK on it except in international permit events.

And NEAFP may be a loophole that the FIA would love to plug. I don't know if.it.only applies to EU licence holders or whether currently it applies to non EU as well.

So it would seem Joe could race in the six hours but not in "Barry's" race at the same meeting. Although I don't have a 2019 Blue Book to check that.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Jan 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3873641)   #177
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
This 'young v old' theme keeps cropping up every now and then and like a lot of the on-going Brexit debate isn't exactly illuminating of the issues. Perhaps more of the young people now up in arms about Brexit should have bothered to vote. Quoting from the above article:

'YouGov found that young people who did not vote in the 2016 referendum are particularly supportive of calls for another poll.

Among under-25s who did not vote in 2016 but would be certain to do so in a new referendum, 82 per cent said they would back Remain'.

So perhaps they should have voted in the first place.
But just like back in the '70s - would anyone know what they were voting for?

There was no way and is still no way that a referendum could be used to present a view of the future no matter what the outcome.

No one can readily predict what will happen within the EU - certainly no more today than in the 70's or at the time of Major in Maastricht.

It was always likely to be a last minute "agreement" no matter what the agreement might be - simply because there was no expectation of any country ever being able to exit once it had joined. Ireland being an example.

Nothing is ever settled and the economics of the region - especially in terms of the Euro - seems to be decidedly suspect. It will be interesting to see what Draghi's replacement comes up with to keep things rolling.

Remember that all countries in the EU are supposed to take steps to also become part of the Eurozone. It's part of the deal.

The land mass of Europe has had many periods of history in the past 5 or 600 years where groups of 'countries' ( a term used for simplification here) have made alliances and apparently worked together and in some instance huge and influential Empires have been build and survived for extended periods.

In the end they all collapsed and the EU is basically the latest iteration of Empire building. It is no better founded than any of the others in reality so it will be interesting, for those looking forward to long lives, to see how everything develops.

IMO.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3873645)   #178
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exactly.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3873647)   #179
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Did an International license exists pre 1974? I was only 3 with a flagrant disregard for the law on my trike, or in my pedal car beach buggy!

Voting turn outs are poor full stop, the young are more guilty for sure, but the whole system is broken. Not just Brexit but politics in general.
Politics is what it is at any point in time.

It cannot be broken - just something that one may want to influence to go in a different direction to the current direction.

Or not, as the case may be.

Anyway, politicians don't run things - we would not be here if they did.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3873653)   #180
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Young people are guilty of not voting in much larger numbers. My opinion is voting should be law, as in Australia.

As far as Simons original post . . . .if I renew my license to International C, and either current option happens . . . .will I be allowed to race on the continent with it?
Voting is obligatory in Belgium as well and presumably a few other EU countries.

Given the FIA is effectively a private club I doubt that any changes within the EU will affect FIA licencing issues, it's not like road driving licences which are regulated by governments and therefore might involve the EU.

I think that National events not accepting International licencees (e.g. "foreigners") is because the organisers haven't paid the higher fee for an International event licence?
Old 2 Jan 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3873668)   #181
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah I've Googled it and can't find any reference to NEAFP referring to EU only. So good to go it seems in reply to Joe's original question.

Old 2 Jan 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3873671)   #182
midgetman
Veteran

And my Google search came up.with something from Midgetman pointing that out elsewhere on Tenths. Ah well blame the bang on the head

Old 2 Jan 2019, 20:34 (Ref:3873698)   #183
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Ah I've Googled it and can't find any reference to NEAFP referring to EU only. So good to go it seems in reply to Joe's original question.

Glad you googled it rather than look in your Blue Book, as nobody gets a BB with this year's renewal. If you want a paper copy they're 34 quid. One of Mr Richard's moves to support grass-roots motorsport, make the rules less accessible...
Old 2 Jan 2019, 20:45 (Ref:3873701)   #184
midgetman
Veteran

Errrrr......you're the one who normally says "let Google be your friend "

I haven't used a paper BB for years. Even at the circuit I look at it on my phone. Witness the fact I don't know where my THREE 2017 copies are!

Old 7 Jan 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3874413)   #185
midgetman
Veteran

I'm getting a big sense of deja vu about all this dire Brexit stuff. Flashback to 1998/9 and the Millennium Bug when traffic lights were going to go haywire and planes fall out of the sky because computers couldn't handle Y2K.

Someone somewhere is making a lot of money just like then. We've seen the ferry wheeze, I suppose Manston is on a tidy retainer too. Plus of course the softening up of the public to a change of plan. A good marketing plan.

Old 7 Jan 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3874417)   #186
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm getting a big sense of deja vu about all this dire Brexit stuff.
Someone somewhere is making a lot of money just like then. We've seen the ferry wheeze, I suppose Manston is on a tidy retainer too. Plus of course the softening up of the public to a change of plan. A good marketing plan
We’ve got the so called ‘Meaningful Vote’ to look forward to next week! Or not.....

Old 7 Jan 2019, 09:03 (Ref:3874419)   #187
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Never gonna happen. Just like the original scare stories, that have been proven severely incorrect, the transport delay thing is just a ploy to make people scared of a WTO deal.

Happy to be proved wrong of course.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 10:35 (Ref:3874426)   #188
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm getting a big sense of deja vu about all this dire Brexit stuff. Flashback to 1998/9 and the Millennium Bug when traffic lights were going to go haywire and planes fall out of the sky because computers couldn't handle Y2K.

Someone somewhere is making a lot of money just like then. We've seen the ferry wheeze, I suppose Manston is on a tidy retainer too. Plus of course the softening up of the public to a change of plan. A good marketing plan.

Aids was going to bring about the end of the world, Asian flu was going to wipe out civilisation, Mad Cow disease meant we were all going to go mad and die. I'm still waiting for one or the other to finish me off, so I'm not worried about Brexit atall.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3874427)   #189
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

The Brexit thing is all about bureaucracy (the acceptance of it being run in a certain way and according to certain principles), political egos, bureaucrat's egos and who pays.

Just like the EU.

There are, of course, plenty of opportunities to make mischief through bureaucracy should people wish to do so.

How the results of such mischief would affect the economy is something we are likely to find out soon - unless, of course, the entire pantomime is just a theatrical event leading up to a 'no change' result and an ever extended departure deadline.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3874428)   #190
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Some here may have a long enough experience of travel to Offshore Europe via Dover to appreciate this article. How things change over time.

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87107

Also this one.

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87109
Old 7 Jan 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3874432)   #191
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Some here may have a long enough experience of travel to Offshore Europe via Dover to appreciate this article. How things change over time.

I am certainly of an age to remember travelling to Europe in the early 50s with a car, once via Dover and the second time through Folkestone. The first time was in my late grandfather's long wheelbase Daimler limousine, and the second time in a long wheelbase Riley saloon. And I can remember the cars being craned aboard the ships.

On the trip in the Daimler, the car was chock-a-block with passengers, and as there were not enough seats for all of us, I was sat on a large square tin that had once been used to store and transport bags of Smith's crisps (with the little blue wrap of salt in the bag). This was for the three day drive from our home in North London to the coast of the Adriatic (possibly Jeselo) with an overnight stop in Paris, a further one somewhere in Switzerland before having the car loaded on to a flat bed train to go through the Simplon Tunnel into Italy.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3874440)   #192
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I am certainly of an age to remember travelling to Europe in the early 50s with a car, once via Dover and the second time through Folkestone. The first time was in my late grandfather's long wheelbase Daimler limousine, and the second time in a long wheelbase Riley saloon. And I can remember the cars being craned aboard the ships.

On the trip in the Daimler, the car was chock-a-block with passengers, and as there were not enough seats for all of us, I was sat on a large square tin that had once been used to store and transport bags of Smith's crisps (with the little blue wrap of salt in the bag). This was for the three day drive from our home in North London to the coast of the Adriatic (possibly Jeselo) with an overnight stop in Paris, a further one somewhere in Switzerland before having the car loaded on to a flat bed train to go through the Simplon Tunnel into Italy.

Fabulous story, Mike.

Very different times back then.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3874441)   #193
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87107

Also this one.

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87109
Good comedy in that lot.

If I were a betting man I'd suggest that the writer has a hard on for this Lilley bloke. Once again it misses the point that the French, who want the product but are currently doing nothing about obtaining it. The UK may indeed need to put some effort in too but it's a two way street. Besides if the shortage stories are in fact true we won't be exporting anything anyway it'll all be staying in the UK to feed the domestic market.

In summary complete tosh.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 12:35 (Ref:3874449)   #194
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

To steal a Delta-ism, Happy Days !
Great story and memories Mike.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3874450)   #195
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
What is correct in those blogs, in my opinion, is that Dover / Calais (and Dunkirk to a certain extent) is the only efficient route for volume freight traffic. The only way it could be improved would be to have built a bridge or to have allowed traffic to drive through the tunnel. Ramsgate / Ostend is never going to take anything like enough traffic to make a difference.....

Luckily I can avoid Dover for almost all my crossings!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 12:43 (Ref:3874452)   #196
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
What is correct in those blogs, in my opinion, is that Dover / Calais (and Dunkirk to a certain extent) is the only efficient route for volume freight traffic. The only way it could be improved would be to have built a bridge or to have allowed traffic to drive through the tunnel. Ramsgate / Ostend is never going to take anything like enough traffic to make a difference.....

Oh, and regarding the Manston PR stunt this morning, I gather 150 trucks were promised, and 89 turned up......
Old 7 Jan 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3874456)   #197
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Oh, and regarding the Manston PR stunt this morning, I gather 150 trucks were promised, and 89 turned up......
As I said the issue is a red herring. Businesses know what they've got to do and whilst there may be a minor amount of disruption,, it won't be Armageddon.

Quote:

My point concerning the overall thing. It's a big anti PR stunt. Don't know about you but the percentage of livestock/foodstuff trucks I see during any one crossing are a minimal percentage of the overall traffic. If let's say, 25% are that type of truck daily then a separate route through the port is feasible, without disrupting the entire process and once they have that flowing smoothly nobody will notice the difference. Although I'm sure this thinking is too simple.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3874457)   #198
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
My point concerning the overall thing. It's a big anti PR stunt. Don't know about you but the percentage of livestock/foodstuff trucks I see during any one crossing are a minimal percentage of the overall traffic. If let's say, 25% are that type of truck daily then a separate route through the port is feasible, without disrupting the entire process and once they have that flowing smoothly nobody will notice the difference. Although I'm sure this thinking is too simple.
Yes, most common livestock I see are competition horses in posh transporters!

Idea- make Ramsgate / Ostend livestock only, then they can set up the specific health / quarantine facilities in the ports......
Old 7 Jan 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3874466)   #199
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:

Idea- make Ramsgate / Ostend livestock only, then they can set up the specific health / quarantine facilities in the ports......
Bingo (ish)
Old 7 Jan 2019, 13:57 (Ref:3874470)   #200
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Does that include refugees and the working classes?

Quote: