Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Dec 2020, 16:29 (Ref:4022921)   #1
mogwai
Rookie

United Kingdom
mogwai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmogwai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curious about Schnitzer

Sorry if this is not the place to post this but on the heels of the announcement of Schnitzer closing shop I have become interested in the settlement with Charly's estate.

If I recall, Charly stepped aside in 2018(?) and passed soon after.

It strikes me odd that the Schnitzer would have been so hamstrung by Charly's estate cashing out his shares. Certainly it is normal with firm's to pay partner shares out to an estate at passing, but the language used and the financial burden it appears to have placed on the company makes me wonder if there was something less than amicable going on.

To whit: From TouringCarTimes "The payment of the company shares in 2020 to the widow v. Charly Lamm was an enormous financial burden for the company,” said team manager Herbert Schnitzer Jr to LSR-Freun.de."

And then from DSC a couple days ago (this appears to be paraphrased from the TCT column); "...this a response to a combination of factors including the COVID19 down-turn, a financial settlement with the estate of long-time Team Principal Charly Lamm"

Had Schnitzer been running that hand to mouth for that long or was there something under the covers which made the settlement between Lamm and Schnitzer less than savory after he departed? Was Schnitzer Jr. left with too much on his hands following Charly's passing?

I realize I'm asking for conjecture here but even as a midwestern american boy, the Schnitzer name was so closely tied to BMW that someone who grew up in the sticks like I did still knew it. The heady days of late 1990's BMW still make me yearn for sportscars like that. Anyway, seeing it disappear is pretty depressing and I have a hard time understanding why.

I realize that BMW leaving was likely the biggest issue, and that COVID was a factor but Herbert Schnitzer Jr is clear that it is COVID combined with the settlement with Charly's estate was a contributory cause. I do financial analysis for a living, that strikes of ill-will or pure mismanagement or a series of cascading issues and it tickles my curiosity.
Old 14 Dec 2020, 16:40 (Ref:4022925)   #2
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The lack of competitive track action post Charly’s passing was a telling factor. 1 M6 never at the front of the grid tells all. 😢
Old 30 Jan 2021, 23:01 (Ref:4032234)   #3
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Herb Schnitzer Jr is not Charly. No heart, no soul, no expertise. Still hope someone takes over the team, fire him and keep the brand "Schnitzer". I doubt, but I can dream.
Old 3 Feb 2021, 13:35 (Ref:4033232)   #4
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schnitzer is gone...
http://gt-place.com/2021/02/03/vorau...-zu-verkaufen/
Old 3 Feb 2021, 18:44 (Ref:4033302)   #5
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's terribly sad. Schnitzer was such a legendary team that seemed to go on forever... hard to believe they'll no longer be around. Unfortunately I didn't believe in any kind of miracle that would save them
Old 3 Feb 2021, 18:45 (Ref:4033303)   #6
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not the first legendary team to go

anyone remember ZAKSPEED ?
Old 3 Feb 2021, 20:28 (Ref:4033324)   #7
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
not the first legendary team to go

anyone remember ZAKSPEED ?
Well, Zakspeed exist and is since many years a really healthy team.

2021 they´ll run:
- 2 Cars ADAC GT Masters
- 2-3 Cars ADAC GT4 Germany
- likely 2 Cars GT4 European Series
- maybe with the Viper GT3 on the Nordschleife
- in the GT Winter Series
- and have a really good historic arm.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4033446)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I always assumed racing team and tuner AC Schnitzer was the same company or at least had same owners but apparently it's not.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 14:25 (Ref:4033448)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Well, Zakspeed exist and is since many years a really healthy team.

2021 they´ll run:
- 2 Cars ADAC GT Masters
- 2-3 Cars ADAC GT4 Germany
- likely 2 Cars GT4 European Series
- maybe with the Viper GT3 on the Nordschleife
- in the GT Winter Series
- and have a really good historic arm.
But it took some time to recover.

Over the years other touring car teams have disappeared, like Bigazzi and Eggenberger.
Old 5 Feb 2021, 23:20 (Ref:4033668)   #10
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Herbie Schnitzer is not his father. A problem is an expectation gone wrong.