Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 1 Dec 2002, 16:04 (Ref:440567)   #1
johndoe1980
Rookie

johndoe1980 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The awards banquet...

I'm not looking forward to this one at all... No not because Jr. is not the champ... It sounds to me like they are going to make a circus out of the thing... I know Nascar is trying expand their audience, but Sherly Crow has no business at a Nascar ceremony... JMO!!! I think they should keep it strictly racing... I want to watch Nascar have it's night, and not feel like I'm watching the MTV videos awards... As for presenters... I think they should have the drivers that did not finish in the top ten do the presentations to their peers... To me that would be much better then a bunch of stuffed shirts that don't know the first thing about racing... Let some of the drivers that raced their hearts out, but didn't fininsh in the top ten have their moment in the spot light... JMO folks...
Old 1 Dec 2002, 21:45 (Ref:440756)   #2
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a pretty good idea of having other drivers make the presentations. I also agree on keeping the Sheryl Crow, Britney Spears type out of the show. I have no desire to see them at a Nascar function.
Old 1 Dec 2002, 23:38 (Ref:440802)   #3
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
RaceFanStan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool idea !!!

hey johndoe1980,
I think it would be really cool for the drivers 11th to 20th to present the trophys.

I have to agree about the celebs being involved,
NASCAR is "messing up" trying to appeal to all audiences !
Old 5 Dec 2002, 13:09 (Ref:443260)   #4
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well The celebrities or not-- I will be there - all eyes watching & absorbing it all. I love watching the guys all gussied up & looking their best.

I wish it was really in the BANQUET sene again. Not this auditorium deal. I used to enjoy seeing them sitting at the tables & taking toasts (remember the Milk?) It just seemed more natural, than this sitting in a seat, all posed for the camera deal.

I just hope that the drivers show some personality on stage, give me a few giggles & give us something to talk about.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 14:10 (Ref:443317)   #5
Lee Roy
Rookie

Lee Roy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is a Sheryl Crow?
Old 5 Dec 2002, 18:33 (Ref:443538)   #6
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
RaceFanStan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I know

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Roy
What is a Sheryl Crow?
Heckle & Jeckle's wild sister ! LMAO
Old 7 Dec 2002, 05:34 (Ref:444840)   #7
Roselady3
Veteran

The show went down real nice. Cheryl Crow, who has entertained at several NASCAR events this year, did a good job. So did 3rd Eye.

I thought Tony was excellant. He came off very relaxed & was having fun with it all. The deal with the photographers was great. I knew that he would have something funny happening. I guessed that he might accidently "bump" into somebody on stage. What he did was better. He was a class act all the way down to his presentation of his "anger management certificate"

Over all- it was a very CLASSY afair. I was impressed.
Old 7 Dec 2002, 05:43 (Ref:444842)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was agony.

Is anyone else getting tired of the over-cheesed marketing of NASCAR? From the songs they use, to the terrible bad jokes, its just so overdone.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 16:53 (Ref:445693)   #9
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overdone, maybe, but still the most popular racing series in the world.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 17:42 (Ref:445708)   #10
Russfeld
Veteran

its not even close. CART gets as good TV ratings in Brazil as NASCAR does in North America, and F1 makes everything else look like pop warn football. Biggest in North America, by a landslide no question. Worldwide, insignificant.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 19:54 (Ref:445766)   #11
Roselady3
Veteran

World wide- we could care less.

FACT- There is no other racing series that brings in 100,000 fans (minimum, some tracks hold 180,000- sold out for each race) EVERYWEEK for 38 weeks of the year.
No other racing series has 42 cars, 42 drivers to choose from each week. 42 drivers that are making millions from the sport. THEN we can discuss the lower levels of NASCAR.

Insignificant? HA
Old 8 Dec 2002, 20:53 (Ref:445788)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

compared to F1, yes, it is unimportant. Remember there's an entire world outside the 50 states....
Old 8 Dec 2002, 23:06 (Ref:445879)   #13
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roselady, what did Tony do regarding the photographers? Sounds like a great ol' knees up!
Old 8 Dec 2002, 23:49 (Ref:445918)   #14
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Russ...what are the numbers for CART and FI in TV ratings, ie how many tune in for a race?
Old 8 Dec 2002, 23:53 (Ref:445925)   #15
Lee Roy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
its not even close. CART gets as good TV ratings in Brazil as NASCAR does in North America, and F1 makes everything else look like pop warn football. Biggest in North America, by a landslide no question. Worldwide, insignificant.
I would agree that Formula One is bigger on TV than NASCAR, but please don't bring up CART. NASCAR has a TV contract for hundreds of millions of dollars a year. According to CART financial statements, they lose money on TV.

I've heard a lot of BS about CART having big TV ratings worldwide, but when you look for the evidence to support those claims, it just isn't there.

Last edited by Lee Roy; 8 Dec 2002 at 23:54.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 01:44 (Ref:445998)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

US Ratings for NASCAR seem to average about 4-5. US ratings for IRL and CART on network is about .7-1 and on Speedvision/ESPN .3-.5

CART gets a 4-5mil audience per race in Brazil, about US-level ratings in Europe and Canada/Mexico and I think 2-3mil in the Asia-Pacific reason. Its actually fairly strong internationally, but pales in comaprison to F1, and unfortunately there arent a lot of companies where a lot of North AMerican races but poor North America TV and strong International TV help them.

F1 is about 280-300mil per race I beleive on the recent figures. There was 6 billion 'viewers' over the course of the 17 races, at least in 2001. Thats 17x350mil each. This season with 16 races and some reduced TV, lets say 4.5bil viewers. Thats not all individuals though. If I watch all 16 races I count for 16 total season viewers. But the 300mil per race is individual viewers.

So really you can say more people watch 1 F1 race than the entire NASCAR season. Ive got some figures in a PDF file, for instance about 9mil watch each race in Germany, 7mil watch in Italy, etc. So a country 1/5 the size of the US has two times as much in % watching F1 than America has NASCAR.

However F1 doesnt have the saturation of culture in its countries that NASCAR has in the US. I think thats becuase of the majority of F1 fans are very casual fans who just watch it because they enjoy motorracing, whereas a good portion of NASCAR fans are very loyal and very into their racing.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 02:39 (Ref:446021)   #17
Roselady3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapper Baz
Roselady, what did Tony do regarding the photographers? Sounds like a great ol' knees up!
When he finally got to the podium, he pulled out a large camera & stood & took pictures of different Media photographers. (they had their own section in the auditorium) He laughed & said that it was fun - & that he was gonna try it out in the garage next year. Heh-Heh- If a photographer gets in his face- he'll just do the return- Get in their face. See how they like it!

It was a very cute thing- But we all knew that he would do something "special" as he always has. He's quite a character & was a ham that night.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 04:39 (Ref:446053)   #18
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Russ...The US numbers for CART are about right with the .5 to .7 ratings but you are considerably off with the Nascar numbers. The Brickyard 400 alone had 21 million viewers and that was exceeded by the Daytona 500. Of course the US also has CART, IRL, Busch, Craftsman truck, NHRA, and many more major series that they support.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 05:22 (Ref:446070)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

Im just going off of publically availible ratings from the networks compared against the stuff given to me by the various series

In the case of the Brickyard
August 4

Winston Cup - Indianapolis: 6.3 rating (NBC); 6,692,000 HH; #1 sports program
Old 9 Dec 2002, 11:04 (Ref:446220)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART's ratings in Europe comparable to the ones in the US? I doubt that, especially considering - as far as I know - that of all the countries in Europe, you were only able to see CART live in Sweden and Great Britain.

Last edited by rustyfan; 9 Dec 2002 at 11:08.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 13:52 (Ref:446284)   #21
Lee Roy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
CART gets a 4-5mil audience per race in Brazil, about US-level ratings in Europe and Canada/Mexico and I think 2-3mil in the Asia-Pacific reason. Its actually fairly strong internationally . . .
Russ, I've heard all that data before, but have never seen any real evidence to support it. There may be some popularity in Mexico, and I know there is popularity in Canada, but I've also seen NASCAR races broadcast in French in Quebec. And I've seen a lot of griping on CART boards by Canadians because they constantly see NASCAR stuff (apparel and such) everywhere, but very little CART stuff. (I ran into a guy wearing a Mark Martin shirt when I attended the 1996 Canadian GP.)

As far as CART's European audience goes, all year I've been hearing the European fans on the CART forums complaining about not being able to see the races. And when they were getting them in past years, they were usually one hour condensed versions shown a week later, if they were lucky.

And if CART is so popular outside of North America (of NASCAR proportions, as you claim) then why have they lost all of their overseas races, with the exception of the Australian race? Why don't they get any TV revenue if they have such large TV audiences? Why have Toyota, Honda and Mercedes Benz all abandoned CART?

I've heard the big international TV audinence claims before. I've yet to see any evidence to support it.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 14:15 (Ref:446307)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
[B]As far as CART's European audience goes, all year I've been hearing the European fans on the CART forums complaining about not being able to see the races. And when they were getting them in past years, they were usually one hour condensed versions shown a week later, if they were lucky.
You are right on the money with that observation, and during 2002 Eurosport - which is the most widespread sports-channel in Europe - again limited the CART, ALMS, IRL and Winston Cup coverage to separate 1-hour highlight shows shown 1 week delayed.

And, I mean, not even a live CART race is sometimes the most interesting thing to watch, and then imagine having to watch it delayed one week, cut down to one hour and you already know the result (it's impossible to not get spoiled in today's society).

Though I got CART live this year (and it was shown for one reason only: that Kenny Bräck raced in CART), I would have preferred to get the IRL or Winston Cup live instead considering how bad the majority of the CART races were this year...

Since Bräck is switching to the IRL I'm probably going to have to settle for no live racing from the US once again in 2003 as Sky Sports maintains exclusive live rights for the IRL and always stops other networks - even national! - from showing IRL live.

Yup, the tv-situation for motorsports in Europe is pathetic (a combination of Sky Sport's dictator-like ways and Eurosport's stupidity).

Oh well, at least we get all the MotoGP races live

(ugh, sorry for going completely off-topic here, but I just had to vent a little)
Old 9 Dec 2002, 15:33 (Ref:446344)   #23
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Facts: 21 million viewers watched the Brickyard 400 and 35 million watched the Daytona 500.

February 19, 2002
8:42 AM EST (1342 GMT)
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Sunday’s NASCAR Winston Cup Series Daytona 500 earned a 10.9 rating/26 share for NBC’s inaugural broadcast of the ”Great American Race,” becoming the highest-rated and most-viewed broadcast in NASCAR history.

NBC’s telecast eclipsed the previous Daytona 500 high of a 10.5 in 1979, as well as last year’s 10.0/24 rating by nine percent. Thirty-five million viewers watched all or part of NBC’s coverage of the Daytona 500, surpassing last year’s previous record of 32 million viewers.

Last edited by muggle not; 9 Dec 2002 at 15:35.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 15:35 (Ref:446345)   #24
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
35 million.. lol, that's almost 4 times the entire population of Sweden
Old 9 Dec 2002, 15:56 (Ref:446364)   #25
Russfeld
Veteran

Yeah, the Daytona 500 got the largest audience of the year, whats your point

Quote:

Why don't they get any TV revenue if they have such large TV audiences? Why have Toyota, Honda and Mercedes Benz all abandoned CART?

I've heard the big international TV audinence claims before. I've yet to see any evidence to support it.
I think the problem is CART survives mainly on US companies with US interest. Why would Honda USA and Toyota North America care about market share overseas? Thats what the F1 programs are for. CART, business wide, is a bit of an anamoly and sadly its to its detriment.

The numbers generally come from the networks or some sort of network monitoring system *shrug*